SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-10-21, 11:16 PM   #961
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by themrwho View Post
I am guessing this is simply because devs didn't care about the damage/injuries enough to make saves reliable on that aspect. Community made this game less arcadish.
please, do not start in on the poor design of this game. it is shameful.
i have to stop now, before i am banned.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-21, 08:14 AM   #962
VDraculaV
Seaman

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 1

noticed today that map grids that are shown on map do not match game's and real map grids.
I was given a task to patrol at grid BF24 and stay on station for 96 hours. After entering that grid i send a status report, and it stated that i am in grid BF16 instead.

then i sailed further to the east until my status report noted that i am in grid BF24. The game is counting a grid that i marked pink on the screenshot as BF24. Wich, according to "waterengland.jpg" (found in "\Support\OM_Intel_files"), is in fact the real grid BF24.

is there any fix for that out there already?
VDraculaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-21, 04:16 PM   #963
dex
Engineer

Downloads: 198
Uploads: 0
Default about turm upgrade problem

some update DW is it solve something about turm upgrade
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-21, 11:35 AM   #964
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

@ VDraculaV - that was a problem in OM, maybe in stock, as well as SH3, and I am not aware of a "fix". One of these days, given time constraints of all parties involved with DW, we might get time to look at the issue. One idea is for the player to ignore the grid assignment, and to zoom in on the location of the "Star" icon for the mission assignment, and draw a circle of the given dimensions in the orders you receive (75km, 100km, whatever), and stay within that circle, whether or not it is close to the grid assignment. The "Star" on the NavMap is where the boundaries of that particular mission is located. It is extremely difficult to match the grid to the actual assignment in some areas.

@ dex - No, the issue will remain for now. There might actually be more involved in "fixing" that than there is for what VDraculaV has found with the grid not matching the assignment. It may well be that both are impossible to deal with because of the game itself. The turms are done like a boat upgrade, but since there are very few upgrades available to the boat you start with, the turm upgrades can happen more often. However, with the plethora of possible attached equipment having to match the turm, which has to match the boat, the possibilities of getting it all correct are enormous. Given the amount of boats, turms & equipment in the original OM, in which the turm upgrades did not function correctly, it will take quite a while of sifting through the files to find all of the pieces for each boat and its possible turms. If time ever permits, between all involved with DW, someone of us might get a chance to catalog all of the parts and begin the necessary changes, but in the meantime, the use of OM technique, of which I cannot find any reference to right now, would be only course of action for the player. It involves making a copy of the Save folder information, then starting a new career as close to the same date as possible, then adding the saved career's data into the new career. Most previous information is loast, but the commander's rank and a few other bits of information are retained... KaleunMarco might recall the technique, or if I can find it later, I'll update here.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-21, 12:23 PM   #965
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
@ dex - No, the issue will remain for now. There might actually be more involved in "fixing" that than there is for what VDraculaV has found with the grid not matching the assignment. It may well be that both are impossible to deal with because of the game itself. The turms are done like a boat upgrade, but since there are very few upgrades available to the boat you start with, the turm upgrades can happen more often. However, with the plethora of possible attached equipment having to match the turm, which has to match the boat, the possibilities of getting it all correct are enormous. Given the amount of boats, turms & equipment in the original OM, in which the turm upgrades did not function correctly, it will take quite a while of sifting through the files to find all of the pieces for each boat and its possible turms. If time ever permits, between all involved with DW, someone of us might get a chance to catalog all of the parts and begin the necessary changes, but in the meantime, the use of OM technique, of which I cannot find any reference to right now, would be only course of action for the player. It involves making a copy of the Save folder information, then starting a new career as close to the same date as possible, then adding the saved career's data into the new career. Most previous information is loast, but the commander's rank and a few other bits of information are retained... KaleunMarco might recall the technique, or if I can find it later, I'll update here.

Turm upgrades, at least the automatically offered upgrades, are offered/applied inconsistently in both the Atlantic and Pacific SH4 modules (yes, there are two code sets).

you can apply turm upgrades manually if you can perform text editing using Notepad or some similar text-only app. Download this set of directions, perform the edits, and you should get your turm.
send me a PM (private message) if you run into a snag.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5726

km

LAA enabled
Old 03-12-21, 12:26 PM   #966
propbeanie

Hah! The man of ACTION!!!

Old 03-12-21, 12:26 PM   #967
rschilla
Seaman

Downloads: 22

You know what would help most of all? On the screen that says, "your boat is eligible for a Turm upgrade. OK?"

There should be a second choice that says "NO!!!! IT IS NOT OKAY!"

Problem solved.

One choice is not a good answer.
rschilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-21, 12:33 PM   #968
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschilla View Post
You know what would help most of all? On the screen that says, "your boat is eligible for a Turm upgrade. OK?"

There should be a second choice that says "NO!!!! IT IS NOT OKAY!"

Problem solved.

One choice is not a good answer.
yes, it would.
however, the code design does not allow for that type of user-based change like so many of the features that we mod.
if you play the ATO-side, sometimes....you will have a new turm offered, but it is inconsistent.
i have never been offered a conning tower upgrade playing the PTO. never. in thousands of career missions.

LAA enabled
Old 03-12-21, 12:35 PM   #969
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Hah! The man of ACTION!!!
RL has been busy lately. sometimes i have time to browse and answer posts and sometimes i only have time to browse.

LAA enabled
Old 03-12-21, 02:06 PM   #970
dex
Engineer

Downloads: 198
Icon14

Quote:
@ VDraculaV - that was a problem in OM, maybe in stock, as well as SH3, and I am not aware of a "fix". One of these days, given time constraints of all parties involved with DW, we might get time to look at the issue. One idea is for the player to ignore the grid assignment, and to zoom in on the location of the "Star" icon for the mission assignment, and draw a circle of the given dimensions in the orders you receive (75km, 100km, whatever), and stay within that circle, whether or not it is close to the grid assignment. The "Star" on the NavMap is where the boundaries of that particular mission is located. It is extremely difficult to match the grid to the actual assignment in some areas.

it's to complicated for me really

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
Turm upgrades, at least the automatically offered upgrades, are offered/applied inconsistently in both the Atlantic and Pacific SH4 modules (yes, there are two code sets).

you can apply turm upgrades manually if you can perform text editing using Notepad or some similar text-only app. Download this set of directions, perform the edits, and you should get your turm.
send me a PM (private message) if you run into a snag.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5726

km
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-21, 06:47 PM   #971
themrwho
Torpedoman

Downloads: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDraculaV View Post
noticed today that map grids that are shown on map do not match game's and real map grids.
I was given a task to patrol at grid BF24 and stay on station for 96 hours. After entering that grid i send a status report, and it stated that i am in grid BF16 instead.<snip>
You have already received detailed answers above from mod devs. As a user of the mod, I just would like to add another confirmation that I have been doing exactly what's been suggested above:

1. Draw a 200 km circle around the "map marker",
(side note: I don't get a star on my map - I get an arrow-styled marker as I've enabled the Dark Waters module that changes campaign map icons).
2. I patrol within the circle and never had any issues with the above.

In summary: Simply ignoring grid coordinates and going off of visual marker plus the "n kilometers range" value in mission text works great.
themrwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-21, 08:13 PM   #972
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
You have already received detailed answers above from mod devs. As a user of the mod, I just would like to add another confirmation that I have been doing exactly what's been suggested above:

(side note: I don't get a star on my map - I get an arrow-styled marker as I've enabled the Dark Waters module that changes campaign map icons).

In summary: Simply ignoring grid coordinates and going off of visual marker plus the "n kilometers range" value in mission text works great.
Finally, someone who reads posts.
i think i may stroke-out from the shock!

LAA enabled
Old 03-12-21, 08:53 PM   #973
propbeanie

Quote:

I forgot about that little detail... lol - but it is supposed to actually be a 3rd Reich Eagle statue... lol - It did not translate too well in the "shrinking" process...

Quote:
Finally, someone who reads posts.
i think i may stroke-out from the shock!

I did a double-take also... lol

Old 03-13-21, 12:06 AM   #974
themrwho
Torpedoman

Downloads: 140

Quote:
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Finally, someone who reads posts.<snip>

Quote:
I forgot about that little detail... lol - but it is supposed to actually be a 3rd Reich Eagle statue... lol - It did not translate too well in the "shrinking" process...
Is it this arrow+textbox that had a 3RE statue?
I'm curious where was the eagle, at the bottom of the text (above the arrow's base)?
themrwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-21, 02:27 AM   #975
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Dex! after a nice 7 year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote