SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-07-10, 04:58 AM   #391
Decoman
Frogman

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

When looking through the binuculars and aiming the crosshair at a ship, and pressing spacebar, the gun crew will open fire (assuming they are ready at the gun).

But how can one stop the crew from continuing firing? Such an option seem to be missing.
Decoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 05:00 AM   #392
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Dunno if it's bug or (unrealistic) feature, but the same weird hydrophone behavior of SH4 made it into SH5:
Ships can only be heard if they go faster than 6 knots. Anything slower, and they are completely silent, they cannot be heard and the soundman does not report them.
I don't know if it's quite that simple. I ran into a convoy that was travelling at 5kts and I could hear MOST of them on hydrophone, but not all.

After totally botching the attack against them I slowly moved out the back of the convoy and basically just waited for them to leave. After a while I hit my external camera and there was a destroyer inching it's way RIGHT to me! Good thing I was at 20m because he sailed directly over me. He was moving really slowly and apparently couldn't hear me since he didn't attack, but my hydrophone guy didn't report him at all and he wasn't on the map. Very odd.

Also, why do things move at 5kts and 11kts in SH5 when the TDC auto numbers and SH3's speeds were like 6 and 9 and 12?

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 05:02 AM   #393
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoman View Post
When looking through the binuculars and aiming the crosshair at a ship, and pressing spacebar, the gun crew will open fire (assuming they are ready at the gun).

But how can one stop the crew from continuing firing? Such an option seem to be missing.
They'll fire even if they AREN'T on the gun. I've defaulted to doing that now, just throw up the binocs and let the shells fly! However, as you've pointed out... you can't get them to stop! I just hit F5 twice (to cycle them, well, their icon at least) or run up there and take over. heh

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 05:10 AM   #394
csengoi
A-ganger

Downloads: 12

After about 30 minutes of playing my PC simply turns off without any notice. Only SH5 makes this happen. It drives me crazy!!!!
csengoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 05:16 AM   #395
q800
Swabbie

Downloads: 67

Minor, but annoying and bugs:

-Clock doesn't work - mmmm'kay
-Fire from destroyed ships doesn't reflect in the water.

One question: Does crew on the bridge wear raincoats when it's raining? Haven't noticed that yet...
q800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 05:53 AM   #396
bart
Frogman

Downloads: 245

I've got major graphics card issues, my card won't support anything above shader 2.0, game required shader 3.0 or above. I've tried running it anyway but the screen is all screwed up, but you can just about make out the sub interior and there seems to be no mouse lag etc. so I'm just gonna go for a card change.

My system is a dell XPS, ASUS m/b 3.4Ghz, 4mb DDR ram, and an ATI X800XT 256MB card. The system is around 6 years old but I've never experienced any probs with other game up till now. It ran SH3 and SH4 no worries.

Have you guy's got any recommendations as to graphics cards? My m/b as far as i know does support PCI Ex x16 or what ever you call it....lol.
Old 03-07-10, 06:51 AM   #397
E.Dahlbeck
Swabbie

Downloads: 2

Sorry for messing this up. I meant that I pressed "A", the strafing movement command (I'm in Sweden on a QWERTY).

Of course I know that the proper way to exit the nav-map is to press esc or click the X-button in the top right corner, but sometimes I out of habit try to use WASD to scroll (courtesy of Empire: Total War maybe...).
E.Dahlbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 07:19 AM   #398
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544

Quote:
Originally Posted by q800 View Post
One question: Does crew on the bridge wear raincoats when it's raining? Haven't noticed that yet...
Nope, not on my boat, at least. By mid-January, in the Atlantic, my watch crew is wearing shorts and shirt. Real heroes of the Vaterland, strong as steel

On a more serious note, yes, you're right, they do not sense the weather changes, like they did in SH4.
dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 08:37 AM   #399
bert8for3
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 110

Latitude and longitude reports in dialog box are reversed: reports as long/lat; should be lat/long.
Old 03-07-10, 08:55 AM   #400
hachiman
Planesman

Downloads: 33

I notice the 2nd watch officer has a rank of Kapitan Zur See.
Thats pretty much the rank before Kommodore and the Admiralty and he outranks me by several ranks!!

Just a Leutnant Zur See will be fine!!
Old 03-07-10, 08:56 AM   #401
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert8for3 View Post
Latitude and longitude reports in dialog box are reversed: reports as long/lat; should be lat/long.
Should be the freakin KM grid reference

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 09:24 AM   #402
silversurfer
Seaman

Downloads: 70

From reading the posts in this section I would have to say that SH5 has been released in a very poor state. You have to ask what quality control and what testing was used or did it just get to stage where Ubisoft said.."sod it- release it and we'll take the flak and we'll get the community/modders to finish it off for us, it'll be cheaper" I wonder if it bothers Ubisoft that they have a reputation for very sub- pardon the pun- standard games and are they embrassed at all. If my company released a product in this state I'd be going out of business very quickly.
I know the Devs work to a time scale but there is such a thing as pride in your work.
silversurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 09:28 AM   #403
von_Trepka
Swabbie

Downloads: 38

Is it just me, or is the sea bottom pretty much fu***d up as well? I get told thatI have a good 13 meters under keel, and the free-view-camera tells me the same. But inside the boat, its another story, crashing sounds. desperate calls for medic and so forth.

in my honest opinion, this game barely classifies as a beta! Wich is very sad when the developer said he didnt want to release a unfinished product.... FAIL!
von_Trepka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 09:40 AM   #404
Zoomer96
Helmsman

Downloads: 109

Seems to me that the picture actually has a flag pole mounted on the pier. Why would you want something in front of the net cutter for? Also seems to me that the net cutter would be weakened by running a jack staff through it. Or else the picture was edited during the war or something.
Zoomer96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 09:59 AM   #405
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172

I LOVE the new Silent Hunter 5 game ,and I agree with the new interface without the three ARCADE silly Dials on the lower right corner , there are a few mistakes , one of them are the white light bulbs ,I think need to be replaced with red colour bulbs