SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-14-22, 06:22 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Das Boot (Directors Cuts)

Looking to relax after a wonderful French meal for Bastille Day, decided to commit to the 3 plus hours of Das Boot (Directors Cut) lol . I love the length of the film because you can't really tell the story of a submarine patrol in WW II in typical run length.

What is your favorite version of this classic?

Thoughts on the film overall?

Something I've never understand and wondering if I just imagined this or it was in one of the multiple versions of the film. Did Thomsen die? I recall a scene where were trying to reach him on radio and did not answer. I take this as loss of his boat and his death are implied?
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-22, 06:44 PM   #2
ImBatman
Sailor man

Downloads: 70
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Looking to relax after a wonderful French meal for Bastille Day, decided to commit to the 3 plus hours of Das Boot (Directors Cut) lol . I love the length of the film because you can't really tell the story of a submarine patrol in WW II in typical run length.

What is your favorite version of this classic?

Thoughts on the film overall?

Something I've never understand and wondering if I just imagined this or it was in one of the multiple versions of the film. Did Thomsen die? I recall a scene where were trying to reach him on radio and did not answer. I take this as loss of his boat and his death are implied?
I got ahold of the director's cut on bluray after watching it on vhs. It is amazing how well they cleaned it up for bluray. It looks as though it was shot within the last few years, rather than 4 decades ago.

I also liked the bluray better than vhs because of the ability to select the original german language with english subtitles. I found the english dubbing on vhs difficult to understand at times.

I like it enough that at some point, i will try to find it in it's original miniseries form.
ImBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-22, 04:41 AM   #3
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

The directors cut have better sound affects that I kind of like, but normally I always see the uncut version, 6 hours. I like it better do to the narration of Lt. Werner character and a few scenes that are not in the directors cut.
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-22, 10:33 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Great minds think alike! My wonderful wife made Chicken Marengo for Bastille day. I'm watching Indiana Jones: Raiders of the lost Ark this AM and realized the exterior model U-boat (U- 26)and the sub pen scene (both flicks actually shot at La Rochelle at the same time) were also used in Das Boot! (U- 96) ie: all the propman had to do was repaint one digit!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-22, 11:02 AM   #5
Andreas86
Engineer

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 1

I first saw the movie on VHS in 1992, in it's shortest form, 2h 28min. German language, and I've never seen the english dub. At the time I never knew there was a miniseries version. Loved the movie and must have seen that version dozens of times. In the mid 90s I got the original 1981 soundtrack on CD. Then in 1998 we found the Director's cut on VHS, 3h 36min. Loved that version too, was thrilled to have even more footage. Bought the DC on DVD couple years later and must have watched that version countless times. The Director's Cut is the best of the movie versions. I also bought the Director's Cut "remastered" soundtrack CD. Here I was disappointed. The sound quality on this "upgraded" release is not only overly compressed but also muddled and dull. This is in sharp contrast to the original 80s release which is not only crystal clear mixed, but also has great dynamics and mastering. Sadly this was typical of 90s "remasters". Early 2000s I got the miniseries on import DVD, and now I have the blu-ray version of the same. And it is THE definitive version of Das Boot. It is hard now to go back and lose all the small touches, the narration, the deeper character descriptions, the important incidents not in the movie versions, etc. And as has been said by others, the quality is outstanding, like it was recently shot. If you're a submarine fan and history enthusiast you must see it. I have read the book, and not only did Wolfgang Petersen do great justice to the characters and general feel, but he improved the story hugely. This is one of those *rare incidents where the movie outshines the book enormously. It is a masterpiece. But if you want a movie length version for a normal evening watch try the Director's Cut. Fantastic piece of film art, which sadly will never be equalled.

This was the VHS we had back in the day:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 648_831210451.jpg (96.9 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Andreas86; 07-15-22 at 11:11 AM.
Andreas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-22, 01:17 PM   #6
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Great minds think alike! My wonderful wife made Chicken Marengo for Bastille day. I'm watching Indiana Jones: Raiders of the lost Ark this AM and realized the exterior model U-boat (U- 26)and the sub pen scene (both flicks actually shot at La Rochelle at the same time) were also used in Das Boot! (U- 96) ie: all the propman had to do was repaint one digit!

Still waiting to some one explain how did Indy was not spotted on the sub,during the voyage...
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-22, 06:55 PM   #7
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post

Nice! Love Chicken Marengo. Interesting origins of the dish. Actually,.I once had a heated debate (wine was involved lol) over whether the dish was French or Italian.

For Bastille Day, we had Steak au Poivre, Bisque and wine of course. Creme Brulee for dessert.

Yes, from what I understand several movies used the "U Boat" used in Das Boot. Sadly, highly doubt any future sub movies would create a model, would just go the annoying CGI route.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote