SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-21-21, 03:06 PM   #4021
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Storm View Post
Should i really do a complete new installation, or is it enough do disable Fotrs 1.46 with JSGME then check via Steam for missing files and then delete the whole SH4 Folder in C/User/documents?

Just asking cause I have a poor Internet connection.
Germany is an Internetz banana republic.

P.S. Great Mod. Me and the men had much fun this far.
Also doesn't run less stable than the Stock game if i remember correctly.
All my crashes resulted from planes so far, on all TC rates at least down till 16X
Theoretically Rock Storm, you shouldn't have to even do the Steam thing after disabling the v1.46. Just clear the Save folder as MM say, and then activate v1.7 -UNLESS- you used non-FotRSU mods in the v1.46... If you have troubles after NOT doing the Steam thing, we'll blame it on Steam...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-21, 03:07 PM   #4022
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Just to be sure, but you have v1.4 of the game listed, and your finger just did a propbeanie right? It should be v1.5, correct? Next, I highlight in orange what NOT to do, unless you delete that Save folder before running FotRSU. You probably have a mix of Stock and FotRSU in your folder. You should be able to use 128x on the F5 map with lots going on around you. 256x might sutter some. Dependent upon the load, you might have to 64x, like at about 0900 hours Manila, this dude is hightailing it south:

That is our Long Island stunt double for the Langley hightailing it to Balikpapen and then Darwin, to finally go to Fremantle and then be sunk enroute to Tilatjap. (Too much information!!!) Anyway, there should be a green circle around the Manila Bay / Cavite area. If you start at Mariveles, you are outside that circle, of course, but it is not as "necessary" out there, due to the already reduced traffic of the area. But, delete your Save folder and try again. You should not have to re-do the mod. You might also check on the read / write status of the SH4.exe file, and make certain the LAA (or 4Gig Patch) is definitely properly set on the SH4.exe file.
That was indeed a fat finger. I did load a new copy of v1.5. However, I did not check the Read Only box to see what might have happened there. Also, my map looks "funny". All jagged edges on the land masses, no relief details, and no circles. I'll go check it all again.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-21, 03:12 PM   #4023
propbeanie

Good luck!

Old 12-21-21, 03:25 PM   #4024
FotRSU Mod Team
Team Leader

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotRSU Mod Team View Post
Ho Ho Ho!!! Merry Christmas!!! Ho Ho Ho!!!

New Version of Fall of the Rising Sun released as of now
Version 1.7

New Version of the Add In Modz Pak released as of now
for FotRSU v1.7 - which includes a possible patch for vickers current Interiors mod

Ho Ho Ho!!! Merry Christmas!!! Ho Ho Ho!!!

Is that Rudolph???
We jumped s7rikeback in the back alley, but grabbed incorrect info in the Nippon Maru. There are a few changes he has made to it that have to packaged and released. Please refrain from using Nippon Maru with FotRSUv17 for now. It will mostly work, but that little bit that won't will "kill" your career, so don't do it. Blame it all on propbeanie. He's easy that way...
Old 12-21-21, 03:46 PM   #4025
Rock Storm
Watch

Downloads: 26

LoooooL.
After disableing mods via JSGME i allways let steam check the original Stockdata in case JSGME hasnt removed everything, or not fully reloading/ reestablishing the original from its Backup folder. For silent hunter 4 steam allways tells me that 343 files could not be found and are again reuploaded.
And sure enough the altered Sh4.exe (LAA).
Became a freeze as soon as "No mission, too complicated" came up.
Tried different boats, imperial measurements. But then i took a step aside and tried some thsinking.

German Advertisment for Englishcourses:
-Guy starts as coastguard.

Chief of staff says:
-This is my sector
-This is the most important machine
-Survivalradar (Überlebensradar)

Rock Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-21, 03:50 PM   #4026
Battleship 61
Nub

Downloads: 48
Default Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Did you read the first page, before the download link?

Further along in the posting is listed the information we need if you need help, such as where do you have Silent Hunter 4 installed? The default for the installer is into C:\Program Files... which will not work correctly. The game itself has to be installed outside of any "protected" folder. If you have Steam, that would mean also having Steam outside of Program Files, since the game installs under the Steam folder. If you do not move the game out of the Windows protection racket - er, folders, then Windows will rollback all portions of the mod that it thinks are dangerous to the system, which includes cfg files, of which each ship, plane, sub, and land unit in the game uses a cfg file. Imagine the result...

After that is mentioned the use of an LAA app to set the SH4.exe file to be recognized by Windows as capable of addressing more RAM. You do need to have a 64-bit OS for those applets to function correctly. If you have a 32-bit OS, you can edit the boot.ini kind of stuff, but it does cramp Windows itself a bit. Doable, but better to avoid and just use a 64-bit OS, especially with the RAM you have. Of necessity, the SH4.exe file must be write-enabled, and a lot of game installs will set it to read-only. Right-click on the file, choose "Properties" at the bottom of the context menu, and on the bottom of the "General" tab is the "Attributes" section. Clear the "Read-only" tick box and OK that.

You also must empty the Save game folder, which by default is C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4, unless you use MultiSH4 (included with the mod) to change the 3-letter name of the Save folder (recommended). The use of FotRSU without having emptied the Save folder will result in a mix of the previous mod or Stock, and FotRSU, which is usually not very pleasant. Somewhat similar results as a partial mod activation from above.

Your video stream should "match". Windows will show a "recommended" resolution for your display, and that's what it should be set to. In the game, it should recognize most Windows resolutions, but I am not certain if it can do 4k or not. If it doesn't, pick a multiple, such as 1/2 that, or 1920x1080, and a frequency that is a divisible of your 240, which would be 60, as an example. If it lists something that matches, use that. Then you will most likely have to delve into the Properties settings of the SH4.exe again, but this time on the "Compatibility" tab:

No two computers are exactly alike, and you might have to dig deep into this aspect. Let us know though, if matching that picture doesn't help at least some. Also, don't bother with the "Volumetric Fog" in the game, because it makes your deck crew "see-through", almost like apparitions, when it fogs in the game. It can get creepy just seeing two eyes with the outline of a body... yeesh! The "Sync Lock", especially with the newer cards will trash your display, and it is recommended not to do that. If you have an nVidia card, you can use some of its functionality, or use the Profile Inspector thingie, and limit the frame rate. The game is an old DirectX 9 game, and was designed to run at 30fps, and is what at least one of the game's clocks runs off of, but most players will not notice the time shift that occurs over the course of time...

Let us know how you get along!
I've got it to work thanks to you all. I didn't quite understand the instructions for I'm not much of a computer nerd but rather just a gamer, so I didn't quite exactly know what it meant by LAA or NTCore's 4Gig Patch. I downloaded NTCore's 4Gig Patch and tried it out and it made the game work. Yes, my game is off of Steam for I never had the honor of owning it via disk.
I don't know why some of you were quite rude but despite the fact I still appreciate the help, even for a stupor like me. Hope y'all have a great day and Merry Christmas!

Battleship 61
Battleship 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-21, 04:16 PM   #4027
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleship 61 View Post
I've got it to work thanks to you all. I didn't quite understand the instructions for I'm not much of a computer nerd but rather just a gamer, so I didn't quite exactly know what it meant by LAA or NTCore's 4Gig Patch. I downloaded NTCore's 4Gig Patch and tried it out and it made the game work. Yes, my game is off of Steam for I never had the honor of owning it via disk.
I don't know why some of you were quite rude but despite the fact I still appreciate the help, even for a stupor like me. Hope y'all have a great day and Merry Christmas!

Battleship 61
Quote:
I don't know why some of you were quite rude but...
Dunno if that was directed My way... or not, but... just in the off chance that, it was...

I do hope... you realize & understand... that for 1, I have a particularly weird sense of humor, that runs the gamut... from dry, sarcastic,

to... downright ribald, in that it would have a sailor & well... ladies of the night, blushing in shame...

That, sense of humor, does NOT translate well... through textual medium...

Glad that you got it all sorted out &.... "ship shape".

Fair winds, smooth seas &... Good huntin', skipper.!

M. M.
Old 12-21-21, 05:05 PM   #4028
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Rats!

I just now ried to zero base this thing by deleting my SH4 game file from G:Games/Ubisoft and from the Documents folder. This should have taken care of any traces of history, right?

Assuming that is so, I copied my pristine v1.5 from my safe place back to G:Games/Ubisoft, and set the Read Only box to unchecked for all files and folders. I ran LAA to set the value to True for SH4.exe, and then extracted the new FOTRSU 1.7 to the MODS folder in the game file and then activated the mod via JSGME.

So at this point I should have a clean install of SH4 v1.5 plus the FOTRSU v1.7 mod, with no SH$ directory in the Documents folder, and with LAA activated.

I started the game, noting the new V1.7 Splash screen and the rapid load time, and set the Sound, Graphic, and Gameplay options from the main menu. Then exited the game to Windows. Next came a restart of the game to verify the graphics settings were there, and started a new career in the Asiatic fleet. Assigned to USS Seal (SS-183). Set my mission options in the office, got an assignment to patrol the Convoy College area of the Luzon Strait, and took off from outside the harbor.

I made the usual setting changes for torpedos, AA gun, etc., set a course, and went to Full Speed ahead. Note the "strange" appearance of the map - no topography or colors.

So, once again I followed the course, and once again, at about 25.1 NM WNW of the end of Corregidor Island the game crashed to desktop. I have no idea what is going on or what I missed. I'm considering scrubbing the whole thing, rebooting, and starting from zero. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SH4Img@2021-12-21_16.26.08_681-1.jpg (20.2 KB, 10 views)

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-21, 05:15 PM   #4029
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:

Battleship 61
i'll add to what MM posted in his reply: some of us have a very odd (uncommon) sense of humor and that comes off as not-humor from time to time.

not sure if you are familiar with British humor but there are a lot of Monty Python fans in the SH4 forum which would account for the oddness of some of our posts.

i'll say this and then finish the post: of all of the guys who post answers to your questions (or ask probing questions in pursuit of answering your questions), none will be rude. stick with it and you should have hours of fun. or weeks of maddening frustration. (see what i mean).

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-21, 05:52 PM   #4030
Rock Storm
Watch

Is it just me having not enough sleep or does the graphic look "sharper".
Works great so far, just wondering what the yellow strings are for:

https://ibb.co/drw67tx
Old 12-21-21, 06:10 PM   #4031
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I just now ried to zero base this thing by deleting my SH4 game file from G:Games/Ubisoft and from the Documents folder. This should have taken care of any traces of history, right?

Assuming that is so, I copied my pristine v1.5 from my safe place back to G:Games/Ubisoft, and set the Read Only box to unchecked for all files and folders. I ran LAA to set the value to True for SH4.exe, and then extracted the new FOTRSU 1.7 to the MODS folder in the game file and then activated the mod via JSGME.

So at this point I should have a clean install of SH4 v1.5 plus the FOTRSU v1.7 mod, with no SH$ directory in the Documents folder, and with LAA activated.

I started the game, noting the new V1.7 Splash screen and the rapid load time, and set the Sound, Graphic, and Gameplay options from the main menu. Then exited the game to Windows. Next came a restart of the game to verify the graphics settings were there, and started a new career in the Asiatic fleet. Assigned to USS Seal (SS-183). Set my mission options in the office, got an assignment to patrol the Convoy College area of the Luzon Strait, and took off from outside the harbor.

I made the usual setting changes for torpedos, AA gun, etc., set a course, and went to Full Speed ahead. Note the "strange" appearance of the map - no topography or colors.

So, once again I followed the course, and once again, at about 25.1 NM WNW of the end of Corregidor Island the game crashed to desktop. I have no idea what is going on or what I missed. I'm considering scrubbing the whole thing, rebooting, and starting from zero. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
That looks like mod soup... but I don't know how... that is part Stock, part FotRSU. Look at Rock Storm's pic below, and you should have perty yeller lines at certain zooms, as well as much prettier land graphics there... It sounds like you should have a clean install, but blow it up again, and do the game re-install routine, whether Ubi, Steam or disk. Just make certain to install the DirectX v9 and Codecs if prompted. There is MultiSH4 in the main folder after activating, and you could try to use it to create a new Save folder, like FRS or whatever (3 characters only), and that will keep it away for any cross-contamination. It does not "sound" like an LAA issue, though it could possibly be. I am more inclined to think "contaminated", but I cannot figure the "how". There is often a couple of PT boats to the west-northwest of Mariveles about the time you're leaving, and then there are several fishing boats and / or tugs roaming about the place also that you might encounter. But that NavMap is the main symptom... if I was only a doctor... Where's Bones when you need him?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Storm View Post
Is it just me having not enough sleep or does the graphic look "sharper".
Works great so far, just wondering what the yellow strings are for:
Those line signify 15 degrees of longitude, and approximate one hour time zone lines. There is a purple line, not as easy to see, that denotes a simplified IDL, mostly on the 180 mark.

Old 12-21-21, 06:46 PM   #4032
Rock Storm
Watch

date

Just wanted to write, that i thoght the purple line would be the ... ---> typed "Datumsgrenze" in the dic. and got "International Date Line <IDL>".

Cool addition with the yellow lines.
Yes sometimes it is very irritating to have many different times of sunset all over the pacific ocean.

Old 12-21-21, 07:00 PM   #4033
propbeanie

In theory, if all parts of the game work correctly and we don't abuse the TC level, sunrise / sunset will be at nearly the same "base time" during the entire patrol. If you want to know what one fellow was "sinking", you could read through Front Runner's Base Time 2018 thread. We do fall off into the weeds into the wee rabbit hole to go visit Alice a few times, but suffice to say, if you depart Pearl, in theory, you will stay on that time. Cross the IDL, and it is now tomorrow. From there on, I get mixed-up as to whether to keep subtracting an hour at each line... lol but it you get an historic moon cycle thingie, you can plan your attacks a little better... maybe. Me? I sink as often as I sink - I stink... where is the confounded Coast Guard?...

Old 12-21-21, 07:10 PM   #4034
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
In theory, if all parts of the game work correctly and we don't abuse the TC level, sunrise / sunset will be at nearly the same "base time" during the entire patrol. If you want to know what one fellow was "sinking", you could read through Front Runner's Base Time 2018 thread. We do fall off into the weeds into the wee rabbit hole to go visit Alice a few times, but suffice to say, if you depart Pearl, in theory, you will stay on that time. Cross the IDL, and it is now tomorrow. From there on, I get mixed-up as to whether to keep subtracting an hour at each line... lol but it you get an historic moon cycle thingie, you can plan your attacks a little better... maybe. Me? I sink as often as I sink - I stink... where is the confounded Coast Guard?...
What I do, is go into Nvidia into their... control panel dealio... & locate SH4's .exe, then dial into the settings for it... to lock it down to 30 fps... then accept that setting... & close out.

If memory serves... that is the frame rate that it was... designed for... if I'm NOT misremembering that info...

Dang it all... I seriously hate, getting older...

M. M.
Old 12-21-21, 08:22 PM   #4035
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 816

Default 100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.7

Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote