SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-31-09, 05:14 PM   #3001
tei
Bosun

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 0
Default a few words:

@ Gunfighter, Armistead, captgeo,
Many thanks for your kind words, guys! I really appreciate it.
I'm working with each image for about three nights, from 10 to 20 hours on average. It’s depend on complexity, on my skills, and on my patience, of course. And always pleased to hear, that I spent my time not in vain. Thanks a lot guys!
Now I don’t exhibit my works for the SS contest at the UBI - SH4 forum, just because these are not "edited screenshots" from the game. Sometimes I draw from scratch; sometimes I use a non-textured 3D-model for the basic perspectives and to see the main composition of the picture for themselves; sometimes I use stock textures and brushes. But I use the screenshots very rarely. Reason: I like to draw from scratch.
I post my works in this thread "Silent Hunter 4" -> “Screenshots and videos” because it’s just a habit. And I really don’t know: where I can find a common topic of the graphic arts here on Subsim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
...What tools do you guys use, just photoshop, gimp...?
Armistead, I use Photoshop CS4 and graphics tablet Wacom Intuos 3 – really great tool for working with graphics.
Cheers!

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift." ©Alice Morse Earle
tei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 10:17 PM   #3002
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Wish I had those skills. My wife is a very good artist and has even sold some of her past work. She mostly doe's Civil War stuff for me and always has me a painting for Christmas. She did me a beautiful one of the Hunley. I'll try and take a picture and post it. She mostly doe's brush work, but also computer.

Those are great skills, you should print and sell them on ebay.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 10:24 PM   #3003
Spyguy101
Helmsman

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
It is kind of rising sunish maybe the IJN sailor would get filled with pride and forget that it was an american sub he was seeing until he got blown 200ft into the air along with a wall of water.

It is said that some brit artist was studying various colors for naval camouflage during WWII and he found that some hue of pink provided the least visibility but no self respecting sailor is going to sail on a pink warship.I think the hue was very odd though almost grey but still it was pink.We should really start a thread about camouflage we could talk about camo types and also post skins.
True, tried on some destroyers but didn't like it. Then the SAS found it and painted thier jeeps with it for raids on Rommels Africa Korps
Spyguy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 11:04 PM   #3004
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

Played with this pic for 1 hour in gimp... heres what I got...

something I made for the fun of it...
Old 08-01-09, 06:12 AM   #3005
Gunfighter
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 133
Default Enjoy your Graphics

@ Task Force keep at it,You hit nail on the head "For Fun" and thats what its all about.
@Armistead you can do it start with ScreenShot and just mess about with it in some graphics program.Some of my pictures are made up of 2 or 3 screenshots and just blended pushed and shoved, the above shot is made up of the sea & Sub from SH4 The Sky is from FltSIM X.give it a try and I would like to see some of your good ladys paintings of The civil war.
I to have Won SH4 comp 4 times and you see I'm a 70 yr Old Fart and if I can do it so can you.
tei is a Pro and I would love to be able to start from scratch but I enjoy doing it My Way
Old 08-01-09, 01:58 PM   #3006
Task Force
Rear Admiral

more stuff...

added a border.

just playin around...

@ gunfigher. thanks.
Old 08-01-09, 02:51 PM   #3007
Hotmanandre
Sparky

Downloads: 194

Height has typed try catch up
Hotmanandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-09, 06:52 PM   #3008
SgtPotato
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 96

Oh god, a jumping submarine! We're screwed!
SgtPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-09, 10:46 PM   #3009
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Thanks Gunfighter. I'm learning..I get a few votes on my edited ones, but I just do simple stuff with PS and gimp. Starting to learn how to blend things, layers, ect. You and tei just do some amazing things.
Are you really 70? I'm 46 and we didn't learn on computers growing up, so I take it you trained yourself.
I do AC, but job related, guess I can learn that, but no doubt being an artist is a talent.

My wife may still have a few for sell on Ebay, I'll check and see. She sells some to a dealer in Charleston. My daughter is also a great artist. However, they spend so much time showing dogs she doesn't paint much anymore

I have won the unedited contest now twice in a row at SH, so pretty good playing with those...

Last edited by Armistead; 08-01-09 at 10:59 PM.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 06:25 AM   #3010
Gunfighter
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 133
Default @Armistead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
Thanks Gunfighter. I'm learning..I get a few votes on my edited ones, but I just do simple stuff with PS and gimp. Starting to learn how to blend things, layers, ect. You and tei just do some amazing things.
Are you really 70? I'm 46 and we didn't learn on computers growing up, so I take it you trained yourself.
I do AC, but job related, guess I can learn that, but no doubt being an artist is a talent.

My wife may still have a few for sell on Ebay, I'll check and see. She sells some to a dealer in Charleston. My daughter is also a great artist. However, they spend so much time showing dogs she doesn't paint much anymore

I have won the unedited contest now twice in a row at SH, so pretty good playing with those...
Yup 70 but a young at heart 70 I did learn to use Graphics progs myself and when I started School I had A Slate and a piece of Chalk how things have changed I know tei is a Pro I have spoken to him a few times in PM's there's usualy a link to his work in his postings well worth a look.A nice guy too he pointed me to some tutorials on the WEB which have been a help so keep at it you'll get there.Off to sink some jap ships now."Ahead one third"
Old 08-02-09, 07:42 AM   #3011
captgeo
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter View Post

@ Task Force keep at it,You hit nail on the head "For Fun" and thats what its all about.
@Armistead you can do it start with ScreenShot and just mess about with it in some graphics program.Some of my pictures are made up of 2 or 3 screenshots and just blended pushed and shoved, the above shot is made up of the sea & Sub from SH4 The Sky is from FltSIM X.give it a try and I would like to see some of your good ladys paintings of The civil war.
I to have Won SH4 comp 4 times and you see I'm a 70 yr Old Fart and if I can do it so can you.
tei is a Pro and I would love to be able to start from scratch but I enjoy doing it My Way
Yes sir, I remember this shot very well, allways great to see it.
Old 08-02-09, 07:46 AM   #3012
captgeo
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 105

@ Taskforce,ver nice work, I have spent hrs on SS's and editing them also, but soon I will have to download a few programs to do some blending.
Old 08-02-09, 03:08 PM   #3013
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Thanks, I myself use gimp... Its not hard once you learn what everything does.
Old 08-02-09, 11:06 PM   #3014
FADM Gryphon
Lieutenant

Downloads: 97
Uploads: 1
Default USS Stingray SS-161 Sunrise at Pearl Harbor

Home of the Unorthodox Naval Shipyard
FADM Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-09, 11:44 AM   #3015
Morpheus
Ensign

Downloads: 17