SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-20-24, 09:36 PM   #1
Wolfar
Torpedoman

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
Default Ok I Gave Up.

I got 6 survivors rescued then spent 2 real life days looking for others.

Probably 5 hours a day.

30 survivor spots did not find ****.

Went to port ended mission much happier!

20 Year US Navy Retired

Former Squadron CO and founder:
1997~2003
JG2, JG26, Strike Masters
Simulations: Red Baron mega multiplayer, EAW, SDOE, Falcon 4, IL2 Forgotten Battles, MS Combat Flight Simulator 3, too many more to list.
Wolfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-24, 10:57 PM   #2
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

I bought this game at release.

I have played it (on and off) since then.

The hours I have spent in this game dwarf those that anyone I know have spent in other games.

If you have had one mission rescuing survivors, you've had as many as I have, and you rescued six more than I ever have.

Old 02-21-24, 10:25 AM   #3
Wolfar
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
I bought this game at release.

I have played it (on and off) since then.

The hours I have spent in this game dwarf those that anyone I know have spent in other games.

If you have had one mission rescuing survivors, you've had as many as I have, and you rescued six more than I ever have.

I dislike the lifeguard mission with a PASSION!

20 Year US Navy Retired

1997~2003
Simulations: Red Baron mega multiplayer, EAW, SDOE, Falcon 4, IL2 Forgotten Battles, MS Combat Flight Simulator 3, too many more to list.
Old 02-21-24, 11:25 AM   #4
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Not sure your mod set up and regardless I noticed at times doing lifeguard duty they'll float onto land as they do in the sea. Seems it's more just rescuing downed pilots without a mission, which if you use mods and hang around where planes attack enemy shipping, often you can pick up several downed pilots. Anyways, if you're not using a mod like TMO you need to go for it. Some say wait awhile cuz it's harder, but it fixes so much and gives you a much better game, including visual aspects. You got to learn the aspects of a mod anyway, so the soon the better.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-24, 04:23 PM   #5
Wolfar
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
Not sure your mod set up and regardless I noticed at times doing lifeguard duty they'll float onto land as they do in the sea. Seems it's more just rescuing downed pilots without a mission, which if you use mods and hang around where planes attack enemy shipping, often you can pick up several downed pilots. Anyways, if you're not using a mod like TMO you need to go for it. Some say wait awhile cuz it's harder, but it fixes so much and gives you a much better game, including visual aspects. You got to learn the aspects of a mod anyway, so the soon the better.
Not familiar with TMO.....

Looked it up makes everything more difficult.

I shall think on that one as I play to have fun @73% realism.

Thank you!

20 Year US Navy Retired

1997~2003
Old 02-21-24, 04:30 PM   #6
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
you make some good points: many of non-patrol missions in Stock 1.5 are not setup for success. Photo missions without targets to photo...lifeguard missions where survivors are not properly defined, for example.
mega-mods such as TMO (Ducimus) and FOTRSU have fixed those missions such that you have a chance at completing them successfully.

now...having said that, i would not take on either of those mods without first surviving a few careers with Stock or GFO because they require more experience and skill to survive and be successful than Stock/GFO. otherwise, a new player gets frustrated just trying to survive all of the aircraft or detection and assault from the lethal DE's.

...and i would not move to the advanced mods just for photo or lifeguard missions, either.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 02-21-24 at 10:29 PM.
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-24, 05:33 PM   #7
Wolfar
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
you make some good points: many of non-patrol missions in Stock 1.5 are not setup for success. Photo missions without targets to photo...lifeguard missions where survivors are not properly defined, for example.
mega-mods such as TMO (Ducimus) and FOTRSU have fixed those missions such that you have a chance at completing them successfully.

now...have said that, i would not take on either of those mods without first surviving a few careers with Stock or GFO because they require more experience and skill to survive and be successful than Stock/GFO. otherwise, a new player get frustrated just trying to survive all of the aircraft or detection and assault from the lethal DE's.

...and i would not move to the advanced mods just for photo or lifeguard missions, either.

Agreed!

I used to play the heck out of the Silent Hunter Series.

I have been out of it though a LONG time!

Favorite was Silent Hunter Commanders Edition Win 95!

Got to get a few careers under me belt to get caught back up!

20 Year US Navy Retired

1997~2003
Old 02-22-24, 03:37 AM   #8
Rashadli
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Otherwise, a novice player would quickly get irritated attempting to evade the many planes, as well as the detection and attacks from the deadly DEs.
Old 02-22-24, 09:37 AM   #9
Wolfar
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashadli View Post
Otherwise, a novice player would quickly get irritated attempting to evade the many planes, as well as the detection and attacks from the deadly DEs.
The planes are irritating.

But if you go SW of Guadalcanal to wide open Ocean almost you run into TONS of downed pilot markers and NO PLANES!

20 Year US Navy Retired

1997~2003
Old 02-22-24, 10:37 AM   #10
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The Stock game sends out too many planes. Refer to Webster's Webster's Better Air Patrols for a quick and easy way to alter the Stock game. Just remember that those pilots that show as downed do "drift", and that the reports of their locations might be very old. Also, you do not get credit for any rescued pilots that are picked-up outside the designated zone. You can still pick them up, but you only get the points for the actual Survivor renown (150) and not for an Objective completion.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-24, 04:19 PM   #11
Wolfar
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The Stock game sends out too many planes. Refer to Webster's Webster's Better Air Patrols for a quick and easy way to alter the Stock game. Just remember that those pilots that show as downed do "drift", and that the reports of their locations might be very old. Also, you do not get credit for any rescued pilots that are picked-up outside the designated zone. You can still pick them up, but you only get the points for the actual Survivor renown (150) and not for an Objective completion.
So your saying with in 50NM of the star only counts!

More reasons to hate lifeguard duty!

20 Year US Navy Retired

1997~2003
Old 02-22-24, 08:24 PM   #12
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfar View Post
Not familiar with TMO.....

Looked it up makes everything more difficult.

I shall think on that one as I play to have fun @73% realism.

Thank you!

It's like most things, once you learn how the values function you can pretty much win the sea. Course I haven't played in years, but even with TMO you can rack up 100K tons per patrol. When you do you'll find it a much better experience and a new game and you'll have to relearn how to play than what worked in stock, plus the visuals are so much better, less bugs, etc. If you add RSRD to it makes it a tad easier.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote