SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-10-17, 03:44 PM   #1
Haukka81
Medic

Downloads: 368
Uploads: 0
Default TO dev team

What i can say, im so HAPPY to get finally new COLD WAR subsim!!

And its made game (immerison,fun) first!

So far so fun, runing latest beta build.

My ONLY WISH , please make Crew sounds ! Would really make even more immersive.

Im sure that subsim users will help to record sounds
Haukka81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-17, 12:57 AM   #2
midnight.mangler
Watch

Downloads: 25

Agree wholeheartedly with the first poster. Love the game - it's exactly what I hoped it would be.

Voices, however, are a must for situational awareness. I am ashamed to say I have hit the seabed three times during some wild evasive maneuvers, where I simply don't read the warning re the sea bed. Some sub captain I am! But with a crew who never speak up under fire, who can be blamed? ;-)

In term of "new features" voices would be top of my list. But it's a great game - consider me signed up for paid DLC. We NEED a soviet campaign. And a Seawolf as somebody else hinted would be nice. In the longer term might even be nice to command a surface ship with a helo for sub hunting.... Just a thought. Please don't move on from the US / USSR Cold War yet - there is still much more to be done in this neglected period. In sum the message is - you are making games I like. I will keep buying them as long as you keep making them.

Last edited by midnight.mangler; 06-11-17 at 01:09 AM.
midnight.mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-17, 02:59 AM   #3
Killerfish Games
Cold Waters Developer

Downloads: 0

We agree and voices will be getting added.
Old 06-11-17, 04:55 AM   #4
Haukka81
Medic

Really nice to hear that !

Make subsims great again

And i too agree, stay in cold war for now. Lots of cool stuff and systems are not "too good" no god eye sensors etc.. Really makes fun gameplay.
Old 06-11-17, 11:02 AM   #5
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukka81 View Post
Really nice to hear that !

Make subsims great again

And i too agree, stay in cold war for now. Lots of cool stuff and systems are not "too good" no god eye sensors etc.. Really makes fun gameplay.
I'm loving the cold war too, but there's no denying the flexibility of what has been created here. From modern day (I mean maybe some sensors like WAA and newer weapons systems may be difficult to replicate but its not going to be inconceivable to see the likes of the Virginia and Seawolf classes in this game, ditto with an Akula or even the new Severodvinsk) as far back as the early cold-war (Cuban Missile Crisis anyone?) with even WW2 not that far-fetched in terms of what this game is capable of. Very content with what's been done so far though, and I agree that probably a Soviet Campaign would be the next logical step.

Also, the more I play this game, the more I understand and begin to appreciate some of the choices made by the devs. There is no-auto waypoint system because you have to drive the sub yourself. While this may seem tedious, other games that had much more "automatic" controls gave you a myriad of other things to do (the sophisticated sonar simulation in SC/DW, or one of the many station or map screens in the Silent Hunter series) while the AI was driving the boat for you. All that being said, I think this game carves out a very nice niche for itself, I'm sure I can't speak for everyone but I'm inclined to believe that its realistic ENOUGH so that the majority of the sim folks won't miss it, yet the learning curve isn't too steep as to turn people off (i.e. spending 3+ hours learning sonar and TMA in SC/DW) so it appeals to a wider audience. It does all this without getting into "arcade" territory (i.e. featuring history or historical platforms as a back-drop just to get you interested with little/no correlation in realism or capabilities).

I was quite looking forward to this but so far it has surpassed all expectations and given me the cold war sub game I've been waiting for for years!
Old 06-11-17, 12:05 PM   #6
Haukka81
Medic

Realism / gameplay balance is spot on.