SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-11-22, 03:12 PM   #1
ImBatman
Sailor man

Downloads: 70
Uploads: 0
Default SH3 time compression stutter upon unit spawn

I'm just getting into sh3 with gwx after many hours in sh4 and 5. I've gotten used to opening the stopwatch in 4 and 5, then watching for the stutter under TC to know when units are nearby.

Does this occur in sh3 as well? The stopwatch doesnt really work in the same way as 4 or 5, so i just watch my subs marker on the map.

Im in my first wartime patrol (sept 1939) in the area just east of the channel (AN84) in my trusty type II, and its been slim pickings out here. I've seen one belgian ship after several days in the area.

I'm wondering if im missing contacts by depending on the stutter trick. It would serve me right for being a big cheater! In my defense, i at least use manual targeting.
ImBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-22, 03:45 PM   #2
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 588
Uploads: 30

Hi ImBatman if you use time compression x256 or higher you may miss single ships and convoys best use 64/128 times time compression.
Airpatrols may hit you hard in early war in England coastal waters if your using time compression x256 plus you will get K.I.A. .
Also relying on your hydraphone man to report ships and convoys with a green crew is akin to asking a blind man to count the stars when you dive to periscope depth do a manual sonar sweep yourself you can pick up ships convoys 38km away plus your early war sonarman will pick up ships convoys 6-kms from you when you ask him to do a sonar search.

question are you using the 4Gig Patch gives SH3 the ability to use 4Gig of memory instead of the default 2Gig a must have if your using big mods with SH3

download link below.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5737

Are you using the commander mod if not download link below.
gives you the ability to set days in port between patrol instead of the default 28 days gives you the ability to give your officers more skills.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=4789

Commander Mod Config file so GWX3 and the Commander Mod talk to each other download link below.

http://www.thegreywolves.com/downloads/

Last edited by blackswan40; 07-11-22 at 03:56 PM.
blackswan40 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-22, 03:58 PM   #3
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

The Commander cfg link points back here.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=1421
Old 07-11-22, 03:59 PM   #4
ImBatman
Sailor man

I am using sh3commander. I was using large address aware, but then someone was kind enough to point out b.sie mod, which contains a 4gb patch. Now im using that.

With the hydrophones, im used to using the one in 4 that has the green light, and the sonar switch, which makes the contact appear on the map. This ones a little trickier. Looks like i got some bad habits to break.
Old 07-11-22, 04:05 PM   #5
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Hi IamBatman was just trying to keep you alive when your 5-10 patrols into your Campaign you dont want to get wasted K.I.A. Sept/Oct-1940.

Good Hunting Sir Salute
Old 07-11-22, 04:15 PM   #6
ImBatman
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post
Hi IamBatman was just trying to keep you alive when your 5-10 patrols into your Campaign you dont want to get wasted K.I.A. Sept/Oct-1940.

Good Hunting Sir Salute
Thanks! I will apply these tips.
Old 07-12-22, 02:32 AM   #7
ImBatman
Sailor man

Your advice was spot on! Flying around on high tc waiting for the stutter isn't going to cut it out here. After lots of diligent searching, and moving closer to the english coast, U-7 found it's first victim, a tramp steamer. I got into position, calculated it's speed and path, and waited until it was about 15 degrees left of zero. Then we let Mr G7e fly. I was aiming right for the stack, but somehow caught it in the bow (i'm going to have to figure out what went wrong there, i was sure i had everything entered correctly).

Despite being somewhat off in my aiming, it was good enough to get the job done. It caught fire, and its bow started dropping fairly quickly. I sped off, with the occasional explosion in the background. After about 10 minutes or so, the tramp steamer, half submerged, decided to roll over and go under the waves.

And there you have it, my first career kill in SHIII, 17 years after the game came out. Better late than never!
Old 07-12-22, 03:10 AM   #8
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

ImBatman your still hitting them its just practice lots and lots of lovely practice was your Uboat moving when you fired your eel or still if moving you have to take that into acount.

Bstanko6 Manual Targeting guide

Last edited by blackswan40; 07-12-22 at 03:51 AM.
Old 07-12-22, 02:34 PM   #9
ImBatman
Sailor man

This video has shown me the problem, by way of the equation he is using to calculate speed. I've always used the rule of distance traveled in 3 min 15s, divided by 100 to get speed in knots. This correlates to the following equation:

(l/t)*1.95 where

l=distance in meters
t=time in seconds

But the video uses: (l/t)*1.852

When one searches how many meters in a nautical mile they get 1852. I think the 3m 15s rule is derived from a so called international knot which is slightly different.

So on my shot, i figured he moved 700 m in 3m 15s, which i entered as 7kt. But according to the videos equation. It was more like 6.6 kt. At 900 m away, that might have been the difference.

Using the video's equation, it should be distance in 3m 5s divided by 100.