SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-22-05, 06:00 PM   #1
MultiDoc
Swabbie

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0
Default "Re-born" SH2 player with a couple of problems...

Hello everyone,

I recently started to play again SH2 after a couple of years of absence (bought SH3 already but I'm waiting to upgrade my CPU before installing it ). Anyway, I already donated here to the wonderful effort of the subsim.com gentlemen and downloaded the Hi-Res update and the Pacific Aces add-on.

Unfortunately though, I have encoutered a very annoying and weird problem so far. I' have done a clean install, patched to v1.1, installed the Hi-Res and it's patch and also the soundfx mod. I'm currently playing the original campaign (planing to go for Pacific Aces after I've done that) and I'm in mission 5 "sub-hunt" I believe is it's name. I've fulfilled every objective except for the last one---> "return to base", and while I'm on my way back to home port, all of the sudden when the friendly convoy arrives at it's destination, the game shuts down by itself and I'm back on my desktop . I've reloaded and restarted the mission from scratch numerous times and every time I get the same....

So my question, anyone have any idea what that might be the problem ? Or if there's a known bug, can I go round it and proceed to the next campaign mission without loosing the tonnage ? Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks in advance and hope to hear from you skippers soon.

Regards,

N.
MultiDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-05, 09:06 AM   #2
MadMike
Watch Officer

Downloads: 232

Multidoc,
I was having problems with SH2 running on another system, that problem was fixed by tweaking the configuration file.
After I installed PA, my computer would dump. I removed some unnecessary files (about 80 megs) from the PA files and the game now runs great. Unfortunately, I didn't write down what I deleted (wav's, logs, units not used in the game, etc).

Yours, Mike
MadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-05, 09:36 PM   #3
CB..
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

i'm very very rusty on this BUT you should be able to open the mission file in note pad or word pad and delet the return to base objective for this mission meaning you can end the patrol succesfully before the convoy gets home-avoiding the crash--

the mission file will be in campaign files---with an appropiate name tag

they'll be a section in plain language called OBJECTIVES---just delete the return to base one and save

http://www.ebort2.co.uk/

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B.Yeats
CB.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-05, 02:37 PM   #4
MultiDoc
Swabbie

Thanks a lot gets for your help. I really appreciate it. Well I've actually succeded in returning to base without the game crashing , but don't have a clue why it happened... , didn't change anything, it just didn't crash.. hmmmm. Anyway.

As Mike suggested, I tried to locate the mission file and edit it because I now have the smae problem (mission crashing in the middle of playing it...) and this time it "Fortress Europe", which if I recall correct it must be the one before the last one which kinda aggravates me...

So please if you guys can suggest something in order to proceed I'd be gratefull once more (btw, editing the mission file isn't an option cause I've opened it with notepad but no luck whatsoever, it's almost unreadable...)

Waiting in agony,

Regards,

Nikos

P.S: I've found and downloaded the moded missiuon file for this mission cause it seems that a lot of guys had this problem in the past (mission crashing randomly) with this particular mission, but it still crashes .... Good news is I got my new CPU upgrade and I'll be installing SH III soon I'll buzz you all with questions on that then
Old 12-13-05, 02:03 PM   #5
Crash Dive
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 9

Somebody had an updated version of the mission that didn't crash out. But I don't remeber where to get it from. But if you do play it watch out for airplane attacks. Their radar CAN detect your snorkel.
Old 12-13-05, 02:46 PM   #6
MultiDoc
Swabbie

Thanks Crash Dive, I've noticed (the hard way... ) about their radar's ability... just a few miles out the post and I'm repairing damage already...

On the other subject, please try to locate that "non crashing" mission file for me, pleeeaaaaaaseeee. I'll be greatfull and in debt to you.

Thanks in advance for your time and help. I'll give it a try again later on today and try to sneak pass the destroyer's at Port Calais tonight (if it doesn't crash again...) and report back.

Cheers,

Nikos
Old 12-14-05, 07:36 AM   #7
MadMike
Watch Officer

Downloads: 232

One thing that really annoys me in PA and SH2 are aircraft bombs being dropped a quarter mile away from a Sunderland or Betty. Seems like I fixed the problem by modifying the sim/unit file by adding the following under [Lookout] and [Sonar]

CrewRating= .90

If anyone has input on speeding up torpedo reload times, please let me know.

Yours, Mike
MadMike is offline   Reply With Quote