SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-24-17, 09:40 AM   #1
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 96
Uploads: 0
Default New to SH4, Some Questions

So, right off the bat, I'm looking for mods...I need to install the 1.4 patch before I play, but I'm trying to decide whether I want the RFB mod or the TMO. With either one, I would like to run RSRDC as well.

I saw a YouTuber playing a German campaign as well, and was curious as to whether or not that came with any of the mods or was standard in 1.4.

If I could get some advice on which would better suit my fancy, please let me know. In addition, I'll probably be asking for links at a later time to the mods.

As much as I dislike it sometimes, I'm a tin can sailor, through and through.
Kaptlt.Endrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-17, 09:52 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

What was the source of your v1.3 game? If you've got a Steam version, the v1.4 update can not be installed on top of it.

The Uboats are in the v1.5 UBoat Missions Add-on, or Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific Gold Edition. The "stock" version is rather gaunt. You'll most likely want to use Lurker's Operation Monsun for that. All of the major mods' most recent offerings also require v1.5 UBoats...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-17, 01:06 PM   #3
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 96
Uploads: 0

Crap...I've got a Steam install. If I may ask, why can I not do the update?

Thank you for the news...I'll look into it.

As much as I dislike it sometimes, I'm a tin can sailor, through and through.
Kaptlt.Endrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-17, 01:26 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The German boats are in the v1.5 Uboat Missions "add-on" - which you have to pay money for...

Steam uses a different sort of "licensing" on their games to prevent the user from "illegal" activity. The v1.4 update will alter the executable file, and Steam will no longer recognize it as a "Steam" game. It used to be that you could grab the game folder and copy it elsewhere on your computer, and that can no longer be done. The game won't run. You have to use the Library in Steam to re-install the game into a different folder from the Program Files directory. That will allow modding, but the last I'd heard, you couldn't put the v1.4 update on any longer. You could always try and see what it does, if you don't have your game installed in the Windows "protected" folder Program Files or Program Files (x86) folder. But don't expect it to work. If you do a "Verify" in Steam, it will overwrite everything changed since the install, so be aware of that also.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote