mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
^
Good idea
But then your cat must have been born in the US (?)
Also what i take from the first sentence is that the first US president at least must have been a native american indian.
Animals aren't mentioned in the law on who can run for Presidency
I'm thinking which one of you American shall I pick to be the cats stand-in and VP.
My cat is good at two things-Hunt for Mize and chase other cats away..Which mean some real person has to be her stand-in.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-22, 03:42 PM   #4532
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostfriese View Post

The mid-terms have just showed that being Trump-backed is a way to lose elections.
It also is an indicator that he would lose in a general elections for president. IMO his running will prove to be a distraction and fodder for democrats. It has been for the past two years. At any rate, he will need to be nominated by the party. I do not see that happening. Ron DeSantis is the one to watch.
Old 11-16-22, 04:27 PM   #4533
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Lats night's not-so-new "news" is good news for the Democrats and bad news for democracy.

I'm not sure if you imagine the Democrats as the "Protectors of Democracy" or what.
Old 11-16-22, 04:38 PM   #4534
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
I'm not sure if you imagine the Democrats as the "Protectors of Democracy" or what.
No, not at all. Take both as two things, take what I said literally and not more and not less.

But I see Trump as the biggest frontal assault on basic democratic principles, starting with his lies about the stolen election and his motivating of the plebs for the attemtped coup - yes, a coup - on January 6th. Of all evils, I see Trump as the worst. Compared to him, Biden is a far lesser evil.

----------------

Anyway, the Tagesspiegel comments, and it opposes a bit what I said when I expressed that Trump may raise the Democrats chances (and damage democracy). Maybe I was too early. We will know in a year after the candidates' race, and if he succeeds: after the elections in two years. Currently I think other have greater chnaces, but Trump will tear the party apart. Maybe there will even be a split, which might be a good thing, to sort the good apples from the foul ones once and for all.
Der Tagesspiegel:

-------------------------
It all seemed like a B-movie, like a poor imitation of a Clint Eastwood production for the "man who wants to clean up". Far too much gold and bling-bling, and then the appearance of a major speaker: Donald Trump.

He just can't let it go. In two years, he wants to win and lead the superpower USA again. He, who has always been more presidential actor than statesman. What a performance.

Trump, notorious liar, pursued by prosecutors and parliamentary investigations, who still claims they stole the 2020 election from him - now in a new role? No. Rather, he promises a return to what made him strong: Promises.

And what promises. A golden age of peace and prosperity. Everything even bigger, better and stronger. No inflation, no immigration, no drug deaths, no Ukraine war. Death penalty for drug dealers, no men in women's sports, energy-independent USA, limited terms for members of Congress, and a lifetime ban on working as lobbyists.

And remembering 2020: the president making elections safer with ID cards, paper ballots and the obligation to go vote on Election Day and count all the votes. His people like to hear it. But how many more are?

Trump touts a movement he created. Yes, years ago - now it's turning against him. He won because he divided America; now he has divided Republicans, and his candidates lost at the midterms.

But beware. Trump is not beaten yet. Not in his party, not by the Democrats. Because he can still do something that no one else has been able to do: give the impression that he is not one of the hated establishment, but one from outside. One whom the others only prosecute because he is the best, the smartest. And because he is the man who cleans up the mess.

Bernie Sanders, the nation's left-wing conscience from Vermont, put it this way: the idea of another Trump campaign full of lies and division is a "horror show." But for those who didn't want to see a Republican in the White House, the candidacy was a good thing, he said. Thinks he.

A good 74 million Americans thought otherwise before. That's how many voted for Donald Trump in 2020. More than ever were for Barack Obama. For them, Bernie Sanders is the horror, and trash is no disgrace. B-movies are not infrequently liked and seen by more people than sophisticated films with nuanced messages and finely drawn characters. The script for the next election is just being written.

--------------------
Old 11-16-22, 04:46 PM   #4535
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
(re Skybird)

I have no idea what Skybird means here, but i do not see the Trump (=republican as we see) approach to overthrow the constitution as a "protector for democracy" either.
Yes the try was amateurish and Trump did NOT walk with them as he promised, but he tried, in his own unmatched way of acting.
I do not see a clear cut between republicans and Trump.

edit: i wrote this before Skybird posted above answering Neal –

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 11-16-22 at 04:54 PM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-22, 04:53 PM   #4536
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
I have no idea what Skybird means here, but i do not see the Trump (=republican as we see) approach to overthrow the constitution as a "protector for democracy" either.
Yes the try was amateurish and Trump did NOT walk with them as he promised, but he tried, in his own unmatched way of acting.
I do not see a clear cut between republicans and Trump.

Again. I first thought that Trump candidating raises the Democrats' chances ot win the election if the Republican candidate is Trump. And I also think that Trump by his mere ways and style, his acting, his record of past deeds, his brutally egoist self-focussing by which he thinks all state and events are just happenign to accentuate him as the navel of the universe and are only existing to serve his personal interests, is damaging to democracy. I mean he belongs into a mental asylum, not into public office.

I am confused. How can it not be obvious what I meant with "good for the Democrats' (party), bad for democracy"...? Have you guys slept during the four Trump years, the legal persecution of Trump, and during midterm elections?
Old 11-16-22, 06:53 PM   #4537
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

Quote:
^
Good idea
But then your cat must have been born in the US (?)
Also what i take from the first sentence is that the first US president at least must have been a native american indian.
nope see what happens when you don't build a wall a bunch of undesired and riffraff moves in and settles
Old 11-16-22, 08:52 PM   #4538
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by les green01 View Post
nope see what happens when you don't build a wall a bunch of undesired and riffraff moves in and settles
Maybe the wall is to keep people in....

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-22, 11:59 PM   #4539
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
To become a President in USA you have to be born and have the American citizenship.

Markus

We're thinking of adding a line saying "You can't have ever been a bartender either.".
Old 11-17-22, 12:53 AM   #4540
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

There was some speculation that Donnie Boom Boom could run as a third party candidate if the GOP snubs him.

Take whatever margins DeSantis can get then subtract 20 to 30 points.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-22, 12:53 AM   #4541
Ostfriese
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I am confused. How can it not be obvious what I meant with "good for the Democrats' (party), bad for democracy"...?

They profit from it (or at least they think they will). If they profit from it, it's democratic.
Ostfriese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-22, 02:01 AM   #4542
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
We're thinking of adding a line saying "You can't have ever been a bartender either.".

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-22, 07:59 AM   #4543
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Republicans win the house with a thin majority.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-22, 09:11 AM   #4544
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
There was some speculation that Donnie Boom Boom could run as a third party candidate if the GOP snubs him.

Take whatever margins DeSantis can get then subtract 20 to 30 points.
What about a Trump/DeSantis ticket?
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-22, 09:43 AM   #4545
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
What about a Trump/DeSantis ticket?
That would depend. Who get's to be on top?
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote