SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-06-09, 03:56 PM   #1
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Default Setting up wireless network help.

OK this is the situation

1. Desktop with a modem router with wireless plugged into the desktop via the Ethernet connection

1. Laptop with built in wifi which connects to the router and can browse the internet.

I am struggling to create a wireless network so that the two machines can access each others files etc..as you would on a home network.

The networking wizards in XP don't make much sense. The desktop PC would be the 'server' so to speak as it has the router attached to it phsically but I'm stuck.

Please help.
Old 09-06-09, 05:10 PM   #2
Thomen
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by XabbaRus View Post
OK this is the situation

1. Desktop with a modem router with wireless plugged into the desktop via the Ethernet connection

1. Laptop with built in wifi which connects to the router and can browse the internet.

I am struggling to create a wireless network so that the two machines can access each others files etc..as you would on a home network.

The networking wizards in XP don't make much sense. The desktop PC would be the 'server' so to speak as it has the router attached to it phsically but I'm stuck.

Once you are in, you will probably find a couple of 'Wizards' that will help you with the setup process.

Please help.
You will have to configure the Router first.
Open your web browser and type in the 192.168.x.x number thats either written on the router or in the manual to open the configuration menu on the router.

Depending on the Router and or manufacturer, you might need to be wired into router and can not do the configuration over the wireless.

Once you are in, you will probably (again, depending on type and manufacter) find a couple of 'Wizards' that will help with the setup process.

What kind (model/manufactuer) of Router/Modem is it, btw?

Or do you mean an Ad hoc connection without going over the router first?

Futhermore, make sure, both machines are on the same subnet, if you have different subnets assigned that is. Don't forget to enable file sharing.

Oh.. and is the Laptop a Vista machine?
Thomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-09, 05:33 PM   #3
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

It's ok sorted it. The two computers could see each other just I had not enabled each computer to share the drives with each other.