SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-07-15, 11:03 AM   #1
wanderjar
Swabbie

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default Mod Install Help

Hello!

If I'm posting this in the wrong area, I sincerely apologize as I am new here. To begin, I have read through dozens of pages on this forum and still haven't been able to fully figure out the solution to my problem, so I assure all of you that I have indeed used the search function to solve this on my own.

My problem is that though I've been playing SHIV since it's release, I have never tried to use mods before a couple days ago. Unfortunately I can't seem to install them. I do have the Uboat Campaigns expansion, and GME.

This is my current setup:

If you can't read it (I had to reduce the size of the image to fit the page), the order is:

1. Webster's GFO v.1.1
2. Webster's New Orders Bar Menu for v1.5
3. Ship Pack

I'm trying to install cdp44's ship pack, using the mods he tested them with. That said, I've also tried to install other mods and could not make them work either, so clearly I'm doing something fundamentally wrong. I appreciate any help and guidance you all take the time to provide me.

-Chris 'Wanderjar'
wanderjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-15, 12:30 PM   #2
SilentPrey
Navy Dude

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 2

Make sure your file structure is correct. After you enable with JSGME you should not see a new folder with the mod name in the SH4 directory.

My directory structure is:
C:\Steam\steamapps\common\silent hunters wolves of the pacific\MODS\1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
with Data and Documentation folders inside.

If you have:
C:\Steam\steamapps\common\silent hunters wolves of the pacific\MODS\1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5\1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
or something similar then JSGME is putting the files in the wrong place when you enable the mod and the game isn't seeing them. If this is the case, just move the folder inside into the mod directory and delete the now empty one. (Some mods are double packed.)

That's the most likely explanation I can think of. The only other thing that comes to mind is that you have to allow the overwrites when you install mods over the top of other mods. Get mods that are compatible with the others you are using and let them overwrite already modified files. You can end up with some pretty tall stacks all working together this way. Some of the SH5 mod lists run into multiple pages.
SilentPrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-15, 12:31 PM   #3
SilentPrey
Navy Dude

And Welcome to SubSim!
Old 08-07-15, 12:51 PM   #4
wanderjar
Swabbie

Thank you very much! I'm not using the steam version, I actually have the DVD, but I'm sure the process is the same. Thanks again for the advice. I'll try it out and post back if it works.
Old 08-07-15, 01:16 PM   #5
wanderjar
Swabbie

Okay it is duplicating the mods into the directory, but not the MOD folder. I tried taking the files from the directory and putting them into the actual folder, but they're not empty, just duplicates. Still nothing works though. I'll try a different mod and see if it was just this one in particular, or if I'm still messing up somewhere. If this doesn't work, I'll take screenshots of the entire process so you can see *everything* I do, and hopefully work this out.
Old 08-07-15, 01:55 PM   #6
wanderjar
Swabbie

Still not working, so here's my process.

My unmodded directory:

Dropped .RAR files into MOD folder.

Unpacked the .RARs into the MOD folder.

I took the .RARs out of the MOD folder, leaving the unpacked folders. Then I loaded up GME and activated the mods I want.

The result was a series of duplicates in the directory.

But the folders in the MOD folder weren't empty. What do I do from here?
Old 08-07-15, 06:19 PM   #7
Fearless
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 340
Uploads: 1

Welcome aboard wanderjar.

I noticed that the MODS folder is sitting inside a folder named JSGME.

The MODS folder should be sitting in th SH4 folder that is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\MODS

not

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\JSGME\MODS

The best thing to do is to remove the MODS folder out of the JSGME folder and delete the JSGME folder. and see if that works. if it doesn't, uninstall JSGME than place the JSGME installer in the root directory of Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific than run the installer to reinstall JSGME. It should than locate the MODS folder and you should be right to go. When you run JSGME, you can see that it now displays the MODS folder link as

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\MODS

Also there's no need to have the rar files sitting inside the MODS folder after you have extracted them. Your choice of course.

Hope this helps.

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8 Core 16 Thread CPU, 3.8GHz Base Clock, 4.7GHz Boost, 105W TDP, 32MB L3 cache | MSI GeForce RTX3060Ti 8Gb Graphics | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32Gb (2x16Gb) 3200 MHz CL16 DDR4 Ram | Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe SSD 1TB | Seagate Barracuda 2.5in 2TB HDD | AOC QHD 165 Hz FreeSync HDR curved 31.5in Monitor | ASUS ROG Strix LC 240 ARGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler White Edition | ASUS ROG Strix Gold 750W Modular Power Supply | Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Tempered Glass Mid Tower Case White.

Last edited by Fearless; 08-07-15 at 06:35 PM.
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-15, 09:53 PM   #8
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

I noticed the same thing about the JSGME folder.

Additionally, there might be a problem installing the game in the Programs folder. Maybe it works ok for you, but many Vista, Win7 users report problems with installs in the programs folder. I have Win7 and installed in a folder I created:
C:\Special Games\Silent Hunter 4
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-15, 11:14 PM   #9
wanderjar
Swabbie

It worked! Thank you so much everyone!
Old 08-08-15, 12:31 PM   #10
SilentPrey
Navy Dude

Glad to hear it. Now you know how to mod a whole host of games.

Good hunting!