SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-08-21, 09:06 AM   #1
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0
Icon13 (GFO) Base Brisbane Patrol Honshu

I returned to Pearl after a patrol and was offered a new command. I took command of a new boat (Balao class - sweet!) and ended up in Brisbane as home port. But my next mission asks me to patrol the waters off Japan!
Zero Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-21, 09:38 AM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Niner View Post
I returned to Pearl after a patrol and was offered a new command. I took command of a new boat (Balao class - sweet!) and ended up in Brisbane as home port. But my next mission asks me to patrol the waters off Japan!
ok, good luck and all that, old bean.
what route will you take to get to your patrol zone off Honshu? there are dozens and, under certain circumstances, you could expend all of your torpedoes en route.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-21, 12:26 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Part One of this is that GFO is basically Stock, so the dates of availability for the Balao overall is 1943-02-04 to NULL, while the earliest NavalBase it is available at is Brisbane, 1943-06-01, therefore, if you get it "early", you end up at Brisbane. Part Two is that you were based at Pearl. As such, when you came in, and prior to the tallying of your score and awarding of the Balao, you were assigned your next mission, based out of Pearl, which just so happens to be Empire Waters. This would apply even if your new sub was only available at Holy Loch Scotland. That is the way the game does things. It cannot think nor look ahead. Part Three of this is that hopefully, you are not too much earlier than when the Balao is available at Brisbane, because there might not be mission assignments there. If that is the case, when you do dock, you will be "retired". If you are indeed early, just "stay on patrol" and stop at bases, re-fuel and re-arm, even at Brisbane, but do NOT end patrol until a couple of weeks before 1st of June, 1943. Unless, of course, you do want to retire...

btw, it might be advantageous to go to Japan via Midway, both ways, to make that run...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 11-08-21 at 12:34 PM. Reason: btw
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-21, 03:56 PM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:

I will help you change your orders to be more accurate and reasonable for a Brisbane based boat. Next patrol, should do this on its own. Its a bug, oversight in transferring in SH 4.

I'll post here on how to momentarily
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-21, 05:54 PM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:

Okay, wanted to wait until I was home and could get in front of the desktop I use to run SH 4.

I am working on patrol orders for my next update to TMO so have learned a bit. Sometimes game gives asinine orders such as patrol off Japan when based in Brisbane or photo mission inside Tokyo Bay lol, then you have the repeat missions, or same old orders every time start a career. Until have time to full implement the changes into the sim, I found a short cut.

Prologue

Any file I mentioned to edit, copy and paste to a folder on your desk top as a back up, no exceptions, in case you mess up. Also, go in the game note the exact time of your last save when IN PORT, prior to current patrol (should always save just before depart on patrol) this is so you can easily find the save file.

Instructions

1. Go to Documents folder in windows, usually Start/This PC/Documents or something along those lines.

2. Scroll down until you see the SH4 folder, click it, then click the data folder, then the cfg folder. You will then see multiple other folders.

3.Click on SAVE GAMES folder. You will then see multiple filea. Click on and open the file CAREERTRACK. Make sure it opens with notepad.

4. Scroll down in first section, until you see something similar to this...

PlayerCurrentObjectiveCode=Hokkaido
PlayerDefaultObjectives=ID3
PlayerCurrentObjectives=ID148
PatrolStartDateTime=1943-08-15 13:00:02

5. Now, I do not know if GFO changes stock objectives etc, so can not give you exact numbers since I use TMO, but you need to look and see if GFO does change this. If not, you will go to the stock files. If in the mod open up . C:/SH4/MODS/GFO/UPCData/UPCCampaignData/Patrol Objectives. Search for say Bismark Sea. This will come up. If not present, go to SH4/UPCData/UPCCampaignData/PatrolObjectives.

[Section 70]
ID=ID70
FileName=data/Campaigns/Campaign/PatrolObjectives/Patrol Bismark Sea 01/Patrol Bismark Sea 01.mis
StartDate=19420801
EndDate=19440301
GameModes=Career
InclusionProbability=100
MinimumDifficultyRating=0
MinimumPlayerRating=-3
ExclusiveLayer=No
ExclusiveLayerID=1
EvaluationReason=FirstObjective
AllMatch=Bismark Sea
ObjectiveType=0
BriefingMapName=NULL
BriefingMapIcon=NULL
BriefingMapIconPosX=0
BriefingMapIconPosY=0

6. Go back to the careertrack file you have open.

and change the following.

PlayerCurrentObjectiveCode=Hokkaido <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
PlayerCurrentObjectives=ID148<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

to

PlayerCurrentObjectiveCode=Bismark Sea <<<<<<<<<<<
PlayerCurrentObjectives=ID70<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Again, you will need the info from GFO/SH4, the info I used as an example is from TMO, but same process.

You can also edit your start date and time at the PatrolStartDateTIme. I do this before early every patrol because SH 4 is weird about time of day patrols day. Subs generally departed in the morning or afternoon in daylight, helped avoid friendly fire incidents etc. Game will have departing at all different hours. Editing the start date of patrol as well is an option, I do this at times as well.

Make sure you back up the files and keep them.

Also, if you want to see a visual idea of where the patrol area is so know which one to pick, open the mission editor then use it to ...go to C:/SH4/Campaign/PatrolObjectives/scroll down until see Bismark Sea, Solomons, Truk etc, open it up will show you the area. Then write down the number such as "Patrol Bismark Sea 01" and can match it in the patrol objectives, and know what to change in the careertrack file.

Again, do not forgot to back up the career track files. I usually just back up all of the files in the SH4 folder where the career track is, just in case.

Only issue I have ever had, aside from when I made typo, was SH 4, on rare occasion will get confused and change the date/start time to 00/00/00 00:00. This will caused a CTD, it is as easy as opening up the file and changing it to correct date and time IF this happens.

May seem complicated at first, but it is quite easy and is a decent work around. I plan to make a document for download with various hacks in future.

Last edited by Bubblehead1980; 11-08-21 at 06:04 PM.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote