Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-21-07, 05:54 PM   #1
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 0
Default 1914 Shells of Fury available outside Germany in August

Strategy First have announced that an English version of the German game "1914 Shells of Fury" will be published by them as a boxed / download version in August.
Sonarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 06:15 PM   #2
Reaves
The Old Man

Downloads: 4

Hmm WW1 submarines. I'm not expecting it to be as good as SH3/SH4 but i'll certainly give it a go.

More competition in the sub genre is always a good thing.
Old 06-21-07, 07:37 PM   #3
hellas1
Bosun

Downloads: 0
Default How good is this WWI subsim? Opinions?

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to know what the community thinks about this subsim.

Comments please.

hellas1-WWI subsim, finally!
hellas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 08:09 PM   #4
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

IIRC, our German members said that it wasn't the best ever, but far from the worst. It is linked single campaign missions (not dynamic).

PD
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 10:19 PM   #5
bookworm_020
Navy Seal

Downloads: 1

If it is priced Ok, I'll give it a go! It will be a change from WW2. I'm still waiting for a British sub subsim, WW1 or WW2 would be nice!
bookworm_020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 11:58 PM   #6
FAdmiral
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 6

It looks to me like for about $20.00, you get 5 year old graphics.
Just how it plays out, well, we'll know next month I guess....

JIM

www.fairtax.org
FAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-07, 05:24 AM   #7
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544

I have the game, bought it from Germany last November. If you liked SH2, you may like Shells of Fury as well, though it's inferior to it. By today's standards, it's dated, ugly and terribly boring. Missions are repetitive, AI is obviously scripted, ships behave the same every time you load the same mission, its a play-once-and-you're-done-with-it game.
And if you have a radeon card of the 1xxx generation, it won't load. Period. Check here for the explanation:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=102034

I paid some 27 euros for it and it certainly wasn't worth the sum. Maybe some 10-15 euros, perhaps.
Graphics are plain ugly and nobody gave a thought at optimising them, 'cause the game performs poorer than SH3 on my NVidia 7900GS, while looking terribly old.
There's only a few missions in it, no replay value, ugly graphics - this is my brief, first-hand, overview about it.
Anyone interested can find other accounts about it here, on subsim, by searching some older posts.
dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 06:13 PM   #8
AS
中国水兵

Downloads: 135

I second that. Bought the game some months ago out of curiosity, played it for about 1 hour and de-installed it. Donīt buy it, itīs absolutely outdated and totally boring. Even if you are very enthusiastic about subsims (like me), itīs not worth any money. My two cents (that I wouldnīt spent on Shells of Fury...) AS
Old 07-02-07, 06:31 PM   #9
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb
If you liked SH2, you may like Shells of Fury as well, though it's inferior to it. By today's standards, it's dated, ugly and terribly boring.
Not exactly 2 thumbs up, and I was thinking about buying .

RDP

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-08, 09:33 PM   #10
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

I don't care. I gotta have it to add to my collection.

It's an addiction I tell you. AN ADDICTION ! ! !

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-08, 06:58 PM   #11
Deamon
Commodore

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AS
I second that. Bought the game some months ago out of curiosity, played it for about 1 hour and de-installed it. Donīt buy it, itīs absolutely outdated and totally boring. Even if you are very enthusiastic about subsims (like me), itīs not worth any money. My two cents (that I wouldnīt spent on Shells of Fury...) AS
It's your choice of course and that was pretty much my own impression as I tryed it the very first time, but for the defence of SOF I must say that you need a closer look before you can appreciate its benefits. You also have to get used to the old look of it before you will start to see its benefits. The first impression is fairly horrobly imo, old grafics and a boiling sea, often a stuttering view when you pan around. But when you give it a chance you can get used to it quick and when you do the missions you will start to discover its benefits. It's like horsa said this game moves in strange patterns. Sometimes I found it extremely boring and sometimes I found it extremely exciting and even addicting. I think a real subsim enthusiast will appreciate any fresh new wind and SOF is certainly a fresh new wind. But you will not neccesarily see this when you play it for only 1 hour. It is not inferiour to SHII in any regards it actually has it's strong points that are even better than SHII and not to mention the modability. The ship models are much more detailed, shelling makes to me more fun than in SHII or even SHIII, to some odd reason. It's hard to put a final verdict on it, cause it moves in strange patterns. I think it will depend much on the player himself how much he will like it.

You can dislike it because of it's flaws and it is full of it, or you can love it for it's benefits of which it also contains quite a lot. Moders might significantly improve the situation. I think SOF is the type of game that will polarise the community. You love it or hate it. Personally this swinging between totally boring and extremely exciting was what droves me nuts. You can see everywhere that the ambitons behind the game were MUCH higher but it seem to got axed just everywhere. The axe is hanging above you all the time. The game seem to fall often out if its own context simple because it got not finished and you seem to step in blank areas of the game context often. At least that is my impression after not quite a dozen missions. It will surely get more exiting when your have the patience to play deep into the war, cause it takes you all around the theatres and provides 4 different boats. There should be plenty of distraction from its flaws. Even more so if you use the mods. It's hard to give such advices like buy it or don't buy it. It is better when everybody would judge for himself. Read the reviews here, read horsas review and if you find some reviews appealing to you then go and get it.

And there is a part of this game comming our way. I guess it will be about surface ships.

Quote:
AI is obviously scripted
This is one of its benefits actually, because the scripts are accessebly and you can make your own. They are randomizable, this all means the behavior of the ships can be adjusted to the different phases of the war. And I think there are mods already around.

Quote:
And if you have a radeon card of the 1xxx generation, it won't load. Period. Check here for the explanation:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=102034
Haven't a work around for it floated up somewhere here, IIRC ?

Quote:
Graphics are plain ugly and nobody gave a thought at optimising them, 'cause the game performs poorer than SH3 on my NVidia 7900GS, while looking terribly old.
Runs smooth on my 6600GS. Although before that I experienced horrible lags sometimes but the last missions I player were all smooth. I think it can also have something to do with the settings of the game. There is plenty of infromation on the other threads here.

Quote:
There's only a few missions in it
Only a few ? you must have missed something. I think there are more than 50 missions.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-08, 06:42 AM   #12
Shaffer4
Ensign

Downloads: 3

I saw this game sitting on the Shelf at a Gamestop in Pendleton, OR last week.
Old 02-11-08, 10:26 AM   #13
AkbarGulag
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 1

Was just discussing buying this with a friend, even poor reviews were not going to put me off. I play the game 'Making History' greatest turn based game since 'Medieval Total War' (the first one ).

One problem, I have a radeon 9800XT.

Ahh well, another game instead maybe. Glad subsim is here to let me use my money with results

...It was at this point, Captain AkbarGulag realised how green his crew was..."
AkbarGulag is offline   Reply With Quote