Old 02-24-22, 09:10 AM   #872
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
https://www.t-online.de/nachrichten/...einmarsch.html

There's a video on the site, and farther below a chart. They are attacking all over Ukraine.
Probably they will take Transnistria and Moldawa, too.

Edit: lot of jets over Hannover
They have a base in Moldova

Markus

My little lovely female cat
Old 02-24-22, 09:16 AM   #873
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Moldova is a non-NATO member but has signed a trade agreement with Europe, which angered Russia.

"Moscow's ambassador to the EU, Vladimir Chizhov, said Monday that Russia did not have "expansionist views" and that it was not looking to make a move on Ukraine itself from Crimea or the eastern border."
Ah.

Meanwhile TASS writes that Mr Lukashenko (you know the guy from Belarus) said that "attacking Belarus would be considered as an attack against Russia". The Belarus where jets and tanks are attacking the Ukraine from ..

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 02-24-22, 09:21 AM   #875
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

I think we're seeing now not to bolster Ukraine's air defense with high tech surface to air missiles, hand held stingers, etc...was a big mistake. It also shows just giving up Crimea so easily was another big mistake. The mass tough sanctions should've happened then.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Old 02-24-22, 09:26 AM   #876
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Another mistake was done for the past 30 years, that is to deliver it high tech and computer tech, chips, even refit and modernise parts of their military arsenal for them. Why we deliver RUSSIA warships, night vision goggles, thermal sights for tanks and steering systems for cruise missiles, from the US over France to Germany, I will never ever understand.

We should not even have delivered scientific pocket calculators.

But the precious profit greed, the precious political illusions, the precious na-na-nanna-nah, na-na-nannah-na...

Last edited by Skybird; 02-24-22 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-24-22, 09:27 AM   #877
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Oh man, Pandora's box.

My fear is this will become a civil war and continue for weeks, months...

If Ukraine collapses and ends resistance, this could be contained.

If the Ukrainians have sizeable forces that continue to resist militarily and are pushed to the borders... at some point Ukrainian "insurgents" possibly fleeing across the borders into Poland or Romania... I could see the Russians launching "limited" military strikes into these regions...and at some point NATO would have to stand up. Then war with Russia would not be avoidable.
Old 02-24-22, 09:48 AM   #878
Andreas86
Engineer

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 2

Russian column hit by Ukrainian UCAV.

https://t.me/oleksiihoncharenko/10698
Andreas86 is online  
Old 02-24-22, 09:48 AM   #879
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

The first Ukrainian refugees has crossed the Polish border. EU expect million will flee Ukraine.

Markus

Old 02-24-22, 09:50 AM   #880
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Oh man, Pandora's box.

My fear is this will become a civil war and continue for weeks, months...

If Ukraine collapses and ends resistance, this could be contained.

If the Ukrainians have sizeable forces that continue to resist militarily and are pushed to the borders... at some point Ukrainian "insurgents" possibly fleeing across the borders into Poland or Romania... I could see the Russians launching "limited" military strikes into these regions...and at some point NATO would have to stand up. Then war with Russia would not be avoidable.
Ah, a man who dares to say that a long resistence by the Ukraine may not even be desirable. Be cautious that they do not crucify you for that. I said something like that regarding Syria a few years ago, that the war will become the bloodier the more Western forces intervene and help against Assad and by that help to extend the length of the bloodshed. My opinion was not welcomed, nor may be yours now.

You are right, though. And I am certain that you agree that the martial logic in it may be logical indeed, but nevertheless is heartbreaking. Question is: has the Ukraine ever had a chance, considering the deeply dug in corrupt elites and oligarchs that they never got rid of? After all most people affected are just civilians trying to make their living and somehow getting over the days and weeks.

If the Russiands attack refugees and resistence camps across the border and into NATO countries, then only because we let them. Its in our hands. Or better that of the leaders we currently have. And these figures leave a lot to be desired: yours, ours, all of them.
Old 02-24-22, 09:54 AM   #881
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

Just goes to show you that countries with nuclear weapons have carte blanche approval to be horrendous bullies to countries that don't.

I was all for unilateral nuclear disarmament in my youth, but I swear none of this would be happening if Ukraine had 5 or 10 of the things.

Old 02-24-22, 09:56 AM   #882
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

You say Putin gone mad-This makes me fear he may consider using smaller nukes in Ukraine-If his forces fail to gain control over the country.

I tell you this fear came up, when I heard in the news that Ballistic missile had been fired from Belarus

Markus

Old 02-24-22, 09:57 AM   #883
Skybird
Soaring

Libya handed over it snukes to the US, and deeply regretted it. The Ukriane ahnde dover its nukes to the Russians, and now deeply regrets it.

But maybe the rest of us should feel happy for them not having nukes. Who knows what Putin would have done.

The expectation that Iran will give up its ambitions to get nukes, can be ignored, it always was and still is completely unrealistic. Other countries also learn thes elessons, I am sure.
Old 02-24-22, 10:02 AM   #884
Andreas86
Engineer

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I tell you this fear came up, when I heard in the news that Ballistic missile had been fired from Belarus

Markus
Same here... And it seems Russia is losing a lot of equipment. Reports now of 15 T-72s knocked out by Javelin AA missiles.

This escalates at an alarming pace. There is so much rhetoric from all sides.

Also, Russian forces are trying to seize the Chernobyl nuclear plant.

Last edited by Andreas86; 02-24-22 at 10:19 AM.
Andreas86 is online  
Old 02-24-22, 10:21 AM   #885
Skybird
Soaring

There was a news from January the Americans delivered them 300 of these Javelin beast in January, and 180 earlier durign last autumn. That sounds not like much, considering the the length of the front the Ukrainians want to defend, but if they manage to have them stockpiled in the right places, they can bite big chunks out of Ivan's armour.

Th Brits did the right thing, too:
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/thir...ts-to-ukraine/

In one of the images you can nicely see Germany's infamous role with this military aid. The British transport had to nicely fly around Germany, because the Germans did not want the British do deliver weapons. The british transports were denied permission to cross German airspace.