SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-04-08, 06:43 PM   #121
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Thanks.
www.ussbatfish.com

Communism killed over 100M people and all that I got was this lousy signature.*

*http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COM.ART.HTM
M. Sarsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 06:43 PM   #122
hcwolf9
Swabbie

Default SLI settings for Nvidia systems

M. Sarsfield,

on my laptop at the moment I will check the vsync options, but I generally always have it off in games. If I posted above that it is on in Nhancer then that is correct, but I have it unchecked in SH4 graphics settings.
hcwolf9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 06:46 PM   #123
hcwolf9
Swabbie

Default SLI settings for Nvidia systems

M. Sarsfieeld my Nhancer is version 2225 or something. whatever the latest one is. I only downloaded it and started using about a weeke or two ago. Ok I am off to gym and then lunch. later today I will post my stuff. I am in Melbourne Australia so you understand the time zone I am in.
hcwolf9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 06:53 PM   #124
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

No problem. The latest version is 2.3.2, but it's the Beta version.

In your instructions you had v-sync in nHancer turned off, which is what I did, also. I'll turn it off in the game the next time that I play.
www.ussbatfish.com

Old 04-04-08, 09:04 PM   #125
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Okay, I made the recommended changes that hcwolf9 gave us and I got insanely high fps on the bridge in rough seas - I used the S-44 single mission as a test bed. Frame rates ranged from 60 to over 100. I got zebra stripes on everything when I had "enhance in-game AA settings" turned OFF, though. Turning it ON was a huge improvement, which also gave me the high fps.

When I installed PE2 or Environmental Effects 4.0, my fps on the bridge dropped to the low 20 range when looking forward. The interior dropped to the low to mid 30 range - both mods had the exact same impact on fps. I did a lot of playing with the anti-aliasing settings, the anisop. filtering settings, and the SLI settings and they had very little impact, regardless off the changes that I made. So, I will have to install a lower res version of PE2.

Here is what I decided to stick with using version 2.3.2 of nHancer and with the latest nVidia driver:

Enhancements:
AA: Super-sampling 2x2
"Enhance in-game AA setting" box: ON (VERY IMPORTANT... for me, anyway)
"Super-transparency AA" box: ON
Anisop. Filtering: 4x
V-Sync: OFF (Off in game, too)

Optimizations:
Text. filtering: Quality
Trilinear Opt.: OFF
Aniso. Sampling Opt.: ON
Neg. LOD Bias: Clamp

Compatibility:
Anti-aliasing Compatibility box: ON with "20000000: EA Strategy Games" in drop-down box

SLI Mode:
SLI Mode box: ON w/ "Auto" selected and no Compatibility flags checked.
(Make sure SLI is enabled in nHancer. It should ask to enable it once it detects your hardware setup.)

In game I have most graphic slider bars in the middle and everything but V-sync and PPF turned ON. I like the fog and environmental effects, despite the fps hit.

I created this profile from scratch, rather than modifying the SHIII profile. I may increase some of the settings after I install a lower res version of PE2, if there is a considerable fps increase. The environemntal mods are big resource hogs.
www.ussbatfish.com

Old 04-05-08, 12:24 PM   #126
Doolittle81
Commodore

Downloads: 6

FWIW, I am using the latest Beta nHancer, 2.4.0Beta, with no problems to speak of. It seems to me that a lot of changes have been incorporated in these latest Beta versions which might help with your problems. I don't have a SLI setup, but I note in the Readme that new SLI modes have been added.

According to the ReadMe:
Version 2.4.0 (Beta 5)
• Added new SLI modes (AFR Bloom, AFR 3-way and 4-way).
• Added support of 9600 cards (remember: You can add support of new cards yourself by editing nhancer.exe.config!).

Version 2.4.0 (Beta 4)
• Replaced the nHancer logo with the great new logo made by Eberhard Klauke. Thanks a lot Eberhard!
• Redesigned the “About”-Dialog. It now has a fancy animation. The graphics were done by Eberhard as well.
• The initialization of nHancer has been moved to a separate thread. This fixes the problem that in extreme cases, the OS would mask the nHancer splash screen as “non responding”, which screws up the window with an ugly window frame. The splash window will stay up exactly 5 seconds now and you can dismiss the splash screen with a mouse click as was originally intended.
• The “do you want the tray icon?” message box is no longer displayed during nHancer’s first start. TrayIcon and AutoStart are now enabled by default, if you don’t like these features, you have to disable them in the Options menu.
• Fixed the “Add executable with path” option. It offered completely wrong path elements. Nobody ever seemed to notice that this function has been broken for ages…

Version 2.4.0 (Beta 3)
• Detects G96 (D9M) correctly.
• Additional new chips can now be configured manually by altering the file nHancer.exe.config. This way it’s no longer necessary to update nHancer each time nVidia releases a new chip family.
• Bugfix: When importing profiles, only customized profiles will shown in cyan color, not all profiles as before.
• Profiles with conflicting executables are now listed regardless of the profile filter.
• Customized profiles are now selected automatically when auto-importing profiles after installing another driver.

Version 2.4.0 (Beta 2)
• Allows overriding of the “prevent_cpl..” flags in nVidia’s profile list. If “Allow override predefined options” is active, you can now even change a AA or AF setting even it was explicitly disabled by nVidia.
• By request, I added the OpenGL multi monitor / multi-GPU settings to nHancer.
• Added several new AA compatibility flags.
• nHancer can now run without the nHancer support service, but for this to work it needs to be started with administrator rights.
• Bugfix: Positioning of some of the new buttons was wrong as soon as the user resized the “Description” pane.
• Bugfix: Changes in the profile description text or in some of the options weren’t possible, because the entered text was captured by the new profile text filter.
• Added some missing option descriptions.

Version 2.4.0 (Beta 1)
• Detects new 8800 GTS (512MB) and 8400 (G98) cards correctly.
• Completely reworked the internal profile management.
• Removed a load of superfluous code generated by VisualStudio’s UI designer. This should increase the performance of the user interface slightly.
• Added a text filter to find a profile very quickly. Just type ahead to use the filter.
• Added a sophisticated filter tool to select the profiles shown in the list. Use the new filter icon to change the filter settings.
• Redesigned the user interface for the management of profiles and their executables.
• Using the “Delete” button on a profile which has been predefined by nVidia will now revert the profile to its original state (since deleting a predefined profile is not possible).
• The user can now directly change any predefined setting in a predefined profile (if the option “Allow override of predefined options” is active). nHancer will automatically create a separate profile for that game which overrides the original profile (which cannot be changed). The original profile is not listed. Those special new profiles are called “Shadow profiles” and they have their own color (blue) in the list of profiles.
• Using the “Delete” button on an shadow profile will now reactivate the original profile which was overridden by the shadow profile.
• Added new menu function “Profile->Reset all profiles”. This function will remove all user made profiles and restores all other profiles to their original, predefined state. I.e. this function restores all profiles to the state after the driver installation.
• Added several Anti-Aliasing modes for G8x and G9x cards:
o 8xSQ – 2x2 Supersampling + 2x Multisampling. A very useful AA mode discovered by Heiko “Blaire” Zühlke. Thanks Heiko!
o 2xQ – The old quincunx mode, reactivated for the new cards (only visible if “Show experimental modes” is active).
o 4x 9-tap – The old 9-tap mode, reactivated for the new cards (only visible if “Show experimental modes” is active).
• To make room for the additional AA-modes, the categories for the various modes have been changed for G8x and G9x cards.
• Many bugfixes
Doolittle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-08, 02:14 PM   #127
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

I might give the Beta 5 a try. I still think that it's mainly the environmental add-ons. I got quite a boost with nHancer in stock format. I never had 100 fps on the bridge before in rough seas.

I installed the modified PE2 with the FPS boost to see if it made much of a difference and I got maybe a 1 fps boost.
www.ussbatfish.com

Last edited by M. Sarsfield; 04-05-08 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-06-08, 11:06 AM   #128
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

I downloaded the Beta 6 version of nHancer with little improvement to performance. I then uninstalled every mod and played around with settings in "vanilla". Still too slow for my liking, I decided to uninstall nHancer and use the nVidia settings. I noticed an improvement, but it still wasn't fast enough for SLI configuration, in my opion. So, then I decided that maybe the game was corrupt from making so many modifications to it. I decided to reinstall my graphics driver, reinstall 1.5, and then use IOBit Smart Defrag to clean up the drive.

I'll start running tests with the clean vanilla copy on Monday evening and see what that does. I'll probably leave nHancer out of the picture, since the latest nVidia controls seem to do a pretty good job.
www.ussbatfish.com

Old 04-06-08, 01:59 PM   #129
TheBlobThing
Soundman

Downloads: 39

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything but...

I recently bought an 8800GTS so I could get that sweet sun halo, but now I get the halo even when the sun is behind something (my boat, my crew etc.). Anyone else had this problem?
TheBlobThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-08, 02:35 PM   #130
Maltro
Soundman

Downloads: 14

Hi, I was disapointed cause I was not able to seen sun glare AND force AA with my new GPU (an Nvidia 8800GT) and I have discovered nHancer. I have just try it and I am happy cause I have found how to have the both effects ON.
So thank you very much for this thread.
But I have (unfortunatly another problem...)

Do you see "white water" on the border of the sub? I have the same one all around ships at the limit between water and vessels... and please don't tell me it is foam! :rotfl:

Another things more annoying :

Submerged lines often have this problem (white borders) It appear only when there is sunlight and only on certains point of view... and I can't find any mean to solve this problem.

Do you know if there is a setting to check in nHancer wich could solve my problem please? I have already try a lot of change but no mean...

Thanks!
Old 04-06-08, 03:21 PM   #131
Doolittle81
Commodore

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltro
...Another things more annoying :

Submerged lines often have this problem (white borders) It appear only when there is sunlight and only on certains point of view... and I can't find any mean to solve this problem.

Do you know if there is a setting to check in nHancer wich could solve my problem please? I have already try a lot of change but no mean...

Thanks!
See this thread for discussion of the white lines:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=134260
Doolittle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 12:47 PM   #132
Maltro
Soundman

Downloads: 14

Thanks you for reply. I have read all the topic, try the "nHancer method" but no mean to fix this "bug". It is a shame... but thank you!

Old 04-07-08, 02:24 PM   #133
DavyJonesFootlocker
The Old Man

Downloads: 138

With the latest NVidia drivers you cannot set the graphics on global using NHancer. It's already pre-defined. I had to resort on using a profile for SH4 instead.
A proud member of the Wikipedia Haters Club
DavyJonesFootlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 09:41 AM   #134
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

I ditched nHancer and downloded the latest nVidia Beta driver. I really like the 3D setting improvements, including a new option to have the CPU pre-render frames before going to the GPU(s). I also ditched nTuner, since it didn't seem to like SLI mode very much.
www.ussbatfish.com

Old 04-09-08, 10:07 AM   #135
PhantomLord
XO

Downloads: 124

It was time to retire my ATI 9550

New Nvidia 7600GT arrives.... and all the beautiful things in SH4 turned into crap With the old ATI everything was very slow but faultless.

Here´s what i see now

[img=http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/7015/sh4img20080409161920234il4.th.png]

[img=http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/2694/sh4img20080409161942937qv1.th.png]

[img=http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/5206/sh4img20080409164658359ih1.th.png]

Running Windows XP
2Gig RAM
Nvidia 7600GT (AGP) - latest drivers installed.
SH4 unmodded, Version 1.4

I´ve played bit with some settings in control panel - no changes
I´ve tried nHancer - no changes

Maybe i´ve overlooked something... anybody who have a hint?