Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 08-10-22, 06:14 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default SBP 4.3 released

Update from licenses 4.1 and newer: 40 Euros, from 4.0 on its 70 Euros, all older licenses 95 Euros. Totally new: 115 Euros.

The actual (new) version is 4.357.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-10-22 at 07:27 AM.

Old 09-09-22, 03:35 PM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

I finally tried to upgrade and get the license on the dongle and have stuff activated and whatever.

Failed.

They have, imo, hopelessly screwed up the process. I am so clueless that I could not even bother to start describing the problems' many faces and details to them, it would become a multiple afternoons-hours-long affair, and I do not have the nerve for such waste of time anymore. I write off the 40 Euros, forget SBP, and go on with my life.

Really in that process they have designed, not a single step works as described now. I have been with SBP since release 2006, and did several license ugrades and new installations of new versions. What it is now, is a mess. And that does not even include the map portation thing, which seems to add additional worries.

Schade drum. Hoffnungslos überkandidelt. But after 15 years to me its game over with SBP.

The software does not even normally deinstall, but clogs down the process over 45 minutes until I have enough and cold-restarted the system with progreess bar still at 15% or so, deleting the game folder by hand and cleaning the registry manually where need be. The process is hopelessly porked.

Last edited by Skybird; 09-09-22 at 04:02 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-22, 03:47 AM   #3
Polak2
Weps

Downloads: 60

Quote:
not even include the map portation thing, which seems to add additional worries
Curious what is all that?
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-22, 07:03 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

At some time they implemented new map data format, and scenarios with old maps needed kind of transformation of the map data, like you also had to adapt to weathe rand time data some years before when takign older scenarios into newer versions of SBP.

I had just given it a last try, and spend HOURS already again with it, the full morning and midday, its 1400 hours over here. The dongle seems to have been shreddered by the licensing procedure now, too, not even older licenses/SBP versions work anymore, and nothing will get ever solved or explained without a hassle going back and forth via emails. I decided to call it quits and leave SBP behind. The procedure is too messy. To imagine I have to go through that again when I replace my HD or computer, is not really inviting, so a life without SBP from now on looks like the better option. Even when buying everything new from scratch would see me needing to go through the online licensing and license-to-dongle mess again, so that is no option. It all worked much better years ago. I mean I am with SBP since 2006, sicne relase, wrote a long review about it, l interviewed them. I did some upgrades of SBP before, bought via okaysoft in Germany (no more an option).

Can no longer recommend it. Even their explanatory videos on the matter (they need to post a full thread with half a dozen of videos and dozens screenshots trying to explain this all, that already tells somethign, doesnt it...) had me at a loss, and some of the things said in there simply do not work as explained.
Old 09-10-22, 10:30 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Damage cpontainment. At least I got the old 4.268 to work again, so the doingle is not broken at least.

But that was a dance to get there. Costed me again the better part of this day to ge there. I write off those 40 Euros, and never touch the installation with any upgrade again.
Old 09-10-22, 01:28 PM   #6
Polak2
Weps

Very sad to hear tall this.

So it is my understanding that the installation of this new 4.3 version messed up the dongle?

I have still one of the earlier versions of SBProPE but trying even to figure out how to upgrade from that gives me headaches and headspins.

I have to share this here IMHO when the company's main customer is not the public but the military establishments, then surely at some point gaming problems of the little dwarfs like us are not of anyone's top concern .
Also, I think, that given the same or similarly small manpower resources in the company which is faced with more complex demands of the mil customers, sooner or later forces them to prioritize their time and attention to what is more lucrative. The public and their problems may become more of a time drain and burden than an asset.

I hope that is not the case yet, but from what you describe it sure looks pretty uneasy and perhaps even worse.
Old 09-10-22, 03:09 PM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

The license for upgrade to 4.3 did not end up on the dongle, for whatever a reason, it is only "activated", somewhere in the web, but the dongle's licenses are only recognised until the older ones I bought earlier. At last thats how I try to make sense of it.

Old scnearios from pre-4.0 need their maps beign converted, and that tool again is anything but convenient and I just found that my older reinstallation (pre-4.3) now suffers from this, too, giving me even more need to invest plenty of time just to convert a single scenario into a playable state.

Or download, one by one, new ones (and edit them to my needs and likings). Thats is a valid option and probably the defence they would make. I hav e not tried it. I was so angry and busy that it did not came to my mind to try that.

So i think I will go back with another installation and back to version 2.670 or something in that range. That was when I was very busy with the game years ago, when modders where around a lot, and the sim community was alive and busy. Thats the stuff I am familiar with, the sim status I knew well. It seesm that with the arrival of version 3 and then 4, the forum of theirs, the online community and all that declined in members and activities, and I now see why. It has lost accessability and became too complicated to handle and maintain, I think. I lost track of it during version 3 (they had no payment options useful for me back then, so i was forced to skip on versions 3.x), for severla years, and was away from the sim for some years. It now may have gotten all the features demanded, but I am driven away by how complicated it has beocme to manage.

In other words, I rapidly loose both patience and interest. They may suit their professional customers on whcih the ymust focus on anyway, but I also have the impression they have lost many of their private playing customers.

I could write some scenarios for my own use again, but I am not interested in that anymore. 16 years have passed, I mean. I have changed. So last try tomorrow for me with installing 2.x again.

Why must things always turn ever more complicated all life long... Its becoming tiresome!
Old 09-10-22, 07:26 PM   #8
Polak2
Weps

More reasons for the GHPC to become the new SB for the public.
Although I wish only I had that confidence that they will at least try.
We will see.
Old 09-11-22, 08:08 AM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

Sherman Commander this year. Tank Squad next year. And one can always stick to SBP PE v2.xxx . Even version 2 still would rule the bunch of tank games today.
Old 09-11-22, 02:10 PM   #10
Polak2
Weps

Steel Beasts Pro PE 2.654 (980 MB, 4/4/2012)
You MUST have a CodeMeter stick with an SB Pro PE 2.6 license in order to run this version!

I see in e-Sim downloads 2.654 as the last update before version 3.x

Are the licenses for older versions still being sold from e-Sim store?
Old 09-12-22, 10:47 AM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

The license verison you actually own includes all lower licenses, AFAIK. Read again: AFAIK.

I have downloaded 2.654 yesterday night, I just am tired of messing around with maps and licenses, and so go back to SBP v2 where all that and existing scenairos and mods were last time compatible. The compatbility "issues" began with verison 3, due to fundamentally new map data formats and such things. All scenarios and maps forme arlier verison needed to be altered to adapt to that.

I also have 4.2xx (one version before now actual 4.35x) installed. If i would be in the mood later to do a new scenairo for my own joy, I would do it in that version.

But playing the old scnerarios again I simply will go the easy way and stick with version 2.

Obviously several different versions of SBP can be installed at the same time and do work, as long as the licenses on the dongle cover them.

There are in general far less scenarios available for later versions of SBP, than for versions up to v2.xxx
Old 09-12-22, 04:24 PM   #12
Polak2
Weps

I decided too to dive into my very early version of SB ProPE. I shall allow myself some time to relearn the tank basics and see how far I get into SBProPE this time around.
Is there anywhere in SBPro PE a screen that could tell me what version am I playing?
Old 09-12-22, 04:27 PM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak2 View Post
I decided too to dive into my very early version of SB ProPE. I shall allow myself some time to relearn the tank basics and see how far I get into SBProPE this time around.
Is there anywhere in SBPro PE a screen that could tell me what version am I playing?
Yes, the main menu screen, somewhere in one of the corners.