SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-13-17, 04:10 PM   #1
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Downloads: 2166
Uploads: 0
Default Mods/jsgme..

How do I place them in cold waters..I have the steam version..Where do I look what folder do I place them in???
Old 06-13-17, 04:57 PM   #2
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Right click on the game in your Steam Library. Then choose properties. On the Local file tab of the windows that pops up use the top button to open the folder where it is all at. (Search in local file/folder) Translated from Dutch, might be worded slightly different in English.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-17, 06:25 PM   #3
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Now I have the game backed up..But I am still confused as to where/how I make the mods install or work..(Be advised I am not computer savy so detailed instructions are needed) thank you..
Old 06-14-17, 10:47 AM   #4
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

I have not looked at modding Cold Waters myself yet, so haven't looked into it's files and folders. I just responded to the question for location of game files.

JSGME does come with a manual/readme explaining how it works. Basically the gist of using JSGME:

Place the JSGME executable in the base game folder. (or use shortcuts with properly adjusted folder paths in the properties) Once you run the JSGME executable a single time it generates a MODS folder inside the game's Steam-app folder (if not yet present). Inside that you place/extract the mod of your choice. (That might require administrator permission if Steam is installed inside the Program Files folder) The MODS folder should have a folder within it with the name of the mod. And inside that a limited recreation of the folder-structure of Cold Waters with only the changed or added files.

Once that folder-structure is prepared you run the JSGME executable again and enable the mod by selecting it and using the arrow buttons to move it to the right. This initiates the replacing of the stock Cold Waters files with those of the intended mod. After completion you can exit JSGME and play the game.

When you need to update the game, you should disable all those mods in JSGME again (by moving them back to the left pane) and exit when finnished. Then perform the update in Steam. Afterwards re-enabling the mods is dangerous, as some may not work again due to the recent changes. Consult the mod-maker for compatibility with the update.

But do read JSGME's manual also.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-17, 06:06 PM   #5
Shadow
Torpedoman

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 2

It depends on the mod, but as Pisces said, the idea is to replicate the game's folder structure within the mod's.

For instance, in the case of the Underwater Visibility mod, you've to take its environment folder and put it at the end of this path, like so:

Code:
\MODS\Underwater Visibility\ColdWaters_Data\StreamingAssets\override\environment
That includes JSGME's MODS folder and the mod's folder itself, which is up to you but determines its name in the utility's interface. Also, you might notice there's no override folder within StreamingAssets, but that's because the devs recommend creating it instead of overwriting stuff within the default folder. I suppose it's a safety measure to preserve the original files.

Last edited by Shadow; 06-14-17 at 06:25 PM.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-17, 07:04 PM   #6
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

I found the steam folder opened it and no files that point to environment,subs,weapons,tma,nothing....What shall I try next??
Old 06-15-17, 08:29 PM   #7
seenittwice.pt
Watch

Downloads: 146
Default Where to put mods

Go to Coldwaters_ data then look down you'll see a folder that says StreamingAssets that's where you put the override file from the mod you want ...
seenittwice.pt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-17, 10:54 PM   #8
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Thank you I found it...That is where I put my jsgme then I load the mods to jsgme and send them to the activated side...Will that work??