SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-11-17, 02:49 PM   #1
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0
Default Prevent Windows 10 from automatically rebooting for updates

With Windows 10 Microsoft decided it had to redefine the meaning of 'dominating the pc market'. It felt IT was the authority on when or whether your system has to reboot to apply updates. Sorry, my system, my call! Go away and pester Bill Gates or Balmer with this.

Here is a few simple steps to prevent this from occuring. You must do this while logged in as an administrator account. Doing this as normal user and elevating to administrator mode didn't work for me.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-p...alling-updates

Why I needed this? Here is the story.

Last week, after a loooong long time procrastinating I resurrected an old Silent Hunter 3 game install on my current laptop running Windows 10. This game was installed initially on Windows 7 three and a half years ago. I kept it as a backup all those years because it had a patrol going on with a large convoy in the vicinity. I didn't want to scrub it. Even despite migrating OS-ses via Windows 8, 8.1 to the various versions of Windows 10 over the years all the files and folders for it still survived unscathed. I was able to get it running again without any hassle (JSGME mods and SH3 Commander worked as wel un changed). It has been running stable and reliable for days and nights! Alt-tabbed in the background as I didn't want to save the game or move far away from the convoy so it deagregates (because of notorious save-game bugs). But just now, those Microsh.ts pulled the rug underneath from it. Watching tv I noticed in my peripheral vision that Windows rebooted for updates. No doubt just killing the game. That was it! No more mister nice guy. I rule my PC
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote