SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-02-22, 08:55 PM   #481
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
the maps are just screen shots from the Mission Editor.
Mostly between southern Kyushu and Formosa where you blocked off all of the transits routes between the Pacific and the East China Sea.

Got ya, thought you meant you made a map.

SHHHHH don't reveal that publicly on the forum , about where the mines are lol

Definitely not all blocked off, some gaps in the islands are too large/deep to realistically mine

Based it on a map/docs I found while researching for mod, plus some subs disappeared in those areas, believed to have hit mines. Serves add some challenge to transiting the area to patrol areas in East China and Yellow Seas, it was a bit too easy before to get in and out, no risk. Can't put a patrol boat everywhere, although they are guard by patrol craft at times. So in some areas, put surfaced mines to control surface traffic, some areas have both surfaced and submerged mines.

Believe in README mentioned, straits, inlets, entrances to bays etc were most likely to be mined, so use caution
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-22, 09:23 PM   #482
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
No, Vickers03''s interiors do not work with TMO at this time, causes CTD and other issues when others have tried. There is, down the pike TMO version coming from what was told. Some of his other excellent mods, such as EAX sound does. Make sure have proper version listed in the README. Far as of his others, I am not sure. Will have to ask about a specific mod on here, others may know.

The latest version of TMO is TMO 2.5 Update BH. The original TMO is quite dated as the creator has not been active in the community for some time.

In the TMO Update, I reduced aircraft presence heavily. That is a major different between current TMO and FOTRS. I removed a lot of airbases because they overlapped, so players were dealing redundant coverage. If the way the game spawn planes was not so asinine, would be okay but it is what it is, so made the change.

Now, when close to a air base in appropriate areas, will get more air contacts...think Tokyo area, Luzon Straits etc. I feel have found a realistic balance in the TMO Update.

TMO planes have a reputation for being tough and they are, especially later in war when they get the sensor simulating MAD, can see player sub submerged fairly deep.

SD detection range depends on some factors....which mod (SD or Improved SD) , the crewmember assigned to radar experience level...i.e. more skilled crew member will detect at further range, weather, altitude and speed of aircraft, bearing of the plane, proximity to land..mountain interfere etc.

The early war SD set...typical detection range is 6-8 NM depending on combo of the factors listed above. Patrol I just ended in July 1942...en route back home from Area 4A...SD radar (not improved model)....SD did not detect a MAVIS from Marcus Island, lookouts spotted it at about 8000 yards. I was in Narwhal Class, barely had time to get under. Fortunately, the fog seemed to prevent the plane from spotting us and plane was on N/S course and I was heading East...so range remained steady. That was a unusual example, 8/10 times will get bombed in that situation. Like I said, a lot of factors.

As war goes on, planes get tougher as skill levels go up, certain planes get radar( not super radar though lol, its reasonable).

Give TMO 2.5 BH a try, let me know what you think
Thanks for the explanation. I was under the impression crew ability did not effect range—all my call outs are at long range, regardless of the time period or set I use. Watching the player get “surprised” by an aircraft (SD on and surfaced) is a foreign experience to me. Like I said, all my call-outs are at long range, so there is plenty of time to dive.
I will try your mod, and let you know.
Old 02-02-22, 09:46 PM   #483
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I was under the impression crew ability did not effect range—all my call outs are at long range, regardless of the time period or set I use. Watching the player get “surprised” by an aircraft (SD on and surfaced) is a foreign experience to me. Like I said, all my call-outs are at long range, so there is plenty of time to dive.
I will try your mod, and let you know.

There is a selector if I recall in the sensors file "use crew experience" or something along those lines. If selected, crew experience does play into things as a factor. I believe in TMO it is selected by default and if I recall I made sure it was selected last time I tweaked the sensors.

A problem with the SD radar in the game is its directional. In real life, the SD radar was non directional, only measured range of aircraft, so in the game it acts like a radar with 360 degree scope and measures bearing as well as range. I've tweaked it, unfortunately no way to get truly realistic performance, other than relatively short range, which permits surprise even with SD, as you saw in video.
Old 02-02-22, 09:58 PM   #484
clayton
Samurai Navy

Quote:
There is a selector if I recall in the sensors file "use crew experience" or something along those lines. If selected, crew experience does play into things as a factor. I believe in TMO it is selected by default and if I recall I made sure it was selected last time I tweaked the sensors.

A problem with the SD radar in the game is its directional. In real life, the SD radar was non directional, only measured range of aircraft, so in the game it acts like a radar with 360 degree scope and measures bearing as well as range. I've tweaked it, unfortunately no way to get truly realistic performance, other than relatively short range, which permits surprise even with SD, as you saw in video.
I imagine FOTRSU would have that enabled by default—the crew experience setting. I’ll investigate it further.
Old 02-02-22, 10:05 PM   #485
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
I imagine FOTRSU would have that enabled by default—the crew experience setting. I’ll investigate it further.
One would think so but am not sure, have not looked at the "guts" of FOTRS in a while. Again, that is not the only factor though or even a primary factor, but does seem to play into things. I have noticed experienced crewman manning the SD and SJ radar will track targets better, detect them earlier (within limitations of the equipment) etc. , various sensor settings, environment can have an effect, size, speed, altitude of aircraft, angle/profile to the radar "beam", settings in the sim.cfg radar section as well. . All play a factor.
Old 02-03-22, 12:09 AM   #486
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
No, Vickers03''s interiors do not work with TMO at this time, causes CTD and other issues when others have tried. There is, down the pike TMO version coming from what was told. Some of his other excellent mods, such as EAX sound does. Make sure have proper version listed in the README. Far as of his others, I am not sure. Will have to ask about a specific mod on here, others may know.

The latest version of TMO is TMO 2.5 Update BH. The original TMO is quite dated as the creator has not been active in the community for some time.

In the TMO Update, I reduced aircraft presence heavily. That is a major different between current TMO and FOTRS. I removed a lot of airbases because they overlapped, so players were dealing redundant coverage. If the way the game spawn planes was not so asinine, would be okay but it is what it is, so made the change.

Now, when close to a air base in appropriate areas, will get more air contacts...think Tokyo area, Luzon Straits etc. I feel have found a realistic balance in the TMO Update.

TMO planes have a reputation for being tough and they are, especially later in war when they get the sensor simulating MAD, can see player sub submerged fairly deep.

SD detection range depends on some factors....which mod (SD or Improved SD) , the crewmember assigned to radar experience level...i.e. more skilled crew member will detect at further range, weather, altitude and speed of aircraft, bearing of the plane, proximity to land..mountain interfere etc.

The early war SD set...typical detection range is 6-8 NM depending on combo of the factors listed above. Patrol I just ended in July 1942...en route back home from Area 4A...SD radar (not improved model)....SD did not detect a MAVIS from Marcus Island, lookouts spotted it at about 8000 yards. I was in Narwhal Class, barely had time to get under. Fortunately, the fog seemed to prevent the plane from spotting us and plane was on N/S course and I was heading East...so range remained steady. That was a unusual example, 8/10 times will get bombed in that situation. Like I said, a lot of factors.

As war goes on, planes get tougher as skill levels go up, certain planes get radar( not super radar though lol, its reasonable).

Give TMO 2.5 BH a try, let me know what you think
Bubblehead1980...

Can confirm, that the last sea life, before the version done for FotRS-U v1.7 (that is... ) does work with your work... just as well as vicker's original 4k sub skin less gray... & the Battleflags mod. as long as you ONLY use the conning tower portion. The wardroom portion is useless... without the interior mod... which, as is known, that vicker's did mention of seeing of working on it to be able to be used for your work.. of revamping the original v2.5 to bring it up to date.

M. M.
Old 02-03-22, 01:13 PM   #487
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Bubblehead1980...

Can confirm, that the last sea life, before the version done for FotRS-U v1.7 (that is... ) does work with your work... just as well as vicker's original 4k sub skin less gray... & the Battleflags mod. as long as you ONLY use the conning tower portion. The wardroom portion is useless... without the interior mod... which, as is known, that vicker's did mention of seeing of working on it to be able to be used for your work.. of revamping the original v2.5 to bring it up to date.

M. M.

Old 02-03-22, 02:21 PM   #488
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Screen shots and patrol report from the Battle of Midway in TMO 2.5 Update. I have added the patrol objective to patrol off Midway at appropriate time as US subs did. First time I've played it through not just testing. Basically the same as initial release out there, except in the upcoming versions...Three sets of orders player can randomly being assigned to cover different areas off Midway...one Northwest where good chance to run into the carriers...a second to the West (where Tambor spotted the Mogami/Mikuma and others and collision occurred) where have chance to spot the supporting cruisers and others. A third is further to south west where have chance to run into the invasion force approaching Midway . Of course, its not that simple lol.

Also...

Now have a decent representation of the SBD Dauntless, adds immersion and they did a job on the carriers, pretty much matched history.

Removed the US air strikes from Midway early on 4 June. I hated to do this, but found that even with them set to poor, the TBF SBD/ did too much damage to enemy fleet and caused a prolonged evasion, which delayed the IJN carrier force from being near correct point for US TBD's to attack and then the SBD's from the carriers, so would have situation where they did not engage the IJN carriers.

Link to patrol report and screenshots.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=107786
Old 02-03-22, 03:29 PM   #489
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Default Preview the new patrol objectives in TMO Update V2.0

Thus far have about 25 new patrol assignments (many of them special missions, esp for Narwhal Class, other missing patrol areas such as Gulf of Siam, Sea of Okhotsk) or orders to put player on patrol in middle of historic actions like Midway, Coral Sea, Philippine Sea. Even have one where receive orders to support the Doolittle Raid. Kind of cool to watch the Task Force come over the horizon when waiting to rendezvous) and more. I've tested about half so far, they are working properly. Existing patrol assignments in TMO have been modified (many of them). No more silly hollywood type photo missions. The patrol areas have been moved to accommodated the updated traffic lanes. Orders have been rewritten to be more in line with actual orders subs received.

Frankly, aside from creating traffic with the ME, quite a tedious, time consuming venture but worth it.

One mission I just finished refining, about to test for second time is the Makin Island Raid, to deliver Marine Raiders and extract them in August 1942. This objective will be exclusive to the Narwhal Class, but interesting.

Aside from landing the raiders, have to use deck guns (really fun if you have the donation narwhal, since have the actualsix inch guns) to shell enemy installations(have destructible land objects added to roster now) and boats in the lagoon on morning of 17th, as Narwhal actually did.

Then have to extract (the rescue rafts permit this) the raiders at night. A few surprises in the meantime. Was challenging on first test, made some refinements, should be good to go on this one.

Preview of the orders. Will post shots from the testing.

Old 02-03-22, 04:24 PM   #490
Xboxman523
Watch

Downloads: 136

Awesome stuff! I hope to see how nice the Narwhal model looks!
Xboxman523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-22, 05:14 PM   #491
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xboxman523 View Post
Awesome stuff! I hope to see how nice the Narwhal model looks!

Forgot to get some screenshots of Donation Narwhal last patrol as you requested. I will on this next one.
Old 02-03-22, 07:34 PM   #492
clayton
Samurai Navy

Quote:

I checked FOTRSU’s sensor file, and using crew efficiency is all set to true or on, so, yeah, your SD modifications makes sense. I'll be sure and check it out when Vickers updates for TMO. Thanks for doing what you do.
Old 02-03-22, 09:51 PM   #493
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
I checked FOTRSU’s sensor file, and using crew efficiency is all set to true or on, so, yeah, your SD modifications makes sense. I'll be sure and check it out when Vickers updates for TMO. Thanks for doing what you do.
Thanks for checking. May want to check with vickers03 but believe it will be a while.
Old 02-04-22, 02:26 PM   #494
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Default Makin Island Raid Screenshots and patrol report.

Tested out the Makin Island Raid added to TMO campaign last night, went well, was a interesting and challenging operation. See link below for screenshots and patrol report.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...65#post2791765

Last edited by Bubblehead1980; 02-04-22 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-04-22, 03:31 PM   #495
EddieLyons
Watch

Downloads: 72
Default "Day of infamy" rebroadcast

This is probably nothing to do with TMO and your Update, but, it is 16 Dec 1941 and I am en route to Wake Island from Pearl. And, I have received the "Yesterday, December 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy" rebroadcast a total of 20 times so far in the Message Log.
Has this issue never been resolved in SH4? I seem to recall it happening in vanilla SH4 many years back when I first bought the game.
EddieLyons is offline   Reply With Quote