SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-09-22, 06:51 AM   #1
jonny_bass26
Sailor man

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0
Default Changing aircraft in 1944 bombing raids?

Pretty much what it says on the tin...

From early 1944 (I think it is), you're faced with the prospect of the Allies bombing the harbour as you sail away from it - and your U-boat, too, if you choose to remain on the surface.

For immersion purposes, I love it - really adds to the sense of peril and of the walls closing in on the U-boats (and Nazi Germany generally). One quibble I've always had, though, is the aircraft assigned. Namely, you get B-24s coming in at low level, which is tantamount to suicide for them (as evidenced by the raid on the Ploesti oil refineries in 1943 IIRC).

So, to my question: is it possible to replace the squadron of B-24s with something a bit more appropriate, like Beaufighters or Mosquitoes? I've got S3ditor if that's required, as I imagine it would be. Any help gratefully received :-)
jonny_bass26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-22, 10:45 AM   #2
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_bass26 View Post

From early 1944 (I think it is), you're faced with the prospect of the Allies bombing the harbour as you sail away from it - and your U-boat, too, if you choose to remain on the surface.

For immersion purposes, I love it - really adds to the sense of peril and of the walls closing in on the U-boats (and Nazi Germany generally). One quibble I've always had, though, is the aircraft assigned. Namely, you get B-24s coming in at low level, which is tantamount to suicide for them (as evidenced by the raid on the Ploesti oil refineries in 1943 IIRC).

So, to my question: is it possible to replace the squadron of B-24s with something a bit more appropriate, like Beaufighters or Mosquitoes? I've got S3ditor if that's required, as I imagine it would be. Any help gratefully received :-)
Yes it is possible of course … no need for S3D… only a notepad to edit the campaign files … good luck
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-22, 05:19 PM   #3
VikingGrandad
Torpedoman

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_bass26 View Post

Reading this has just reminded me of one particularly awesome event I witnessed in SH3, many moons ago... An RAF night raid by Halifax bombers on my boat's home port. I guess it must have been with GWX3. Anyway, it was spectacular! I've just dug out the screenshots I kept on file from 2008(!):

Old 08-18-22, 05:33 PM   #4
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 428

Nice!

FUBAR295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-22, 05:34 PM   #5
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Part of the problem with level bombing raids is that we are in part, limited by the 'sky ceiling' in SH3. For those using external cameras, if you 'next unit' arrow key them, or use the free camera at higher altitudes, you get all kinds of weirdness with said camera. Ergo, you are forced to put the heavies at certain altitudes that aren't ideal.

Dramatic though.... ohhh yes.

I don't want to totally remove the heavy bombers because those air raids are just so incredibly cool.... especially at night.

However, interspersing some high speed Mosquito raids would look really cool.

We just need to look at whether or not Mossy raids were ever done on pens and when. Mossies couldn't really carry much of a load to harm the pens, but they might have had a shot (in real life) to get a bomb inside the pen openings, if they could catch them with the blast shields open. It also means other kinds of work too, that's doable as well. I'm not a big fan of conjectural stuff.

There are a couple other things we can to about the situation, but I'll keep that under my hat for now.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-22, 12:11 AM   #6
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann View Post
However, interspersing some high speed Mosquito raids would look really cool.
Something never been done, and allied did it very often over French harbors from 42, is throwing magnetic mines all over harbors channels with bunch of few planes…
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-22, 01:38 PM   #7
jonny_bass26
Sailor man

Downloads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann View Post
We just need to look at whether or not Mossy raids were ever done on pens and when. [...] I'm not a big fan of conjectural stuff.
I must confess I hadn't considered the "historical accuracy" part when I suggested it...for some reason I just assumed that Mosquito (or similar) raids on harbours - as opposed to the U-boat pens specifically - must have occured at some point. Maybe they did, but Wikipedia isn't exactly giving me grounds for optimism:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_pen

So I guess they're best left as they are, at least for now. I'm intrigued by what your "couple other things" are, but I think I can afford to wait.

Oh, and while you're here - many, many thanks for the wonderful work you and your cohort put into providing GWX for us all :-)
jonny_bass26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-22, 02:33 PM   #8
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingGrandad View Post
Reading this has just reminded me of one particularly awesome event I witnessed in SH3, many moons ago... An RAF night raid by Halifax bombers on my boat's home port. I guess it must have been with GWX3. Anyway, it was spectacular! I've just dug out the screenshots I kept on file from 2008(!):
Were the Air Raid Sirens going off?