SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-25-21, 04:14 PM   #46
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 0

On advice from a win 10 forum I did the following:

Search box, regedit and follow this path;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System

Open system and look opposite for enableLUA. Click on this and you will see on the pop up a rectangle with a 1 it it. change this to 0 And click OK. Close this down, close down the pc and then boot it up again. The problem was fixed on mine and I went straight into the game.

The problem was caused by a recent windows feature upgrade which has screwed many pc SH4 gamers up and probably others. I have asked an insider to speak to MS and kick them up the (cough). Telling them off for fixing something which was not broke.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-21, 07:18 PM   #47
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post

Open system and look opposite for enableLUA. Click on this and you will see on the pop up a rectangle with a 1 it it. change this to 0 And click OK. Close this down, close down the pc and then boot it up again. The problem was fixed on mine and I went straight into the game.

The problem was caused by a recent windows feature upgrade which has screwed many pc SH4 gamers up and probably others. I have asked an insider to speak to MS and kick them up the (cough). Telling them off for fixing something which was not broke.
I used this for FS9, but I had UAC deactivated. FS9.exe continues to don´t work. My SH4 and SH5 work fine with the latest update of W10, with and without UAC (the enableLUA entry in the registry). But MSFS2004 (FS9) is out, and I don´t know how to make work it. Died.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-21, 07:54 AM   #48
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Why You Shouldn’t Disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows
https://www.howtogeek.com/124754/htg...t-disable-uac/
Old 06-27-21, 08:48 AM   #49
Red Devil
The Old Man

thank you for that link. I do understand but I would rather wait until MS fix it before I go down that road. My Kaspersky Total Security seems to be doing its job.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 07-04-21, 01:14 PM   #50
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
I used this for FS9, but I had UAC deactivated. FS9.exe continues to don´t work. My SH4 and SH5 work fine with the latest update of W10, with and without UAC (the enableLUA entry in the registry). But MSFS2004 (FS9) is out, and I don´t know how to make work it. Died.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
Dunno if it works for Win10, but in Win7, I had to arm the secdrv driver which an update disabled. I then have to start FS9, close it from task manager ( running it the first time arms the rundll) and then run it again to get it to run.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-21, 09:34 AM   #51
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

... - Someone in the SH3 threads had similar happening with the game running in the background, but not displaying. I cannot find the postings about what they did... Memory is not my strong suite anymore, but it might have been the "Properties" page for the game executable, just like with Silent Hunter 4 - but your mentioning of that driver sounds familiar also... Windows 10 especially really tries to "Smooth" things, and alter the DPI stuff itself, and attempts to "help" the user. The older DirectX 9 games do not have the "circuitry" to understand that, just like they don't know what "virtualization" is when it comes to addressing, which is why they all get confused when you shell-out to Windows from one of the old games...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-21, 09:38 AM   #52
l02turner
Soundman

Downloads: 167
date A Fix for Blocking SH4 Exe

Quote:

I followed your suggestions and all went well until I clicked "enableLUA" and no popup appeared. I went to Edit\Modify and a pop up opened with a 1 in the white box.

Is that the value I change to 0?

I hesitate to edit the registry as I was always told serious damage can occur so I tread slowly & cautiously. Thanks for the detailed instructions!

Down scope....
l02turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-21, 10:34 AM   #53
Red Devil
The Old Man

yes, change the 1 for a 0
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 07-08-21, 08:24 PM   #54
l02turner
Soundman

Default Win10 and Executables

I made the registry change but when I tried to run SH4 I got a pop-up error saying, "code execution cannot proceed because um.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix the problem."
I searched my SH4 folder for um.dll and the only one found was in the backup Registry I had created.

Should I just unchange the Registry change made? Doesn't seem like things should be so difficult, right?

Thanks for the help -
Larry
Old 07-09-21, 09:41 AM   #55
Red Devil
The Old Man

No idea, as I never had that problem. Yours could have been caused by a mod, but thats only a guess.
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 07-18-21, 07:35 AM   #56
IronsMan
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 20

Quote:

Thank you for this. I was about to give up after having the same issue.
IronsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-21, 09:04 AM   #57
Red Devil
The Old Man

Default Win 10 Forum

The win 10 forum has been going online since Win10 came out. I have been a member there since 2013. They have helped me out with loads of problems, puzzles and glitches. Its called tenforums.com

Now, they have also started up Win 11 forum, run by the same people. Win 11 is now available as a free upgrade, but after reading many posts on various aspects of Win 11, I have decided to steer clear, for now.

elevenforum.com

They also go on about Win 11 ISO - I dont understand a word or the instructions on how to install it. Those that have also report problems with win 11 boot software and something called TPM.

edit: another point: check carefully the compatibility of Win 11 with your rig. Details and checklist online
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk

Last edited by Red Devil; 07-18-21 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-18-21, 01:13 PM   #58
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

IronsMan!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-21, 08:18 AM   #59
l02turner
Soundman

Default A Fix for Windows 10 Blocking SH4 Exe

While I have seen the issue you describe I am seeing a different problem. When I launch SH4, I usually launch JGSME, then I click SH4. I see the brief movie about the developer of SH4 followed by a longer movie with a poem read to us. I usually hit ESC to stop both of those and the main SH4 launches with the red progress bar below it. But the progress stops at approx 80% and goes no further. At that point I am unable to recover without doing a hard reset where I hold the Power button down for 7+ seconds.

Is anyone else getting that error? Is there a fix? I'm about to remove everything relating to S4 and reinstall starting with my SH4 CD.

Suggestions?
TIA -
Old 07-24-21, 08:47 AM   #60
Red Devil
The Old Man

I open the game via a desktop icon (sh4 launcher NOT game icon), and I dont touch JGSME unless I want to look at a mod etc. When I last loaded sh4 from disk, I had a problem via the icon. I went into properties (right click on icon) and then compatibility where i run it with Windows XP Service pack 2. Change high DPI setting and in here, I have both boxes ticked. Image of both boxes attached. No prbs here. Mine loads to 80, pauses a couple of seconds then races to the end of the red line. I have it on 1920 x 1080 at 60 Mhz. Sorry about size of image, maybe you can blow it up a bit. I cant use the other button as I dont have relevant places to store images. DPI change to when I open windows
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sh4.jpg (20.5 KB, 4 views)
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk

Last edited by Red Devil; 07-24-21 at 08:56 AM.