SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-03-22, 12:00 AM   #1
Steve_i400
Swabbie

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
Default Silent hunter 3 resolution questions. (plus some GUI questions)

Hello, I've been getting into Silent hunter 3 recently and have had a very rough time trying to get my game to run in any decent resolution. I'm not sure how to compile all the questions I have into one but I will try.

Idealy I would like to run the game (with GWX 3) at 2560x1440 (windowed) with some sort of GUI mod (maybe ARB GUI 1920x1080 but somehow set up to work with 2560x1440) Is that setup possible and if so is there some sort of tutorial I could follow? The resolution fixes I found didn't work as they don't work with widescreen, they stretch the game.

There, that was the main question, i will list some more questions/notes down bellow in case my "ideal setup" isn't possible. If you know the answer to my main question you can just skip to the end of the post.

1. I've heard changing the windowed resolution is not possible I'm ok with fullscreen if it is necessary

2. When i use the resolution fix i found online and set my resolution to 2560x1440 the game stretches the original 4:3 aspect ratio so it looks stretched. Is there a fix, some sort of widescreen mod/fix?

3. When I used ARB GUI 1920x1080 with my 2560x1440 resolution the GUI is badly misaligned and unusable, half the periscope is cut of, ect... However the Vanilla(stock) game GUI seems to scale fine with higher resolutions so am I missing something? Why isn't the ARB GUI adjusting to a higher resolution nicely like the Vanilla(stock) GUI does?

4. At my current temporary resolution of 1920x1440 (4:3 aspect ratio so it doesn't stretch) my mouse reset point is set exactly in the bottom right corner of the screen, on the depth guage, what this means is that when I want to click off the periscope to stop moving it with my mouse it also clicks the depth guage setting my depth to 270 meters. This of course makes attacks from the periscope near impossible. This issue might get resolved if I get the game running in widescreen but it might also not, so im posting it here just in case.

TLDR: I just want to have my game(GWX3) run in widescreen 2560x1440 with some sort of GUI mod if possible
Thanks in advance for any help and replys!
Steve_i400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-22, 12:53 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Steve_i400!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-22, 01:44 AM   #3
Hooston
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_i400 View Post
2. When i use the resolution fix i found online and set my resolution to 2560x1440 the game stretches the original 4:3 aspect ratio so it looks stretched. Is there a fix, some sort of widescreen mod/fix?
I have a very old laptop with 1366x768 resolution. The ARB wideGUI mod is not compatible with this aspect ratio, so I switched to Widescreen MaGUI, which is almost as good and supports the right aspect ratio. It seems to be popular with NYGM players on youtube but works fine with GWX. I don't know what happens if you change the resolution in the d3d9.ini file that comes with the mod but you may have a fighting chance of getting 2560x1440. I'd be interested in what results you get as i am about to upgrade my hardware.
Hooston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-22, 09:08 AM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar Re: Welcome aboard...

Steve_i400!
Old 08-10-22, 06:59 PM   #5
Mork_417
Lieutenant Commander

Downloads: 263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_i400 View Post

1. I've heard changing the windowed resolution is not possible I'm ok with fullscreen if it is necessary
I use an app called Borderless Gaming (v9.5.6) to get around the window size limitation. I've used it for MaGui 1366x768, and ARB 1920x1080. The app will let you determine the size of the window, and where you want it display on the monitor. However, the window is not draggable, and you have to change the settings to place it in a different location.

As for the other questions, I'll let someone else with more experience with SHIII tackle those.

Also, Welcome aboard.
Old 08-20-22, 11:02 AM   #6
Steve_i400
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork_417 View Post
I use an app called Borderless Gaming (v9.5.6) to get around the window size limitation. I've used it for MaGui 1366x768, and ARB 1920x1080. The app will let you determine the size of the window, and where you want it display on the monitor. However, the window is not draggable, and you have to change the settings to place it in a different location.

As for the other questions, I'll let someone else with more experience with SHIII tackle those.

Also, Welcome aboard.
Thanks! I will try that
Old 08-20-22, 11:04 AM   #7
Steve_i400
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston View Post
I have a very old laptop with 1366x768 resolution. The ARB wideGUI mod is not compatible with this aspect ratio, so I switched to Widescreen MaGUI, which is almost as good and supports the right aspect ratio. It seems to be popular with NYGM players on youtube but works fine with GWX. I don't know what happens if you change the resolution in the d3d9.ini file that comes with the mod but you may have a fighting chance of getting 2560x1440. I'd be interested in what results you get as i am about to upgrade my hardware.
Sorry for late reply, i tried MaGUI but it didn't work for me, I decided ARB wide GUI 1920x1080 was good enough so I play on that now. I wish you better luck when you try to set your game up for 2560x1440, I couldn't make it work!