SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-28-07, 12:26 PM   #241
robj250
Sea Lord

Location: Port Hardy, BC, Canada 75 yo with M.S. & C.O.P.D. & heart problems
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Jane
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyACE
More questions guys:

1. I've read how people stay out on patrol for 20+ days, some even at 65. How is that possible? I did my first patrol from Wilhelmshaven to an area near northern Scotland. I travelled there on Ahead Standard on the surface, setup a search pattern in the area and then tried returning to base but I ran out of fuel. It seems that I was only out in sea for 5 or 6 days max. I'm using a IIA sub by the way.

2. When you patrol your assigned area, is it really necessary to do the search patterns or can you just get to the area and just hold still for 24 hours? Basically not move anywhere unless you spot a contact?

3. When I look at my nav map I see blue, green and read contacts. Red are enemy and blue are friedly. Now the green I'm assuming are neutral, but can you or are you allowed to shoot at those?

4. I noticed before my first patrol that my sub was not fully staffed. Should I completely fill the boat's allowed crew capacity or not? Also, when I get medals or qualifications to give to the crew, which ones should I give and to whom?

I think there is a bug, which affects the game if any alterations are made to the boat or the crew before the very first patrol. I think the sinkings don't register, or renown isn't added for sinkings on that patrol. Some such thing. I always waited until the second patrol before making any alterations.
To DirtyAce

Re #3- If you sink a neutral, you LOSE Renown point.

Re #2- Yes, you can just sit still in your assigned grid for the 24 hours, then leave.

Re #4- When you began your career, you should have gone to the "file cabinet" and got the rest of your crew. With respect to medals and promotions when you arrive back at base after your patrol, click on the table sheet that has the list of your crew and you will see that some crew are "highlighted", these are the ones who qualify for promotions or medals. WHO? you have to choose.

Once you have selected your full crew for your boat, you then go out on patrol and Happy Hunting.
robj250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-07, 04:57 AM   #242
BulSoldier
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 40

I have a question.Though i play sh3 from some time i still dont undestand where those radio massages could be red. SO if anyone can tell me about those massages because when i order the radioman to tell me he says no radio massages recieved.

And something else, can anyone tell me how i can make the voice to be on german and when i order crash dive to hear da cry from the trailer ALAAARM!!!

(i play gwx and sh3commander)

By the hour !

Last edited by BulSoldier; 10-13-07 at 05:24 AM.
BulSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-07, 06:01 AM   #243
Lzs von swe
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 66

When you have received a radio message, hit the "m key" to read it.
You can have German voices and English text, I think the settings for this is under the sound option in the main menu of the game. It´s so long since I used the those parts of the menus that I don´t really remember how they look, but have a look and try it, the German voices are so much better then the English even if you don´t understand a word
Old 10-13-07, 10:49 AM   #244
Roghain
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Just one thing...

To all those who took the time and trouble of creatring these guides, tips or simply advice for us amateurs at the game:

Cheers. Your efforts are appreciated beyond just a post here.
Roghain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-07, 02:06 PM   #245
T.Von Hogan
Planesman

Downloads: 51
Default Newbie question

I downloaded this game about 3 years ago..... installed the 1.4 download earlier this year. Very nice addition to the game btw. Have taught myself many of the basics for surviving but have a question on the gwx mods. Do i download them all even being 1.4
Thanks in advance for answering my stupid question

Did enough reading while here to answer my own question thanks again for some very good work. Cya's somewhere in the atlantic

Last edited by T.Von Hogan; 10-17-07 at 03:26 PM.
T.Von Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-07, 05:20 PM   #246
Rudel-UIT
Bilge Rat

Great Post...Gonna get my boat outa drydock and start scoring some tonnage. Been awhile.

KptLt. Anthony "Rudel-UIT" C WPL 3738
U-552 "The Running Devil"
7.Unterseebootsflotille Wolfpack Skorpion Type VIIC
Rudel-UIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 09:01 PM   #247
sasquatch
Medic

very useful info. I'm on my first career and can use a lot of help...
sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-07, 09:10 AM   #248
Gunfighter
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 133
Default install SH3 on New Computer

Ok guys I know it has been asked before,When I tried to install SH3 on to a new computer I got the ERROR message from the protection System (B*&^* ^ $)
Anyway around this ?????
Old 12-05-07, 10:52 AM   #249
robj250
Sea Lord

Default Ruler on Nav Map

Hi all.

I have a stupid question.

On the ruler when you draw a line using it, there are numbers along the ruler. What are these numbers?

I have to travel 31.5 nm and then 11.4 nm.

How do I measure this on the Nav Map?

Rob

Last edited by robj250; 12-05-07 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-05-07, 11:38 AM   #250
sparkomatic
Seaman

Downloads: 5

wish I had seen this thread like 2 weeks ago...would have saved a lot of "search" button useage...no idea how I missed it
sparkomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 02:25 PM   #251
robj250
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj250
Hi all.

I have a stupid question.

On the ruler when you draw a line using it, there are numbers along the ruler. What are these numbers?

I have to travel 31.5 nm and then 11.4 nm.

How do I measure this on the Nav Map?

Rob
Yep. That was a stupid question. I test the ruler out on the nav map and the numbers represent kilometres.
Old 12-13-07, 02:42 PM   #252
robj250
Sea Lord

Default Sub skins

Another link you might put in is where to go to get sub or ship skins.

I have a problem. I have a movie "Atlantic Wolf" (cannot remember where I got it from) anyway, I would like to know the name of this skin and where I can get it.

Old 12-14-07, 04:02 AM   #253
Bridger
Mate

Downloads: 67
Default Crew management

Hi all, i am a newbie to this forum and ive gotta say its very impressive and helpful, i am a bit sad cos not only am i a submariner full time, i also am SH3 and ww2 submarine history addicted in my spare time, just donated and downloaded GWX 2.0 and what a mod!(well done team). I have a question concerning crew management, what is the most realistic crew configuration?, ive searched the web high and low for historical crew lists(watch and station bills etc) and is there a mod available to automatically change over watches without manually shifting crew on and off watch?(as in SH4), any advice on this subject would be much appreciated.
Bridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-07, 04:18 AM   #254
KeptinCranky
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3

Bridger, there is no automatic crew management mod, unfortunately.

As to skills, I've not done any research as such but the ratio officers/petty officers/sailors seems ok, the question is what skills to get for them...

personally I try to make sure I have at least these skills spread among my officers:

Watch officer: to put on the tower when surfaced
Repair: you need it, really
Engineer: need to get those diesels to maximum efficiency all the time
torpedoman: to oversee loading, makes it go faster too
and for early war
Gunner: for accuracy on the deckgun

Petty officers you only need two essentials:
Radioman: get 2 of these asap for hydrophone efficiency
Engineer: the diesels need him for efficiency

it's also nice to have at least two torpedomen for reload speed and a medic because he improves fatigue recovery.

If you use sh3 commander and use the "realistic crew" there will be at least one officer with no specific skill and one duplicate watchman, which is probably realistic but not very practical IMO
KeptinCranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-07, 05:00 AM   #255
Bridger
Mate

Downloads: 67

Many thanks Keptin,
I agree with your essentials, what i struggle with is organising the men into equal watches so i can rotate them, i believe historically the u boat arm worked a 3 watch system ie 4hrs on 8hrs off or something close to that and i find it difficult finding space for the off watch men in the quarters, im just being sad really as i like to get things as historically correct as possible.
Bridger is offline   Reply With Quote