SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-06-21, 07:38 PM   #1
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 0
Default Subsim & Windows 11

I am curious. How does the Win 11 intervention intercede with Subsim.? I have win 10 Home and want to know what the interaction twixt the two equates. There is no way I am going to allow Win 11 screw up Subsim.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-21, 09:51 AM   #2
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

There's some debate about most people's computers being unable to run Windows 11 in the first place, if this is true Microsoft will have willingly shot themselves in the foot.
I expect what he says in the video will all be changed in the final release version, if not, don't worry about it as Win 10's retirement date is not until 14/10/2025.

Old 10-20-21, 03:35 PM   #3
pabbi
Subsim Overlord

Downloads: 420

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.81 GHz

Installed RAM 16,0 GB

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition Windows 11 Home

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

250 GB hard drive

2 TB storage drive

This is my computer, it runs all my games very well SH3 SH4 and some other games

On the top of the world
pabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-21, 04:25 PM   #4
Red Devil
The Old Man

Not tested on my pc but my surface tablet says no, defo NO!
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 10-20-21, 05:45 PM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Myself... just had updater for Window's... try to push Me to a Win 11 update... I think.

Computer rebooted on Me, no warning... when it booted back up, got some message box that popped up & read:

"Oh, we're sorry, but... you're NOT able to upgrade to Win 11."

I agree with moonlight...

Windows, just shot themselves... majorly...

M. M.
Old 10-20-21, 06:11 PM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I am on a Windows Insider hub, and my machine has attempted 3 Win11 updates without my permission on the "Insider" computer - but that's what it is. MS did re-release the System Checker tool to help see if you are "ready" for Windows 11, and does have better results now:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...reviewpchealth

download the appropriate version for your computer. I do not know for certain, but if memory serves correctly, it will not run from Win7. The problem with Win11 is that you need a UEFI "bios", AND a "Trusted Platform Module" (TPM), which is what kills it for ALL of the computers in my house... I do have two computers with UEFI, but they are NOT new enough for a TPM. Supposedly, rumor has it (such a reliable source) that after 1st Jan 2022, that there will be another version of Win11 that will be compatible with older hardware. Don't hold your breath...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...d-7674389a7ba3

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-21, 07:08 PM   #7
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I am on a Windows Insider hub, and my machine has attempted 3 Win11 updates without my permission on the "Insider" computer - but that's what it is. MS did re-release the System Checker tool to help see if you are "ready" for Windows 11, and does have better results now:

download the appropriate version for your computer. I do not know for certain, but if memory serves correctly, it will not run from Win7. The problem with Win11 is that you need a UEFI "bios", AND a "Trusted Platform Module" (TPM), which is what kills it for ALL of the computers in my house... I do have two computers with UEFI, but they are NOT new enough for a TPM. Supposedly, rumor has it (such a reliable source) that after 1st Jan 2022, that there will be another version of Win11 that will be compatible with older hardware. Don't hold your breath...

Microshaf... urhm... Microsoft, can kiss My aft quarters...

Ain't King Solomon... & NOT gonna go broke, going out & buying a brand new computer...

Win 11, is Win 8 debacle, all over again...

dunno what movie I'm remembering this line from, but...

Dey never learn...

M. M.
Old 10-21-21, 04:44 AM   #8
Red Devil
The Old Man

Quote:

I tried the top link, it says you are not an insider, go forth and multiply!!
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 10-21-21, 07:45 AM   #9
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Microshaf... urhm... Microsoft, can kiss My aft quarters...

Ain't King Solomon... & NOT gonna go broke, going out & buying a brand new computer...

Win 11, is Win 8 debacle, all over again...

dunno what movie I'm remembering this line from, but...

Dey never learn...

M. M.
I think of 10 being win8, Frankly I would have paid a yearly subscription to keep winXP and win7 updated and secure. Easiest I've worked with and most compatible especially XP with older games. I hate 10, I can imagine what 11 will be.
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-21, 09:36 AM   #10
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
I tried the top link, it says you are not an insider, go forth and multiply!!
Oh wow! Rude!!! Let me see if I can find a "clean" link that is NOT associated with Windows Insider...

Edit: ... wait... it IS a Preview app... whuh? One site says Insiders only, another says use the Windows 11 page and that there is a link there... but unless I'm logged-in, I don't see no shtinking link... ?? It apparently is STILL not ready for primetime. hmmm... gettin' kind of late in the game for this.

like 1Patriotofmany, I prefer XP over 7 (and over all others), other than the 64-bit niceties of 7 for LAA with SH4 and the newer audio plug-ins I use, which while I had a 64-bit edition of XP, most stuff did NOT work in it, and its 32-bit kludge was a kludge... sigh - so a lot of 32-bit stuff wouldn't work either... So I now have two "isolated" computers in the basement with one being a DOS / Win98 machine (old old games - amazing how good some of those still are), and another being an XP-only machine for my "professional" audio recording, but without any of the 'modern' plug-ins that are 64-bit and/or Win7 or better only... I cannot afford to continually 'upgrade' everything I own like "they" insist. Don't get me started on "subscriptions"...

Last edited by propbeanie; 10-21-21 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Wow - no linkie available...
Old 10-21-21, 09:51 AM   #11
Red Devil
The Old Man

Quote:
Oh wow! Rude!!! Let me see if I can find a "clean" link that is NOT associated with Windows Insider...

ahaha!!!
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 10-22-21, 10:17 AM   #12
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Quote:

Edit: ... wait... it IS a Preview app... whuh? One site says Insiders only, another says use the Windows 11 page and that there is a link there... but unless I'm logged-in, I don't see no shtinking link... ?? It apparently is STILL not ready for primetime. hmmm... gettin' kind of late in the game for this.

like 1Patriotofmany, I prefer XP over 7 (and over all others), other than the 64-bit niceties of 7 for LAA with SH4 and the newer audio plug-ins I use, which while I had a 64-bit edition of XP, most stuff did NOT work in it, and its 32-bit kludge was a kludge... sigh - so a lot of 32-bit stuff wouldn't work either... So I now have two "isolated" computers in the basement with one being a DOS / Win98 machine (old old games - amazing how good some of those still are), and another being an XP-only machine for my "professional" audio recording, but without any of the 'modern' plug-ins that are 64-bit and/or Win7 or better only... I cannot afford to continually 'upgrade' everything I own like "they" insist. Don't get me started on "subscriptions"...
LOL We sound the same. Crusty old men. I still have XP64 and win98SE and multitudes of dos and windows 98 games. CGA/EGA state of the art graphics LOL. Harpoon was an awesome game at the time then Harpoon2. Battle of Britain, Secret weapons of the luftwaffe, Doom, all the doom extensions, now I'm way off topic. I could list all the games I've spent money on. Still have 5.25 floppies even. Probably my heirs will throw them all out.
Old 10-22-21, 01:33 PM   #13
propbeanie

Well... a C-64 with "Up Periscope" and "Hunt For Red October" is what I blame for starting this fire of an obsession... lol - btw, it is in the corner of the basement plugged-in and still used also - :yikes:

Old 10-23-21, 07:22 AM   #14
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Quote:
Well... a C-64 with "Up Periscope" and "Hunt For Red October" is what I blame for starting this fire of an obsession... lol - btw, it is in the corner of the basement plugged-in and still used also - :yikes:
Same here, that's awesome, C64 started it all for me with "real computers", I still have a bunch of c64 games along with a c64 and the 1541 drive. I did have a C128 at one time also. Can't say I pull that out of the closet much. I also have hunt for red october. Red Storm rising was pretty good back in the day too. Pretty cool how much computing power and graphics have advanced in our lifetime. I think of the 80's as the golden age. I still have an Amstrad 512 8086/8088 also. I think it was a whopping 2 MHZ processor IIRC. LOL
Old 10-23-21, 11:41 AM   #15
Red Devil
The Old Man

Its not that long ago when I thought a pc was a policeman
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk