SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-24-22, 01:33 PM   #841
Deputy
Chief

Downloads: 124
Uploads: 0

I am not new to Subsim or SH3, as can be seen by my starting date But I AM new to Win 10.
And for the life of me, I can't get the game to run in Win 10.
I have the game on DVD from the old days. So it had Starforce on it. I did the removal thing after it installed and it said Starforce wasn't installed. I patched to the newest version. Still doesn't work. I keep getting an error popup saying

"This application can be launched with a release version of Microsoft Windows 95 OSR2.1/98/ME/Server 2003 only".

Tried compatibility mode with EVERY option available. Still won't start. Still same error popup. Getting desperate. I really want to play the game but I sure don't want to install Win 95.

Can anyone help?

Dep
Deputy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-22, 02:53 PM   #842
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy View Post
I am not new to Subsim or SH3, as can be seen by my starting date But I AM new to Win 10.
And for the life of me, I can't get the game to run in Win 10.
I have the game on DVD from the old days. So it had Starforce on it. I did the removal thing after it installed and it said Starforce wasn't installed. I patched to the newest version. Still doesn't work. I keep getting an error popup saying

"This application can be launched with a release version of Microsoft Windows 95 OSR2.1/98/ME/Server 2003 only".

Tried compatibility mode with EVERY option available. Still won't start. Still same error popup. Getting desperate. I really want to play the game but I sure don't want to install Win 95.

Can anyone help?

Dep
Am going to go out on a limb here.. & say... it sounds likely, that you followed the old conventional wisdom, of going with an installs default installation path & it installed in "C:\Program files" or... "C:\Program files (x86)"...

On installing, it is better to dump the default install pathway, & opting instead... to create your own pathway for the install.

Have found it better to point an install to either...

"C:\Games\(whatever game name folder)

or installing it on a hard drive that is NOT under UAC terror-tory control.

After doing an install & seeing that it is working as it "should" in just plain jane vanilla stock... would suggest making a copy of it & then... zip filing it.

This can be used to replace that copy in the unlikely event that something goes wrong should you chose to mod it with any mod set for SH3. I would strongly recommend using MultiSH3 with just the 1 copy... so that it keeps the main SH3 save folder, in pristine condition in case of such a corruption occurring.

It also gives the ability to run more than 1 modded version if you chose to want to run with more than 1 mod set.... simply unzip it into a new minted game folder inside of \Games (aptly named to whatever other mod set version you decide on using) & making sure to use MultiSH3 to keep the save folers... separate from 1 another.

A simpler means, before making that zip copy... drop in to the copy to be zipped... both JSGME & MultiSH3, so that both are already in the zip & no need to do so after unzipping into the new folder set up.

Hope this helps... as always.

M. M.
Old 06-25-22, 04:24 PM   #843
Deputy
Chief

Well I did as you instructed. Installed it in C:\Games2\SilentHunter3.

No success. Same message when I tried running it. Also checked for Starforce and same answer...not present in my PC. Have it set to run in compatibility mode for Win 7. Should it be set at something else?
Old 06-25-22, 06:55 PM   #844
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Well I did as you instructed. Installed it in C:\Games2\SilentHunter3.

No success. Same message when I tried running it. Also checked for Starforce and same answer...not present in my PC. Have it set to run in compatibility mode for Win 7. Should it be set at something else?
Hmmmm....

Odd... have not ever ran into that error message, or at least that I can recall of exactly phrased that way... "This application can be launched with a release version of Microsoft Windows 95 OSR2.1/98/ME/Server 2003 only".

What... exactly are your spec's, on your computer... if ya would be so kind as to relay... Win 10, still hanging on to 7 or 8.1... updated to 11... would be helpful info to know.

In addition, how much "RAM" you are working with... what the graphics spec's are... Nvidia, AMD...

I shall be frank... all My experience with SH3... has been with access of it, from both Steam... & Ubi aka Ubisoft. Have never done an install of it off of disk, not for any game... for some time now. Last time I did, was 1 game called... Axis & Allies & that wasn't too long ago. While I don't play it an awful lot, had no issues with playing it, regardless.

I know, not quite the same as here, with SH3... just noting, the only similarity it shares is it was off a disk.

Will se what I can find to sort this out so that you can get up & running with that copy you have...

Only other thing I can think of... is to look into investing a bit & grabbing an online download access copy of SH3... from Steam, Ubisoft, or some other online game source that is reputable.

Hopefully, another who has knowledge on how to solve this, would also be helpful... but I shall endeavor to see what I can find out, in the mean time.

M. M.
Old 06-26-22, 12:03 AM   #845
Deputy
Chief

Icon14

Here are my specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-I0TLK8E
System Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
System Model MS-7C84
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To be filled by O.E.M.
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor, 3401 Mhz, 16 Core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends International, LLC. 1.91, 3/18/2022
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI (MS-7C84)
BaseBoard Version 1.0
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.1741"
User Name DESKTOP-I0TLK8E\Mike B
Time Zone Mountain Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 63.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 58.4 GB
Total Virtual Memory 73.4 GB
Available Virtual Memory 67.1 GB
Page File Space 9.50 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Name NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1401&SUBSYS_854D1043&REV_A1\4&228 3F625&0&0019
Adapter Type GeForce GTX 960, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Adapter RAM (1,048,576) bytes
Installed Drivers C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_ dispi.inf_amd64_60daf66a00f2e0b6\nvldumdx.dll,C:\W INDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_disp i.inf_amd64_60daf66a00f2e0b6\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDO WS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.in f_amd64_60daf66a00f2e0b6\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\S ystem32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_am d64_60daf66a00f2e0b6\nvldumdx.dll
Driver Version 27.21.14.5671
INF File oem18.inf (Section066 section)
Color Planes Not Available
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1920 x 1080 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xFB000000-0xFBFFFFFF
Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF
Memory Address 0xE0000000-0xE1FFFFFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 54
Driver C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERSTORE\FILEREPOSITORY\NV_ DISPI.INF_AMD64_60DAF66A00F2E0B6\NVLDDMKM.SYS (27.21.14.5671, 30.97 MB (32,479,640 bytes), 4/19/2022 11:40 AM)

Okay, me again. On a brighter note, I was able to download "Living Silent Hunter 3" and it works great. Just have to figure out how to install some mods and I will be in good shape. Weird that I can't get the DVD to work, but oh well. At least I have it this way. Thanks for your help. At least I have a way of playing it with LSH3. And I have it working in 1080P, which is VERY cool.
Old 08-15-22, 05:27 PM   #846
Hebe Vollmaus
Officer

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 1

Quote:

Some self-refresh please?
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/new...eply&p=2815418
Hebe Vollmaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-22, 10:20 PM   #847
Krolm
Watch

Downloads: 17
Default Most effective way of sinking ships (Grey Wolves Expansion)

Cargo ships

Small <4000 GRT:
Single torpedo bit forward dont hit the ships in the middle they will stall in the seas and not sink sometimes. If the seas are rough (>7 m/s winds) then a single torpedo hit anywhere will sink them.

Medium 4000<xxxx<8000 GRT:
Single torpedo on the bow section of the ship dont go for boiler room shots and shots to the funnel, they wont go down. Single torpedo at roughly near the second mast of a medium cargo will sink it in a single hit. May need a kill shot if the seas are calm (<7 m/s winds) but in rough seas they will go down even medium cargo's which are infamous for not sinking will go down in a single hit.

Large >8000 GRT
Same as Medium cargo ships, Large merchants and Large Cargo ship can go down with single torpedo hit in the bow, again dont go for middle shots they wont work if seas are calm need more torpedoes one will do.

Tankers

Tankers are tricky ships the small tanker and Nipawan tanker will go down with single torpedo
larger tankers need 2 torpedoes aimed at the stern again this all depends on the load of the ship tanker are known to be very hard to sink UK bound convoys usually carry fuel and crude and these convoys travel at high speeds
Expect tankers to take 2-3 torpedoes single hits are rare even in rough seas

Combat ships

Very easy to kill they usually have side armour and impacts are discouraged, 1 magnetic torpedo will kill any destroyer/Corvette/Light cruiser.
For Heavy cruisers/Battle cruisers/Battleships 2 Magnetic torpedoes aimed slightly behind the turrets will destroy them
Carriers same formula as the cargos stern shots with 2 Magnetic Torpedoes
Remember ! combat ships=have armour=under keel shots
Destroyer and corvette have very low keel depth they sit very high in water so in rough seas you need to set depth to very low or just use an impact torpedo skipping the waves

Notes:

Avoid Passenger/Cargo they are useless ships that wont go down even of the torpedo has 600 kgs of explosive.
Try to get true course of ship for AOB and speed, Speed is very important even 1 knot error will kill the attack
Get as close as possible if attacking lone merchants.

500-600 meters distance exact speed of ship 90° attack angle with 0° gyro angle and using slow speed setting with impact pistols you cannot miss with this combo. Wait for the ship to sink let the flooding do the rest if ship appears to be in control and hasnt shown any progress then go back and hit it again from same angle (if attacked on port side of ship attack port side again dont go for starboard side).

Sink em all!!
Krolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-22, 07:19 PM   #848
CTU_Clay
The Lone Wolf

Downloads: 312

How about the "one shot, one kill" ?

Does anyone have the tutorial for "one shot, one kill"?

-clay

“Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.” .
CTU_Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-23, 11:01 AM   #849
subwayboy
Swabbie

Downloads: 59
Default time compression settings

I've been looking at the TC settings in the main.cfg file, I can see that my RadioReport is set to 8x, however when I receive a report about a convoy or a regular radio message, my TC doesn't slow down to 8x, or slow down at all.

Is it a bug or is the game not supposed to slow down for radio reports about convoys? (Maybe to make the player use a lower TC?)

When I'm out sailing across the North Atlantic to America I use quite a high TC, sometimes I see convoys but my TC doesn't slow and I miss them by an hour or two, and by then there's no point plotting a course to intercept since they've moved so far. Here are my TC settings below.

[TIME COMPRESSION]
TimeStop=0
RealTime=1
LandProximity=128
CriticalDamage=1
CrewEfficiency=1
AirEnemyDetected=1
SoundEffects=2
CharacterAnim=4
EnemyDetected=8
RadioReport=8
Particles=8
PrayState=64
HunterState=64
3DRender=64
Maximum=8192
subwayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-23, 11:40 AM   #850
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

subwayboy!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-23, 03:10 PM   #851
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwayboy View Post
I've been looking at the TC settings in the main.cfg file, I can see that my RadioReport is set to 8x, however when I receive a report about a convoy or a regular radio message, my TC doesn't slow down to 8x, or slow down at all.

Is it a bug or is the game not supposed to slow down for radio reports about convoys? (Maybe to make the player use a lower TC?)

When I'm out sailing across the North Atlantic to America I use quite a high TC, sometimes I see convoys but my TC doesn't slow and I miss them by an hour or two, and by then there's no point plotting a course to intercept since they've moved so far. Here are my TC settings below.

[TIME COMPRESSION]
TimeStop=0
RealTime=1
LandProximity=128
CriticalDamage=1
CrewEfficiency=1
AirEnemyDetected=1
SoundEffects=2
CharacterAnim=4
EnemyDetected=8
RadioReport=8
Particles=8
PrayState=64
HunterState=64
3DRender=64
Maximum=8192
If you have applied mods to your game, and are looking in the game folder at files, be aware that the game uses the Save folder data to run most of the game, so any edits to the game files are not updated in the Save folder until
the Save data is deleted and then re-created when starting the game again the next time. Also, the game's "messages_en.txt" (and a _ge version at a minimum) have a setting for "Message Type" that influences whether the game interrupts you or not. Some messages are not set as "important", and it is up to the player to catch those and read them as they come across.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote