SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-08-22, 09:46 PM   #1
MechanicalNecro
Nub

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0
Default Bought SHIII on steam

Unable to save progress. Every time I start it up it keeps saying it was unable to sync to the cloud. Proceeded to backup the SH3 folder to One Drive, made sure cloud sync was on in Steam, and went through every config file trying to find anything relating to saves and/or sync. I'm unable to make a profile, it just says "Player", as well.

The only mod I've got is the resolution mod. Could that be causing an issue? I don't see why it would, but I suppose anything is possible.

Is this another instance of a borked classic game on steam?
MechanicalNecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-22, 08:00 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Well, the Steam SH3 does work, but you have to remember that it was written for Windows XP and uses DirectX v9.0c Libraries. As such, it has no idea what One Drive or any other "sync" thingie is. The main problem with older games like SH3 is that they should not be installed in a Windows "protected" folder, such as Program Files, which is where Steam defaults to in its install, with the SH3 game being installed below that in a "common" folder. Any attempt to activate a mod, or do any editing of certain files yourself in the folder will result in Windows rolling the edits back to the original config, just like if you had done a Steam "Verify". If you have to move the game, refer to Moving a Steam Installation and Games in the Steam Knowledge Base. A 2nd viable hard drive for another Steam Library folder is the easiest way, but it is possible to manually move things, or just re-install. The game uses a "save" folder in your Users \UserName \Documents folder named "SH3", and that should be picked-up by any OneDrive back-ups you have set-up. It just will not do like SH5 does with an online sync. As for the Steam sync, I have not tried to use that with my old games, but it might be like trying to polish a turd, or put lipstick on a pig - not to demean turds and pigs...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-22, 08:22 AM   #3
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

MechanicalNecro you have a PM this should get you squared away Sir
blackswan40 is offline   Reply With Quote