SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-07-22, 11:29 PM   #16
ImBatman
Sailor man

Downloads: 70
Uploads: 0

There is an option in the TDW patcher to disable the uplay requirement. One problem though. It says you can still load/save or create a new career, but career progess will not be updated. I'm guessing that refers to the process where it moves from one part of the campaign to the next (i.e. coastal waters to happy times).

While I can start the game while totally offline, it still wants to open ubisoft connect. As long as i sign into it, even while totally offline, it'll open the game.

I'm still waiting on the hard copy of the game to arrive, but when it does, I'll be eager to see if the game can be installed and played from there, using tdw patch to eliminate the need for uplay altogether.

Best case scenario would be that you could play the campaign from the start until whenever the first stage ends, then start a new career using "silentotto" cheat and select next stage of campaign. Worst case is if you have to reinstall for whatever reason, you're screwed.
ImBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-22, 12:05 AM   #17
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

I started though ksd commander guess we smoke though a campaign real quick and processed to the next one
Old 07-08-22, 03:41 AM   #18
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Oh and funny thing: Ubisoft store is still selling SH5, with no mention of planned decomissioning. Guess they just forgot.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-22, 11:59 AM   #19
ImBatman
Sailor man

I'm a fan of their Assassin's Creed franchise. (History? Check. Conspiracy theories? Check. Gratuitous violence? Check). So this little stunt by these guys is going to cost them a lot of money from me. I just refunded 2 of those games. I got them at the steam sale recently enough to still be eligible for refund. I think it's safe to say they'll never make another silent hunter, not enough money in it for them. So I won't buy anything made by them ever again.

It's not easy, but i just can't give a company like this any of my money. It's not just this game, either. They are going to make a bunch of single player content unplayable all across the board. I always thought EA was the scummiest gaming company, but ubi has taken the crown.

I guess I'm going to have to find a substitute to scratch the uboat itch. It looks like the best choices are either sh3 gwx, the newish uboat game, or perhaps one of the sh4 ato mods. I cant remember if 4 is tied to their stupid launcher or not. Uboat still needs work, even with the mods available it's still a bit arcadey to me.

3 might be the best bet but its just so dated now. I did manage to get it all up and running though, complete with sh3commander and widescreen fix. I have to say it has had a lot of care put into it. The manual for the mod is hundreds of pages.

Thats the saddest thing about this whole debacle. There must be thousands of hours invested by members of this site to fix sh5. Not to mention modding in a functional enigma machine. They say you cant polish a turd, but it was done here. And all that work, potentially down the drain.
Old 07-08-22, 02:37 PM   #20
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBatman View Post
I'm a fan of their Assassin's Creed franchise. (History? Check. Conspiracy theories? Check. Gratuitous violence? Check). So this little stunt by these guys is going to cost them a lot of money from me. I just refunded 2 of those games. I got them at the steam sale recently enough to still be eligible for refund. I think it's safe to say they'll never make another silent hunter, not enough money in it for them. So I won't buy anything made by them ever again.

It's not easy, but i just can't give a company like this any of my money. It's not just this game, either. They are going to make a bunch of single player content unplayable all across the board. I always thought EA was the scummiest gaming company, but ubi has taken the crown.

I guess I'm going to have to find a substitute to scratch the uboat itch. It looks like the best choices are either sh3 gwx, the newish uboat game, or perhaps one of the sh4 ato mods. I cant remember if 4 is tied to their stupid launcher or not. Uboat still needs work, even with the mods available it's still a bit arcadey to me.

3 might be the best bet but its just so dated now. I did manage to get it all up and running though, complete with sh3commander and widescreen fix. I have to say it has had a lot of care put into it. The manual for the mod is hundreds of pages.

Thats the saddest thing about this whole debacle. There must be thousands of hours invested by members of this site to fix sh5. Not to mention modding in a functional enigma machine. They say you cant polish a turd, but it was done here. And all that work, potentially down the drain.

Quote:
I can't remember, if 4 is tied to their stupid launcher or not.

It is tied to their launcher... just as well as being hog tied to Steam & their launcher, as well... all part of their... anti-piracy campaign.

I... do know of a means & method, to cut, the hog tie to Steam (or Ubi), on SH4... it requires, resetting up the guts of SH4, set up in its own folder... making sure to keep it out of UAC's, slimy grip & terror-tory.

Looks like this same process, needs a savior to champion that same process with regards to 5, soon.... if we are to have a hope of playing what we paid for.

Ubi...

you suck.

M. M.
Old 07-08-22, 04:06 PM   #21
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

I know there's stuff out there to bypass Ubi Connect.
I've been using it for over 6 years!
Don't even HAVE Ubi Connect on my 'puter.
Old 07-08-22, 05:18 PM   #22
SnipersHunter
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post

Thats some good news atleast!
SnipersHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-22, 11:36 PM   #23
Oubaas
中国水兵

Downloads: 65

The era of the big, corporate development studios is over. EA, Ubisoft, Codemasters, et al will all go down the drain. Everything that they have produced in the past ten years is just a rehash of the same old fare.

Independent developers and studios are the ones producing fresh, new, innovative titles. Nearly all my games now come from small studios, some even one-man operations. I have yet to have any of them pull the rug out from under me, and it's been years for many titles.

It also helps to research the title that you're considering and make sure that it's not a take the money and run effort. Shovelware, I believe they call it.

Ubisoft employees could always get jobs teaching once the company goes belly up. "Welcome to Business 201. The first thing that we're going to cover is how to make your company name toxic to the consumers to whom you're trying to sell your products." Pure genius.

I've hated Ubisoft since they mandated their data mining software in order to play their games.

And you know who killed VR? Metaquest. That's the intrusive moles behind Facebook. You can't use an Oculus without allowing them to install their data mining software.

Eventually maybe these big companies will wake up to the fact that people don't want their intrusive crap. But I'll happily watch the ones that don't learn go belly up. It makes me laugh. Having watched their antics and encountered their arrogant attitudes toward their customers in forums, and all their other stupidity, I'm happy to hear that they're not doing well.

If I ran a company and some pinhead with a newly minted degree came up with the bright idea of mandating our own intrusive interface in order to play our games, I'd fire the idiot the moment that I heard about it. But I doubt if there's anyone that smart in upper management at Ubisoft.

Que sera sera. The moment that it becomes a pain in the butt to play a game, I hit the Uninstall button. Plenty more where that came from. And there always will be.

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-22, 12:53 PM   #24
SnipersHunter
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Could you please share this knowledge as soon as the game will be unacessible due to ubisoft connect?

Last edited by SnipersHunter; 07-10-22 at 03:27 PM.
SnipersHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-22, 03:30 PM   #25
ImBatman
Sailor man

It appears that, at least to me, that even if you bypass uplay/ubisoft connect, the career won't be playable. You can start a career, but various glitches prevent you from talking to the munitions guy and the guy who gives the patrol mission in the bunker. There's something the game has to do with ubisoft the first time it's launched in order to prevent the bugged out campaign.

I did not try with just stock campaign (why bother), so this is after attempting to mod twos.

The career/campaign is really the only reason I play these games, so I'm moving to sh3.

ETA: that's no good either. who thought it would be a good idea to spam radio messages, and force tc to drop to 1 every single time? Tried adjusting tc settings both in main.cfg and in sh3 commander. Oh well.

ETA2: The solution to that problem seems to be this:https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=1385
That is too bad. I don't mind the flavor messages, but dropping out of tc every time is a problem. Wasn't a problem in 5, but what can you do?

Last edited by ImBatman; 07-10-22 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-10-22, 09:12 PM   #26
stork100
Weps

Downloads: 92

Quote:
ETA: that's no good either. who thought it would be a good idea to spam radio messages, and force tc to drop to 1 every single time? Tried adjusting tc settings both in main.cfg and in sh3 commander. Oh well.
The solution lies in h.sie's V16B1-Patch-Kit "WarNews" fix:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=174225

Read install documentation carefully!
stork100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-22, 11:39 PM   #27
theroc44
Lieutenant

Downloads: 101

Gonna miss one of the dlc skins. Not a fan of paid content going away. If pay for something it should always be yours. I digress....
Old 07-10-22, 11:58 PM   #28
theroc44
Lieutenant

Downloads: 101

They pulled the game from every retailer. On steam it states the game will be inaccessible after September 1. It wasn't a great game to begin with but not having access at all is idiotic. It's a single player campaign. Ubisoft really $%^^ the bed here.
Old 07-11-22, 12:58 AM   #29
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

theroc44! nuthin like moral outrage and the infamous 7-year-itch to bring a man to the surface...nice "silent run"!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-22, 01:32 AM   #30
ImBatman
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by stork100 View Post
The solution lies in h.sie's V16B1-Patch-Kit "WarNews" fix:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=174225

Read install documentation carefully!

Excellent! Thanks. This mod includes stuff I would've figured out that I needed well into a campaign.

Unrelated to that, I have support tickets filed both with steam and ubisoft to get a better idea of what is going on with sh5. Ubi is still selling it in store, but mislabeled it DLC. I'm beginning to suspect a communication breakdown between scum-sucking Ubisoft, and Steam. Ubi's post never said anything about the entire game being inaccessible. I will update when/if i receive replies from either of them.