SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: Should I review the RA mod on Youtube?
Yes 19 90.48%
No 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-15, 07:39 AM   #1
freijon
Swabbie

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0
Default Should I review the RA mod on Youtube?

Hi guys,

I'm new here in this forum but not really new to the game. I was thinking a lot if I should install the Reinforce Alert mod. I heard a lot of good things but also some negative comments. The way I usually make these kinds of decision: I search on youtube to see what I'm going to expect. Unfortunately there were not a lot of vids. Found some of FPSchazly covering LWAMI (btw. I love your vids!), but not much covering RA. I then installed the mod and played a bit with it.
So I thought I could do some vids myself, covering (at least) all controllable platforms and explaining the differences I notice from the vanilla DW version.
However, it's quite some effort and I've never recorded gameplay vids before. I'm a bit hesitant because I'm not the most talkative guy and I'm aware that gameplay vids with a silent person are boring. The other reason is that my mother tongue is German but I'd try to do it in English.

So my question:
Would you guys even appreciate vids like this or does anyone know about RA and there is no need at all?

Regards,
freijon
freijon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-15, 08:22 AM   #2
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Would be nice, but that would probably need a MP session.
Old 12-28-15, 09:15 AM   #3
freijon
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
Would be nice, but that would probably need a MP session.
some of the changes would be shown best in a MP session, I agree. Like the "silent mode" of the Red October Typhoon.
Old 12-28-15, 09:25 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard !

freijon

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-15, 10:01 AM   #5
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

The problem I think is setting the MP up, there is some dark ritual you have to perform.

But if you get it done, I can offer an over agressive RuN nuke driver
Old 12-28-15, 10:08 AM   #6
freijon
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
The problem I think is setting the MP up, there is some dark ritual you have to perform.

But if you get it done, I can offer an over agressive RuN nuke driver
Setting up the MP session wouldn't be an issue I think, I've played online with a friend several times (I can't host myself, just join, but that's because I'm using Linux). I just need an IP and then I'm ready to go. Anyway, I think first I would do some offline recordings with the AI to show the different/new stations, textures and weapons. I thought I'd do a quick-mission with all controllable platforms. But only if enough people think it's worth the effort...
Old 12-28-15, 10:28 AM   #7
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36

Hi freijon,

just do it, as you say there are not much RA videos out there. Maybe you can play different missions with the various platforms. And SP is just fine...most people play it that way...- I guess

I'm currently creating a cold war mission for the RA-mod but it will take a while.
Hawk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-15, 11:11 AM   #8
Mike Abberton
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 42

I think one of the shortcomings of the RA mod right now is that there are very few scenarios that showcase all the new platforms (especially the 60's-80's platforms). So for most, you are limited to quick missions or multiplayer.

Even for the original platforms, some of the changes in the mods (this includes LWAMI) kind of break the scenarios written for stock DW.
Mike Abberton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-15, 12:13 PM   #9
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim freijon

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-15, 12:26 PM   #10
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36

@Mike, there are a couple of standard scenarios, which are converted for the RA mod. Even the great RedStormRising campaign is available, you just have to copy the content of the RSR_RA_Campaign folder into the scenario folder. So, in my opinion there is enough content to do a lp series about the mod.

Also when you look at some comments/review @ steam you have the impression that a lot of people do not know that with the RA mod it is not a problem to run the sim on Win8/Win10. So a little promoting it via some yt videos would maybe help here to spread this info.

I have currently limited time but I'm starting to create a bit of a dynamic scenario in which you're playing a West German platform in the 80's...
Hawk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-15, 04:30 PM   #11
Mike Abberton
Electrician's Mate

A Red Storm Rising run through would be good.

For the lack of scenarios, I was thinking specifically a lack of scenarios for the new playable platforms. There are a ton available, but you're mostly limited to quick missions for those. That being said, I still love the RA mod (and LWAMI).

Mike
Old 12-28-15, 08:54 PM   #12
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

I'm glad to hear you like my videos!

I would totally appreciate vids like this! I've been waiting since just about when I started for someone else to do voice-over commentary for Dangerous Waters videos. I think it will ultimately result in better videos for the community.

You should definitely do the RSR RA campaign, that would be sweet. I would recommend doing several practice missions first so that you can get comfortable with commentary. It takes a while to get pretty good at it and you only get better by practicing.

When I first saw 'review video', I'm thinking of like a video game review video, as in a summary video with lots of different cuts and a commentary track that's put over an edited highlights video. That would be a lot of work. I've never undertaken something quite like that, but similar, and it takes a lot of time to get all the footage you need and piece it together. That's not to say it can't be done, but you should also get a good bit of editing experience under your belt first. I'm going to give the same recommendation for practicing with some practice missions for both commentary and editing.

Let me know if there's more you want to know about this. I do minimal editing to my naval videos because I want people to see my thought process but there's still a lot going on behind the scenes to get my videos uploaded and published to YouTube.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-15, 04:47 AM   #13
freijon
Swabbie

Okay, RSR RA Campaign it'll be then. However, the campaign uses the same controllable platforms as the original campaign. There won't be much differences in terms of new stations, weapons, etc. I'll cover the other platforms with missions that come with the RA mod or do quick-missions.
Yeah I guess the title is a bit misleading. I'm not going to review RA but rather show the differences to the stock version. But with a personal opinion.
Old 12-30-15, 11:35 AM   #14
Mike Abberton
Electrician's Mate

Do anyone know if any of the Red Storm Rising missions have been re-written anywhere to make use of the non-playable platforms additions to RA?

It would be nice to see more Foxtrots, Tangos, etc. in the missions like in the Book, rather than all Victors and Akulas.
Old 12-30-15, 11:47 AM   #15
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by freijon View Post
Okay, RSR RA Campaign it'll be then. However, the campaign uses the same controllable platforms as the original campaign. There won't be much differences in terms of new stations, weapons, etc. I'll cover the other platforms with missions that come with the RA mod or do quick-missions.
Yeah I guess the title is a bit misleading. I'm not going to review RA but rather show the differences to the stock version. But with a personal opinion.
That's true, it does use the same platforms. I don't know if you saw my RSR playthrough, but I had trouble enough with the stock game. From everything I've heard, RA is a lot more difficult, so it's probably going to be a very tough playthrough haha.

I actually am planning on starting up some RA videos soon. I'll probably just do plain RA at first and then I might mix it with LWAMI, I think I've seen somewhere that it's possible to do that.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested in learning my video-creating workflow. If others are interested in the video-creating workflow, I could add that to my already backlogged tutorial queue haha

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dwx, review, youtube