SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-27-21, 11:08 AM   #1
Schiffmorder
Sailor man

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Icon9 My attack map torpedo track line is gone.

Hello
As stated, that line that shows where my torp is gonna go based on the data has disappeared and I'm not sure how I made it go away and nothing I do brings it back.
All my torps just run off about 30 deg to port when I fire. Help please?
Schiffmorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-21, 11:54 AM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schiffmorder View Post
Hello
As stated, that line that shows where my torp is gonna go based on the data has disappeared and I'm not sure how I made it go away and nothing I do brings it back.
All my torps just run off about 30 deg to port when I fire. Help please?
i believe that is a GamePlay Option.
you are playing with manual targeting, yes?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-21, 01:18 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

you also need to have a target locked and PK on.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-21, 03:43 PM   #4
Schiffmorder
Sailor man

My apologies for taking so long to respond.
Yes to all the above. I can (and have) take the same realism settings (88%, only chart updates are unchecked) into the Sub School and shoot everything in sight to include a trailing 2600 yard shot (150 port AOB) on the T3 in the Nav course. The green torpedo track marker is present in the attack map and works as it should.

Yet when I go to my career it's nowhere to be found and nothing I do changes that. Going back over the manual I did find reference to 'resetting' the TDC by checking something on 'the notepad'. Well this isn't SH3 and durned if I've seen anything resembling a notepad. So, ideas please?
Old 11-30-21, 05:17 PM   #5
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Are you running any mods?
Old 11-30-21, 05:27 PM   #6
Schiffmorder
Sailor man

No. Vanilla SH4 right off Steam, (V 1.3?) for the moment.
Old 11-30-21, 08:11 PM   #7
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schiffmorder View Post
No. Vanilla SH4 right off Steam, (V 1.3?) for the moment.
If, you have it from off of "Steam"... then is only 2 versions of it from there...

Silent Hunter IV: Wolves of the Pacific (see, v1.4, for that one. )

Silent Hunter IV: Wolves of the Pacific: Uboat Missions (see, v1.5, for that one. )

Now, am not sure if you have to have both copies bought & paid for... as both ARE listed as separate buys there on Steam's page (either through browser or there on their installed & signed into, game launcher through the store on it...)

I believe, that v1.5 can be bought, as a separate d/l - install... but, any modding would have to be done on the copy & inside their library folder location... i.e, E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\SH4

Not exactly perfect here... but, close enough for demonstration purposes... I have their library on a external drive... thereby, to keep it out of Windows iron fisted dictator UAC grip... by having it set up that way.

Now, inside of Steam's \common folder, you "can" set up a whole different folder... leaving SH4 initially installed where steam would install SH4 (keeping that copy as your GOLD standard, un-modded copy... so you can then copy the game's guts & paste them in the new folder outlines as follows) & then copy paste them inside that folder, in a new folder, set up to then be able to mod SH4 to your hearts content.

E:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\SH-megamods\SH4-megamods\FotRS-U-EN v1.6 preview

As you can see from that example, I have created a copy of the pristine copy & now have it modded as I desire...

Hope this info helps...

M. M.
Old 11-30-21, 08:23 PM   #8
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Last post, does not... take into account for needing jsgme dropped into the copy/pasted copy folder... nor, needing to have a copy of MultiSH4 in there, either. Both of which are strongly required... jsgme for ease of de-activating any mods you use, thereby keeping the copy, as pristine as possible.

MultiSH4 for making a separate save games folder, divorcing it from trying to attempt to save to the pristine copies save folder. (That will be made, when you run the pristine copy, in order to finalize it doing what is needed to, for it to play... (see, installing Microsoft's redistributable & the dx files & such the game needs... ) after initially installing SH4 ) You do NOT want your copy sending game save info to the pristine 's save folder... at all. So, a definite must have.

Or, before doing any modding, of going into the "properties" section, for the copies SH4.exe to do what's needed there, either.

Which is covered extensively on the site... as is any tweaking that needs to be on the High DPI for it.

Gonna stop here, before I turn this into a novella...

As mentioned... I hope this info helps...

Old 12-01-21, 09:11 AM   #9
Schiffmorder
Sailor man

I think I'm just gonna go ahead and get the v5 and do TMO. This thing is bugged. Now I have Mk14's I can't change speed on.

Last edited by Schiffmorder; 12-01-21 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-01-21, 01:45 PM   #10
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

There are several things to remember about this game. One would be that as good of a game as it is, it is NOT perfect by any stretch of the imagination. A big thing along those lines is the sad fact that nowhere in the game's documentation do they warn at all about what to do if you mod the game, apparently assuming that you would never do that, since their configuration of the game is so near-perfect. They also could not project what would happen with a Windows XP 32-bit, DirectX v9.0c game when it came to the 'modern' Windows OS and 64-bits, with UAC and other "technologies", so there is no documentation from them on that aspect of the game either.

First thing, the game does NOT like it if you "shell-out" to Windows, which can be minimized under certain conditions, and on some computers. The more hardware (cpu, ram, hd space, etc) you can throw at it, and apparently by pausing the game prior to using the Windows key to shell-out. There are still certain activities that will cause the game to "get lost" in its own address space. When the game does odd things after shelling-out, the game can often be restored to an OK condition by Saving the game, exiting the game, re-starting the game, and then Load the Save and continue. Usually.

Second, if you previously had a mod applied, and then are now doing Stock while trouble-shooting issues, but you did not empty the Save folder, then the game is still attempting to run with the old data from the game's previous state of having the mod(s). Try to clear the "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" folder (or use a Windows Explorer short-cut to it). Try the game again, and see if it doesn't restore some semblence of normalcy. Just know that all of your previous sound, screen, and game settings will have to be re-set. Even if you haven't modded the game, it might help to try clearing the Save data anyway, to see if that helps in these situations for you. v1.5 of the game though, is the "Gold" standard... sorry, bad pun...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote