SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-08-12, 11:07 AM   #16
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Oh no Ducimus, on the contrary: That one despite being about airplanes is still probably more accurate as a subsim than SHO
I cannot refute the validity of your statement good sir .
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 04:04 AM   #17
Steed007
Swabbie

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0
I got a million things to say about sh5 so yea sh6 I not even gonna waste my time trying I wont even bother downloading it as a beta.

I refuse to play it based on the companys previouse attempts and I know its gonna be buggy and far from completed so yea my answer to UBI is NO
I have paid lots of money for games in the past and they just end up crap so I am peed off its always the same far from complete lots of cool grafix and poor game play.

a lost customer my rating for sh6 is 1 out of 10

Steed007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-12, 03:23 AM   #18
rascal101
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 200
Default Greetings one and all

I HAV'NT BEEN ON Subsim for months so not sure what’s what, whose who or where's where - any way - while I AGREE SH5 was a total disappointment - lets just give this a bit of space instead of just automatically condemning it - for god sake

Surely the development team, and more importantly UBI Management are aware of the disappointment SH5 caused; surly they wouldn’t want to repeat that all over again

Having said that - if they do a US/Pacific SUB SIM instead of Atlantic then all bets are off, they can shove it...............

I thought that was a very measured response

Rascal
rascal101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-12, 07:14 AM   #19
P_Funk
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal101 View Post
...while I AGREE SH5 was a total disappointment - lets just give this a bit of space instead of just automatically condemning it - for god sake

Surely the development team, and more importantly UBI Management are aware of the disappointment SH5 caused; surly they wouldn’t want to repeat that all over again
Someone probably said the same thing about the quality of SH4 in the discussion of the pending release of SH5.

I want to know where the faith we're supposed to be putting into this forthcoming product is supposed to meterialize from? The experience we've had over the last 3 Silent Hunter products has been a pattern of declining quality. The faith of the sim community has been steadily abused and taken for granted. Publishers have taken talented developers and quashed their creative potential by placing unrealistic development timelines on them, steadily reducing the overall quality of the released product. Past that they've also through this policy of rapid development turnover left us with steadily less and less polished final products becuase of more and more limited patching. The product we buy isn't getting better, and when they make a new one its not getting better either. They sell us a more bitter lemon with every new release.

If you bought apples from a grocer and every time the apples got mushier and tasted more bland and got more bruised, why should you have any faith that the next batch is going to be worth your money?

Now, we're not only seeing yet another hurried develoment title but we're seeing it gutted of its inherent credibility as a sim because of this MMO F2P nonsense. These games are rarely in any sense of the term "Realistic" nor are they particularly cerebral. They also afford the end user absolutely ZERO ability to modify the game whatsoever. On top of that the pricing scale is designed to force us to pay even more money than a flat purchase gives us.

Where in this entire scheme of the ongoing development of the Silent Hunter brand are we supposed to see the light at the end of the tunnel? The only shred of optimism one can pray before in this bitter recounting of my favourite sim's recent history is one of pure delusion and wishful thinking.

This is all about simple deductive reasoning. The entire business strategy of Ubisoft of late has shown itself to be against the better interests of this kind of community. Their strategy is all about money. Myself, as a consumer, my strategy is all about getting for my money the value I seek. I see a diametrically opposed set of intersts at play here. Why do we have to give the people trying to find the fastest way to the bottom our pocket the benefit of the doubt?

Given their recent track record if anything THEY have to prove to us that its worth anything, that is if they still care about us which I don't think they do. They went MMO because they want the cash from mainstream buyers. If thats the case, which it very likely is, then basically the product is now outside the parameters that attracts most of us to the brand in the first place.

There are so many reasons to be skeptical of SHO that I don't know which one to even put on the top of the list.

P_Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-12, 07:55 AM   #20
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Thank you, P_Funk. An excellent summation of the way most of us feel, and probably the best post on the subject to date.
Old 05-27-12, 09:22 AM   #21
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Funk View Post
There are so many reasons to be skeptical of SHO that I don't know which one to even put on the top of the list.

Won't be rushing to SHO. Ubisoft simply does not listen to it's customers-core base. I am long past tired of it.

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-12, 10:09 AM   #22
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

If I was a developer of software I would research the company giving me an offer to develop something for them first before committing to it. Maybe this developer will learn a hard lesson When all you see is $ and greed takes over common sense goes out the window...
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 01:20 PM   #23
7thSeal
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
When all you see is $ and greed takes over common sense goes out the window...
That is gaming and those developing it as of now, anyone developing outside this 'rule' is quickly bought up which again points to greed. Its not going to change anytime soon because it has become the normal and business. Long run for corporate is quick profit....
7thSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 06:06 PM   #24
mcdamoose
Nub

Downloads: 135

This is going to fail harder than the fourth crusade. Ubisoft has alienated the core SH fanbase to the point where most have given up hope for the franchise and just play GWX or SH4 with one of the supermods. Meanwhile the casual gamers are going to walk the other way as soon as they hear "submarine simulation". There is no way in hell this is going to take off.
mcdamoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-12, 08:15 PM   #25
U-395
Watch

Downloads: 299

Not to pre-judge the new online game, it hasn't been released yet and no one has tried it out yet to the best of my knowledge. Personally I'm not thrilled about it from what I read, and if UBIsoft doesn't listen to us gamers then I'm afraid all might be lost.

I've been playing SHII and miss the days of playing against Destroyer command. Those days were fun, SHIII was better and even though SH5 has all those bugs, I still enjoy playing it with a little help from the Mod developers. GWX improved SHIII 100% and it's too bad that GWX disbanded because I would have loved to see what they could have produced for SH5.

It is my opinion that if UBIsoft wishes to win our hearts and minds once again, they need to fix all the bugs in SH5 completely and make a new Destroyer Command and make it workable online with SH5.

Just a thought- and my 2 cents worth if anyone cares.

Pete
U-395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 03:34 AM   #26
Ilki
Swabbie

Downloads: 43

Subsims aren't exactly your mass market products. Big players like Ubisoft are indeed out there to make the most for their shareholders. They do care what you think of their game. However they would care a lot more if you held their stock. It's the market economy lads, and games are bigger than movies these days. This was not the case in the 90's when sim games could actually be profitable.
Ilki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 11:11 PM   #27
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilki View Post
It's the market economy lads, and games are bigger than movies these days. This was not the case in the 90's when sim games could actually be profitable.
If they were profitable in the 90's, shouldn't they still be profitable today?

I would be happy to pay for a fixed/updated version of SH 4.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 03:17 AM   #28
Ilki
Swabbie

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
If they were profitable in the 90's, shouldn't they still be profitable today?
Games cost tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands for big games to develop in the 90's.

These days they cost millions or tens of millions. Of course you could just develop a simple DOS game but who would buy it? Sure the market is bigger now too, but I think the increase can be tributed more to FPS enthusiasts than subsimmers.
Ilki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 08:57 PM   #29
badaboom
Weps

Downloads: 46

BUMMER
Old 06-17-12, 07:32 AM   #30
AndreOliveira
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0