SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-01-21, 10:46 PM   #1
ApeGorrillo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Support Jiggly Water Syndrome, 14yr Bug Has No Fix?

Hello all,

Some of you may already be familiar with this problem, but many I fear, are not. Whatever the case, I have decided to post this to hopefully broadcast to a wider audience.

The jiggly water syndrome is a graphical glitch in vanilla SH4 (both steam versions at least) in which, as the title suggests, the ocean water exhibits a jiggling effect whenever moving the camera or periscope view in any direction. The effect seems to be directly tied to the rate of camera movement and can seemingly happen anywhere at any time (all the time in my case). This issue may also be referred to as "jello water", "jelly water", "shaky water", or "trembling water".

I have spent the past couple days scouring these forums and other sites to try to find a solution to this problem, but to no avail. I have tried many different possible solutions with several different mods and .exe patches, I have tried adjusting every in-game graphics option, I have try numerous different resolutions and refresh rates, and I have tried making several tweaks to various Nvidia graphics options. NOTHING HAS HAD ANY EFFECT.

For reference, my system specs are:

Windows 10 (64 Bit)
Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080ti
Intel i9 10900X
64GB of RAM
1TB M.2 NVME SSD

Monitor is a MSI MAG271CQR, 1440p @ 144hz connected via display port.

I really want to get back into SH4 as I did back when to game first was released (I didn't have this problem back then), but this very annoying glitch is something I can't just ignore. Please, if anyone can help, I would truly appreciate it and I'm sure there are a handful of SUBSIMMERs out there who would as well. It's been nearly a decade and a half folks, there has to be a solution by now.

Thank you!
Old 10-01-21, 11:01 PM   #2
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeGorrillo View Post
Hello all,

Some of you may already be familiar with this problem, but many I fear, are not. Whatever the case, I have decided to post this to hopefully broadcast to a wider audience.

The jiggly water syndrome is a graphical glitch in vanilla SH4 (both steam versions at least) in which, as the title suggests, the ocean water exhibits a jiggling effect whenever moving the camera or periscope view in any direction. The effect seems to be directly tied to the rate of camera movement and can seemingly happen anywhere at any time (all the time in my case). This issue may also be referred to as "jello water", "jelly water", "shaky water", or "trembling water".

I have spent the past couple days scouring these forums and other sites to try to find a solution to this problem, but to no avail. I have tried many different possible solutions with several different mods and .exe patches, I have tried adjusting every in-game graphics option, I have try numerous different resolutions and refresh rates, and I have tried making several tweaks to various Nvidia graphics options. NOTHING HAS HAD ANY EFFECT.

For reference, my system specs are:

Windows 10 (64 Bit)
Intel i9 10900X
64GB of RAM
1TB M.2 NVME SSD

Monitor is a MSI MAG271CQR, 1440p @ 144hz connected via display port.

I really want to get back into SH4 as I did back when to game first was released (I didn't have this problem back then), but this very annoying glitch is something I can't just ignore. Please, if anyone can help, I would truly appreciate it and I'm sure there are a handful of SUBSIMMERs out there who would as well. It's been nearly a decade and a half folks, there has to be a solution by now.

Thank you!

Not sure about a stand alone fix for the "vanilla" game but most supermods such as TMO FOTRS etc have environmental mods which correct this. Rarely happens now, typically has a lot to do with time compression and weather changes, if player hits cntrl+N to change weather too often. Last time I saw the jiggly water was probably 7 months ago.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-21, 01:44 PM   #3
ApeGorrillo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Not sure about a stand alone fix for the "vanilla" game but most supermods such as TMO FOTRS etc have environmental mods which correct this. Rarely happens now, typically has a lot to do with time compression and weather changes, if player hits cntrl+N to change weather too often. Last time I saw the jiggly water was probably 7 months ago.
I installed FotRSU v1.46 and the jiggly water is still present, but it is less noticeable.
Old 10-02-21, 01:51 PM   #4
Arlo
The Old Man

Downloads: 214
Uploads: 0

Anyone have a YouTube clip of the 'jiggly water?' I'm wondering if it is just what I see as 'computer generated water.'
Old 10-02-21, 03:09 PM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

No idea Arlo... can say that I have ran into that issue with the water before... after using high TC... think some have reported issues with jello/jiggly water, after weather... & use of high TC use... can't say on that aspect Myself, though. just on experiencing it after the use of high TC.

Did find this,

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...98&postcount=1

May resolve that issue... maybe... *shrugs* just have to find out...

M. M.

Old 10-02-21, 03:14 PM   #6
Arlo
The Old Man

Cool. From way back in 2008, even.
Old 10-02-21, 08:38 PM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

That is the value used in most "modern" mods. I mentioned in one of the other threads about a player being certain the video stream matches. If a person doesn't have their display monitor and the Windows display properties set to "(recommended)", whatever that might be for their devices, and then set the game to the same, if available, then the game does "thrash" a bit with the display. If a person cannot find the exact resolution in the game that their computer is set to, then they would use a setting with the same ratio, such as 1920x1080 for a 4k display. If that is not possible, then use "Windowed Mode" in the game, and a resolution that will display properly. The game was written in the days of analog displays at 1024x768, maybe at 72Hz. We are nowhere near that anymore... and of course, all of the other things you guys mention about TC, shelling-out to Windows, etc., or anything that introduces an error state into the game, can cause the issue, as well as others, such as corrupt Saves.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-21, 09:57 PM   #8
ApeGorrillo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
Anyone have a YouTube clip of the 'jiggly water?' I'm wondering if it is just what I see as 'computer generated water.'

Here is a demonstration of the jiggly water. This is with FotRSU v1.46 installed, but the effect is the same in vanilla SH4.
Old 10-02-21, 10:12 PM   #9
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I have four computers with FotRSU (as well as other mods and Stock, with both v1.4 & v1.5 of the game), and none of them have that. One is a GTX 560Ti, another has dual 980 cards, both machines at 1920x1080 at 60Hz, the 560 is pushing a 27" widescreen over a DVI cable, the 980s are pushing a 32" widescreen over DVI. Then I have an old laptop running Intel onboard, at 1600x900 at 40Hz, and the other is slightly newer, 1920x1080 at 60Hz onboard Intel graphics, one of the newer "HD" versions. All game set-ups match the display.

Are you using any graphics "enhancements" (such as ReShader)? Are you editing the 3D settings in the nVidia Control Panel? Are you using a profile in Profile Inspector? What is your monitor, and what is its "Native" resolution? What do you have Windows display set to? What do you have the game set to? Are you using any of the options? Lots of variables you have not disclosed... Your boat "moving" through the water is "off" also, like there is a problem with the game and / or mod set-up also... What folder do you have the game installed in, and did you empty the Save folder after activating the mod? Also, did you properly enable the LAA on the SH4.exe file?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-21, 10:39 PM   #10
ApeGorrillo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I have four computers with FotRSU (as well as other mods and Stock, with both v1.4 & v1.5 of the game), and none of them have that. One is a GTX 560Ti, another has dual 980 cards, both machines at 1920x1080 at 60Hz, the 560 is pushing a 27" widescreen over a DVI cable, the 980s are pushing a 32" widescreen over DVI. Then I have an old laptop running Intel onboard, at 1600x900 at 40Hz, and the other is slightly newer, 1920x1080 at 60Hz onboard Intel graphics, one of the newer "HD" versions. All game set-ups match the display.

Are you using any graphics "enhancements" (such as ReShader)? Are you editing the 3D settings in the nVidia Control Panel? Are you using a profile in Profile Inspector? What is your monitor, and what is its "Native" resolution? What do you have Windows display set to? What do you have the game set to? Are you using any of the options? Lots of variables you have not disclosed... Your boat "moving" through the water is "off" also, like there is a problem with the game and / or mod set-up also... What folder do you have the game installed in, and did you empty the Save folder after activating the mod? Also, did you properly enable the LAA on the SH4.exe file?
No, I am not using any graphics "enhancements". I have tried changing various settings in the nVidia Control Panel with no effect. Currently all nVidia control panel settings are set to the default "Use global setting". I am not using Profile Inspector.

These are my specs:

Windows 10 (64 Bit)
Intel i9 10900X
64GB of RAM
1TB M.2 NVME SSD
2TB HDD (SH4 and FotRSU is installed here with nothing else)

Monitor is a MSI MAG271CQR (27" curved), 1440p @ 144hz connected via display port.

Native resolution is 2560 x 1440 @ 144hz. All is matched up in the Windows setting as well. The game is set to 1920 x 1080 @ 144hz. I have set the game to 1440p and various other resolutions and refresh rates as well as changing them in the nVidia control panel, but none made any difference with the water. I have tried changing in the in-game graphics settings as well. I've had it with everything at minimums and everything at maximums. Currently everything is maxed out and all options checked. No changes to these settings had any effect either.

The game is installed in D:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific. I had the jiggly water also when it was installed in the default C:program files(x86) steam folder. Yes I did empty the save folder. I did a clean install after deleting every folder associated with SH4 and immediately activated FotRSU with JSGME. Yes I did properly enable the LAA on the SH4.exe file prior to activating FotRSU.

Appreciate the help.
Old 10-02-21, 10:44 PM   #11
Arlo
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeGorrillo View Post

Here is a demonstration of the jiggly water. This is with FotRSU v1.46 installed, but the effect is the same in vanilla SH4.
Looks like turning compression on and off except I notice TC was at 1 the entire time.
Old 10-02-21, 10:48 PM   #12
ApeGorrillo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
Looks like turning compression on and off except I notice TC was at 1 the entire time.
Time compression doesn't seem to be much of a factor for me. Using TC doesn't seem to make the jiggles any worse or any better. I have noticed that the jiggly water isn't nearly as bad when there is less sea state (less waves).