SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-28-08, 07:37 AM   #211
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylander_1314
Well fellas I tried about 10 different driver versions, and I get the same issue, the only time the sun has that nice corona around it is when I disable the darn AA. If I set it to 2x, 4x, 8XQ, 8x, 16X, or 16XQ, I lose the nice lighting effects, and the rest of the picture looks like it's running in 256 color mode.

So it's a tossup, nice picture with jaggies, or substandard picture with no jaggies.

What a pain.
Do you have nhancer? if so limit your AA to 4x Multisampling and make sure that your gamma correction box is unchecked; these two maintain your sun halo and also a good smoke effect. Also try the 20000000: EA Strategy Games on AA compatibility to have a better overall AA.
All these three are the main settings to have the best AA possible on Sh3/Sh4 for nvidia cards (well, i tested them only on a single 8800GT512 since the first post date).

If this don´t work on a SLI, then, #$%@, nvidia really needs to look at their drives.

Somebody knows if the new ATi 48x0 series also have these problems with AAxsun halo&smoke?:hmm:

Cheers,

Rubini.
I've tried nhancer twice, but I didn't really care much for it. I was hoping to find a solution without it. Can't say why I don't care for it other than all the extra tweaking to get it going, and then changing it for my other simulators needs, I guess would be the best reason.

I still have it in my downloads folder, so I may have another go at it later.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-08, 02:14 PM   #212
Aniuk
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default 178.13

Installed the new forceware and it is running smoothly with the preferred setting mentioned earlier in this thread. 60 fps all the way, exploding torps, etc. no flickering of the sea so far. Thanks Arclight.
Old 09-28-08, 02:33 PM   #213
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolittle81
Actually, I've never understood why people insist on having FPS above 60 anyway, other than for benchmarking bragging rights. Does it really make a difference in any game? In an academic sense, I'm curious.
Some people say that games that simulate physics do a better job at a higher frame rate. Increasing the frame rate above the sync rate of your monitor will result in tearing of the display when moving the camera, especially noticable when rotating the camera sideways. It's not a good look.
Old 09-28-08, 08:34 PM   #214
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

You're welcome Aniuk.
Not that I really did anyting.

Playing games at 60fps or higher also gives you a bit of a buffer for framedrop without introducing stuttering. Say you're playing a first person game and you're getting low 30s fps. You quickly turn around, the video card quickly needs to render an entire new scene and the fps drops. Not always desirable.

Just that little bit extra can make sure it's smooth all the way. fps above 60 won't make any visual difference, but it can smooth out the general experience.

Personally I can't resist cranking up the quality. I don't play games where that "super-silky-smooth" stuff is needed anyway. (like a first person shooter)

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-08, 11:35 PM   #215
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Hey guys / girls,

Well, of all the stupid little things to have to do, is turn off the gamma control only in the nvidia display settings. All other settings are default settings except AA which is set to 4x, which is fine for my other simulators too. And it doesn't interfere with my other games or require any other tweaking between games. Yeah!

Soooooooooooooooooo, if this ever happens to anyone else, going through what I did, have them try turning off the gamma control only, and go from there. It requires no other video programs.

---------------------

Old 09-30-08, 03:56 PM   #216
StarLion45
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 78
nHancer

Hi everyone
I see somebody is complaining 'bout "nHancer"
I don't understand why? It works 100% on my game
If you all read and follow those instructions that Rubini wrote
is not gonna be any problems.
I tryed it out on my SH4+add-ons and it worked 100%
But I uninstalled it, and installed SH3 instead
I have NVIDIA GE force 8600 GT 512MB Ram , it works 100%
with that card So somebody do something wrong I guess:hmm:
StarLion45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-08, 02:07 AM   #217
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default basic Navidia question

I deleted my question after rereading the original post. The first time I followed the instructions the map was unreadable and the sonar and hydrophones where to dark to see. Then I tried an alternate recommendate posted above and I got the same result. Then I went back the orignal post and followed it. I may have selected different options than previously used when the instructions provided more than one choice. It worked. The pictures are fantastic!! WOW! Now I know how the great copyies of screen shots get posted. Major thank you for this contribution to my game!

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 10-31-08 at 03:17 AM.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-08, 08:32 AM   #218
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylander_1314
Hey guys / girls,

Well, of all the stupid little things to have to do, is turn off the gamma control only in the nvidia display settings. All other settings are default settings except AA which is set to 4x, which is fine for my other simulators too. And it doesn't interfere with my other games or require any other tweaking between games. Yeah!

Soooooooooooooooooo, if this ever happens to anyone else, going through what I did, have them try turning off the gamma control only, and go from there. It requires no other video programs.
Turning of Gamma correction is detailed in the first post, the option will interfere with SH4 for some reason. I'd also advice setting AA to "application controlled" and use profiles for individual games that need AA through the drivers. AA generated by the game engine generally looks/works better at less of a performance hit.

Also, when forcing AA through drivers on a game that has AA itself, use "enhance ingame setting" mode and enable AA in the game (doesn't matter what you set it to, the driver will override the setting). That way you get the AA you want while still using the games "AA method" (better performance/compatibility).

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 02:42 PM   #219
Griffon345
Watch

Downloads: 121

Dunno if its the right place but as its an Nvidia 8800gtx with nVidia 180.43beta driver giving me this screwy display:

It seems to be a double 'halo' around the camera. The inner shows more sea surface transparency than the outer with no surface transparency outside of the halo (see the first shot). It disappears with height above the sea resulting in no surface transparency at all. These shots are from the training and single missions.

I've tried all the tips with nHancer and reinstalled from scratch with the same results using stock 1.5 or any MOD.

Thanks in advance for the HELP!?
Griffon345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 10:09 PM   #220
Orion2012
Commodore

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffon345
Dunno if its the right place but as its an Nvidia 8800gtx with nVidia 180.43beta driver giving me this screwy display:

It seems to be a double 'halo' around the camera. The inner shows more sea surface transparency than the outer with no surface transparency outside of the halo (see the first shot). It disappears with height above the sea resulting in no surface transparency at all. These shots are from the training and single missions.

I've tried all the tips with nHancer and reinstalled from scratch with the same results using stock 1.5 or any MOD.

Thanks in advance for the HELP!?
I have an alpha OC 8800GT and with the same version on nforce I don't get that result.

Try the latest stable nforce version. Also did you disable everything in nhancer before you updated drivers? In some cases nhancer will effect driver installs due to the changes they make in the registry.
Old 11-21-08, 12:43 AM   #221
Griffon345
Watch

Thanks for the suggestion Orion2012. It set me thinking to reset nHancer. Once that was done and then the settings re-done, I got the transparency back. Cheers
Old 11-21-08, 12:54 AM   #222
Griffon345
Watch

Does anyone see a 'shimmering' effect when the view is rotated. Occurs through sections of the viewing arc as if there is a FPS slowdown but the ctl F8 display shows steady at 60fps or more. I see it during the Navigation training voyage through 9 o'clock clockwise to 1 o'clock.

MODS:
#1 PE4 Install main
#3_PE4_c_Submarine_Stock_caustics_rolllpitch_deepe r
#4 PE4 Ship_debris_SH4_with bodies
#5_PE4_real_reflections_for_harbour_and_objects
RFB_v1.52_102408
RFB_v1.52_Patch_111608
RSRDC_RFBv15_V396
Old 12-10-08, 08:11 PM   #223
punkmaster98
Gunner

Downloads: 38

all of a sudden my sh4 1.5 starts shuddering during gameplay. i recently updated to the most recent nvidia driver
punkmaster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-08, 11:37 PM   #224
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Which drivers are you using?

---------------------

Old 12-11-08, 08:09 PM   #225
punkmaster98
Gunner

Downloads: 38

honestly im not sure. its the latest one that just came out. how do i find it?
punkmaster98 is offline   Reply With Quote