SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-01-22, 06:00 PM   #4576
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Start of the war, or January 1942?
december 8, 1941

Quote:
Have you Saved, exited, restarted, Load the Save and see what it does?
i did this between the boat-creation-task and the start of the mission. but no, i have not saved mid-mission and restarted/reloaded. i'll try that.

p.s. restarted SH4.
started mission.
sailed to deeper water.
submerged and ran the batteries to 73%.
surfaced and ran for an hour at 12 kts with battery charge on. No change.
Saved. Exited SH4.
restarted SH4, loaded mission.
ran for an hour at 12 kts with battery charge on. No change.
exit SH4.

any other ideas?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 05-01-22 at 06:14 PM.
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-22, 06:55 AM   #4577
SeniorCitizen
Army Goes Deep

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0

Quote:
In several places in the mod documentation is mention of not taking boats before their active dates, which are listed in the Submarine Availability pdf file in the Support / ExtraInfo folder. There is also another file BoatsByMonth pdf in the same folder. If you score too high in the game, it will "reward" you with a boat that is much too early. This has been an issue since day one of Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific, and they never were able to "fix" it. Same with some of the conning tower updates and mis-matched equipment. The Balao has
UnitInterval= 1943-05-21, 1963-07-11
so should NEVER under any circumstances be accepted prior to that date. The first base it is available is Mare Island, which is quite different from Treasure Island. Notice that Mare is around the corner to the left of Treasure Island, and up inside San Pablo Bay, not San Francisco Bay. The next available Base is Brisbane
AvailabilityInterval= 1943-06-03, 1943-11-12
(transfers to Milne Bay). Pearl is
AvailabilityInterval= 1943-07-01, NULL
Mare Island is
AvailabilityInterval= 1943-05-24, 1943-07-12
You may have missed the mission dates for Mare Island, might be why you are no longer allowed to dock there. Brisbane is next inline, and becomes active 1st in June, as noted. I'm not certain you will be able to salvage what you have career-wise, but it might work to go sit at Brisbane until July... Just remember, for the future, to NOT take the Tench prior to January 1945... btw, what is "FOTRSU Position Keeper Tweak" mod?
My bad. Should have paid closer attention to the date restrictions. Just wasn't thinking about it at the time. Have already started new career, but may take my last save from old career and go sit at Brisbane a little longer just to see what happens. No biggie. Stuff happens.

Very aware of the 3 different ports in and around the SF Bay, and that Mare is the farthest one in. I actually did try the others after Mare wouldn't let me in.

Thought I only had "approved" mods loaded, but I must have snuck FOTRSU Position Keeper Tweak in without realizing it wasn't on list. Anyway, it's just a graphics tweak for the position keeper. Swaps out 3 DDS files. Have had no issues with it. Here's the link:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5133
SeniorCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-22, 09:00 AM   #4578
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
december 8, 1941

i did this between the boat-creation-task and the start of the mission. but no, i have not saved mid-mission and restarted/reloaded. i'll try that.

p.s. restarted SH4.
started mission.
sailed to deeper water.
submerged and ran the batteries to 73%.
surfaced and ran for an hour at 12 kts with battery charge on. No change.
Saved. Exited SH4.
restarted SH4, loaded mission.
ran for an hour at 12 kts with battery charge on. No change.
exit SH4.

any other ideas?
Well, I have run 3 test career starts on 3 different machines, with 3 different copies of SH4 with FotRSU v1.7p3, plain, NK/NM & with vickers03's interior, and all 3 seem to be fine. Are you certain you didn't turn the automatic battery charge off somehow? I am not certain that the player is able to do that in FotRSU though, without edits? Had you made changes to the Commands.cfg file, and maybe inadvertently altered the battery charge? Beyond that, I am out of ideas... ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorCitizen View Post
My bad. Should have paid closer attention to the date restrictions. Just wasn't thinking about it at the time. Have already started new career, but may take my last save from old career and go sit at Brisbane a little longer just to see what happens. No biggie. Stuff happens.

Very aware of the 3 different ports in and around the SF Bay, and that Mare is the farthest one in. I actually did try the others after Mare wouldn't let me in.
My guess then for that, is that you are beyond the dates for more missions there. We will attempt to add a "dummy" set of missions in case a player either drops through the cracks for the SeaTrials sets (happens all too often), and also for "early and late comers" that get the boat early, or return to the base after the SeaTrials mis dates... although I do have another idea for the sea trials I might try...

PS: You can, of course, run more than one Career at a time. Just make certain you name your Save files appropriately to keep them straight in your head for when you go to reload a Save... The settings in the Captain's Office while in port can be different for each career. Just click on the radio console in the office, and you could make one career "no duds" and easy, the other with duds, and other more difficult settings, if desired. The problem comes in with mod sets, in that enabling and disabling mods in one career can and does affect the other careers...

Quote:
Thought I only had "approved" mods loaded, but I must have snuck FOTRSU Position Keeper Tweak in without realizing it wasn't on list. Anyway, it's just a graphics tweak for the position keeper. Swaps out 3 DDS files. Have had no issues with it. Here's the link:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5133
My golly, I had completely forgotten about that one... Seems to me we tested it, and all was fine... but I cannot find reference to it in any of my notes - which is not surprising, since the oldmanitis factor is on the rise... - We'll see if we can't contact gutted for permission, and include that in the AddInModzPak for the next release...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 05-02-22 at 09:12 AM. Reason: The "PS:" above
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-22, 09:26 AM   #4579
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
pb,

this mission's Objective 3 will not complete.
i have played it four times and looked at the mission-guts six-ways-from-Sunday and i can't figure out why it is not completing according to plan.
put it on the list of things to look at.

km
Update: That is indeed one of the infamous missions with the use of a MapZone to serve a dual-purpose, which does not function correctly set-up like that... Objective 3 is the "Speed Intercept" which is set to use "Objective_03" MapZone. There is also a "Trigger" that uses that same MapZone to generate a message about the arrival there. You could change the Trigger for that from "reaching the MapZone" to "completing Objective_03", or adding another MapZone of similar dimension and setting the Trigger to use that - either method should work. It is updated for the next release. I am currently still trying to find all of those missions. No easy feat, especially when the arthritis in my feet is so bad... lol

In the meantime, this is where a person wants to remember their original orders, and remember where they were told they would be based, because you could head there, and await the activation of the new home port and dock to end patrol, which would then get you a new assignment - thanks for the find!

Old 05-02-22, 10:05 AM   #4580
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Update: That is indeed one of the infamous missions with the use of a MapZone to serve a dual-purpose, which does not function correctly set-up like that... Objective 3 is the "Speed Intercept" which is set to use "Objective_03" MapZone. There is also a "Trigger" that uses that same MapZone to generate a message about the arrival there. You could change the Trigger for that from "reaching the MapZone" to "completing Objective_03", or adding another MapZone of similar dimension and setting the Trigger to use that - either method should work. It is updated for the next release. I am currently still trying to find all of those missions.
i missed the Trigger-thing. So subtle.
i'll update my installation with your suggestion.

LAA enabled
Old 05-02-22, 10:08 AM   #4581
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Had you made changes to the Commands.cfg file, and maybe inadvertently altered the battery charge? Beyond that, I am out of ideas... ??
explain what you mean here. please.
what is there in Commands.cfg that can alter the battery charge?
i know that the automatic charge button on the HUD is lit up when we are on the surface. it just has no effect.
is there another feature of the Commands that affects the charging process?

p.s. i found this in Commands. it is unchanged.
[Cmd152]
Name=Propulsion_recharge
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F0F0002

LAA enabled

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 05-02-22 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-02-22, 10:26 AM   #4582
propbeanie

Just that editing the Commands.cfg can result in "bumping" other commands out. As in when you added the Life-ring Toss to a button, you had to add to the number of commands, although it didn't look like you had to, since the number already looked to be large enough, but you found the different "categories" of Commands was the limiting factor. I seriously doubt if that's where the trouble lies though, because the battery charge is an existing Command in
[Cmd152]
Name=Propulsion_recharge
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F0F0002
Notice though, there is no button push for it, only the Menu ID. This is another area of SH4 modding that is a foreign language of deep complexity to me. I may as well attempt to learn Zhou Dynasty "Chinese"... I have no clue what CaptainScurvy did in this area, in spite of his attempting to spell it out to me in plain English... let's talk quantum mathematics instead... lol - or maybe fractal analytics...

- another thought had occurred to me earlier, and that was your previous editing of the Commands.cfg, and the way the edit did seem to work in a previous Install / Save Folder, and that if you did a new Install / Save Folder that had the edit already in the Commands.cfg, that it might alter the functionality in a different way. We have tested equipment on the submarine, and thought the edits a failure, only to have the changes function correctly in a fresh Install / Save Folder, but have also had the opposite also, where they fail in a new install. Again though, I seriously doubt that the Commands.cfg works the same way as a upc file in the UnitParts#SubName.upc file would. The UnitParts changes require an "Objects" conning tower change to initiate the changes with...

Old 05-02-22, 01:33 PM   #4583
SeniorCitizen
Army Goes Deep

Quote:
Well, I have run 3 test career starts on 3 different machines, with 3 different copies of SH4 with FotRSU v1.7p3, plain, NK/NM & with vickers03's interior, and all 3 seem to be fine. Are you certain you didn't turn the automatic battery charge off somehow? I am not certain that the player is able to do that in FotRSU though, without edits? Had you made changes to the Commands.cfg file, and maybe inadvertently altered the battery charge? Beyond that, I am out of ideas... ??

My guess then for that, is that you are beyond the dates for more missions there. We will attempt to add a "dummy" set of missions in case a player either drops through the cracks for the SeaTrials sets (happens all too often), and also for "early and late comers" that get the boat early, or return to the base after the SeaTrials mis dates... although I do have another idea for the sea trials I might try...

PS: You can, of course, run more than one Career at a time. Just make certain you name your Save files appropriately to keep them straight in your head for when you go to reload a Save... The settings in the Captain's Office while in port can be different for each career. Just click on the radio console in the office, and you could make one career "no duds" and easy, the other with duds, and other more difficult settings, if desired. The problem comes in with mod sets, in that enabling and disabling mods in one career can and does affect the other careers...

My golly, I had completely forgotten about that one... Seems to me we tested it, and all was fine... but I cannot find reference to it in any of my notes - which is not surprising, since the oldmanitis factor is on the rise... - We'll see if we can't contact gutted for permission, and include that in the AddInModzPak for the next release...
Yeah, I didn't have any "sea trials". I accepted new boat, beamed over to Mare Island to take command, took the boat and went on 1st war mission (Convoy College area maybe?). Guess I can blame the lack of sea trials for me stupidly allowing us to get pounded by depth charges on 2 separate occasions - BTW, Balboa can go DEEP. Now up to about 50% hull damage, but alive. That's why I need to end that extended 8th mission and get in for some hull repair. Just adding more fuel and torpedoes ain't gonna fix this.

Understand about multiple careers. I've got the Balboa career on hold in Save list in case I want to go mess around later looking for another port to call home and see what might open up later in summer 1943. Meanwhile, I'm now 2nd mission in on a Gato out of Pearl. Jumped in this time in July 1942, not at beginning of war.

All the little Position Keeper Tweak does is replace the 3 DDS files for the position keeper with ones that have red index marks on them to make the dial positions more visible. It's just cosmetic.
Old 05-02-22, 02:00 PM   #4584
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Just that editing the Commands.cfg can result in "bumping" other commands out. As in when you added the Life-ring Toss to a button, you had to add to the number of commands, although it didn't look like you had to, since the number already looked to be large enough, but you found the different "categories" of Commands was the limiting factor. I seriously doubt if that's where the trouble lies though, because the battery charge is an existing Command in
[Cmd152]
Name=Propulsion_recharge
Ctxt=1
MnID=0x3F0F0002
Notice though, there is no button push for it, only the Menu ID. This is another area of SH4 modding that is a foreign language of deep complexity to me.

- another thought had occurred to me earlier, and that was your previous editing of the Commands.cfg, and the way the edit did seem to work in a previous Install / Save Folder, and that if you did a new Install / Save Folder that had the edit already in the Commands.cfg, that it might alter the functionality in a different way. We have tested equipment on the submarine, and thought the edits a failure, only to have the changes function correctly in a fresh Install / Save Folder, but have also had the opposite also, where they fail in a new install. Again though, I seriously doubt that the Commands.cfg works the same way as a upc file in the UnitParts#SubName.upc file would.

i disabled my Commands and enabled the "stock" FOTRSU Commands (ver 1/25/20 12:35) and restarted the mission.
the non-recharge issue is not Commands related as the performance is the same: no battery recharge.

also, during the mission, i turned off the Propulsion_Recharge using the Menu and then turned it on again. Made no difference in performance.

so...what else can affect recharging the batteries? what other files are involved? i would think that that functionality is "behind the Ubi curtain".
anything in the Sub files (sim,zon,upc,cfg)?

p.s. Remember when i did that series of tests on battery recharging with various boats at various speeds? just like others?
well....we were not testing for all of the factors. we might still not test for all of the factors but i discovered another factor in battery recharging: Submerged Range in the Sim file has a significant effect on recharging.

i will have to set up some tests to see the effect of the two variables on both endurance range and recharging time but i can definitely state that a high value in the Submerged Range can basically guarantee that you will not be able to recharge the batteries and conversely, setting the Range to a low number will enable the batteries to re-charge ever-so-quickly.

i think i will test with Stock 1.5.

LAA enabled

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 05-02-22 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-02-22, 02:34 PM   #4585
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

fuse blown?

Old 05-02-22, 04:42 PM   #4586
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
fuse blown?

it is more the result of inverse Ubi logic.

LAA enabled
Old 05-03-22, 08:37 PM   #4587
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104

Quote:

<snip>

For the weather, and similarly for the repairs and other "timing" things in the game, each time you Save the game, the "timer" starts over. So the weather in FotRSU defaults to a chance of a change every five hours (of game time, not real time). If you shell-out to Windows, or if you Save and exit, that timer starts over again from "zero". You might have had 3 seconds left on the timer for a roll of the dice for a possible weather change, but it is now re-set to five hours. This also happens if your boat takes damage. The clock re-sets. It is a wonderful SH4 'feature' - NOT
After you pointing this out, I've observed numerous instances of the weather changing within an hour or two game time of a restarted save game

also

just a few minutes ago, I observed the weather changing 4 times within a single 5 hour game time period.

Based on those two observations, I've concluded that your 5 hour timer reset theory has been officially sunk with several well placed torpedoes.

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-22, 02:28 PM   #4588
goldmastersims
Bosun

Downloads: 147
Icon8

If any, which types of mods can be safely enabled while on patrol?
goldmastersims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-22, 05:28 PM   #4589
SeniorCitizen
Army Goes Deep

Wasn't sure where to post this, but since I'm playing FOTRSU mod, figured I would post it here. Patrolling in Convoy College area and in the middle of the night got a long range surface radar report and followed up on it. When I closed in on the ship, this is what I found (see attached image). Half the crew were petrified and wanted to head to home port immediately. Other half wanted to follow the "Ghost Ship" and see if we could find some Spanish gold.

BTW, deck gun shells pass right through it.

Have others encountered this apparition?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ghost Ship 1.jpg (68.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-04-22, 05:49 PM   #4590
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Wasn't sure where to post this, but since I'm playing FOTRSU mod, figured I would post it here. Patrolling in Convoy College area and in the middle of the night got a long range surface radar report and followed up on it. When I closed in on the ship, this is what I found (see attached image). Half the crew were petrified and wanted to head to home port immediately. Other half wanted to follow the "Ghost Ship" and see if we could find some Spanish gold.

BTW, deck gun shells pass right through it.

Have others encountered this apparition?

Yes, encountered it a few times. Guess this is where the old sea stories come from lol
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote