SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-16-22, 05:59 PM   #1
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 96
Uploads: 0
Default Any Active Flotillas Still Kicking?

As the name implies, if anyone is still around, running as command for a bunch of cranky subsimmers looking for a bit of RP. I've been digging a little bit but it seems that any trace of them is gone, so figured I'd give it a go and ask a bit.

If not, I might set one up if I get the time aside. I had quite a bit of fun with that aspect some time ago.

As much as I dislike it sometimes, I'm a tin can sailor, through and through.
Kaptlt.Endrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-22, 07:06 PM   #2
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 439

Unfortunately and sadly, there is really only one that is still running, but I do not recommend looking into them. Not a great environment imho.

I think that the days of SH3 Flotillas are long gone, a part of our history.

FUBAR295 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-22, 09:10 PM   #3
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Ah, that's a shame. Might have to put one together then, if people are up for it. I'm sure there's a few good hands here and there that would partake.

Old 08-16-22, 11:24 PM   #4
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

I miss Wolves at War. (WaW)

They had a really nice website and method of operation.

I always wanted to play, but during their heyday I was always in the ocean of GWX development.

I used to read patrol orders and resultant reports, always feeling like I was a kid with my nose pressed up against the window.

The only alternative for such things currently in the SH3 environment, is the off-site dumpster fire wrapped in a train wreck.

I think it would be great if somebody else stepped up and restarted something like WaW again, if only to create a positive alternative. There does seem to be a sort of resurgence happening lately as it is. As long as its leader(s) keep things relatively simple and positive without miles of complication it could work. As long as the players wishing to take part in it understand that without input the project fails.... you have a recipe for success.

Maybe you should cast your net, ask about out loud here via poll etc. after a little planning. If you get a fair response, maybe then you could even ask Neal for a little space here at Subsim to carry out operations.

I'm back in development with the other Grey Wolves again, so with my luck any such new organized flotilla project will be a smash hit.... and I'll meet the 'Lehmann Proof Window' once more.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-22, 07:39 AM   #5
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

As being the Admin at WAW, (aka von) I sure miss those days too. Sorry you could not participate.

Sean Forehan (BdU and site owner), Bill Stacy (aka AK or Alfred Keiser and the other Admin) and myself had talked several years ago about a reboot but sadly, nothing ever came of it.

Not sure how much interest there would be for another WAW type site. I feel at times that there is not and those days a long gone.

I still have a large amount of WAW stuff we used.

Old 08-17-22, 09:55 AM   #6
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15 Re: Multi or Flot...

On this, would be interested... & just an idea floated, perhaps of using as a base for it, the hardcore enhanced SH3 NYGM by Fifi, as that.

Just a suggestion...

M. M.
Old 08-17-22, 12:38 PM   #7
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

A majority of the members used GXW, followed by NYGM, and finally all the rest here and there.

At the time, at WaW, we found that using any super mod was preferred, CCoM, GWX, LSH3, NYGM, WAC or what ever you were using work the best for members. The only stipulation was that you had to use mods that did not give unfair advantage to the Uboot. No nuclear torps or arty shells, super sonar/radar, that kind of thing. Just about everyone abided by the rule.

Old 08-17-22, 01:14 PM   #8
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR295 View Post
A majority of the members used GXW, followed by NYGM, and finally all the rest here and there.

At the time, at WaW, we found that using any super mod was preferred, CCoM, GWX, LSH3, NYGM, WAC or what ever you were using work the best for members. The only stipulation was that you had to use mods that did not give unfair advantage to the Uboot. No nuclear torps or arty shells, super sonar/radar, that kind of thing. Just about everyone abided by the rule.

M. M.
Old 08-17-22, 04:14 PM   #9
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

Have never joined one of these groups but am at a point where my interest is quite piqued.

Once upon a time, was unable to commit the time but that situation has changed somewhat. And then there is the politics and group dynamics that usually seemed to favour members of Subsim or certain Modding Community cliques of which I have never been a part. Or at least how some of the public dialog's could be perceived by this outsider.

Will follow this thread closely to see where it goes and if it seems like any resulting SH3 flotilla might tick the appropriate boxes, I could very well take the plunge.

Good luck and Good Hunting.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-22, 09:48 PM   #10
Gorpet
Still Searching

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
Have never joined one of these groups but am at a point where my interest is quite piqued.

Once upon a time, was unable to commit the time but that situation has changed somewhat. And then there is the politics and group dynamics that usually seemed to favour members of Subsim or certain Modding Community cliques of which I have never been a part. Or at least how some of the public dialog's could be perceived by this outsider.

Will follow this thread closely to see where it goes and if it seems like any resulting SH3 flotilla might tick the appropriate boxes, I could very well take the plunge.

Good luck and Good Hunting.

-C
Politics and group dynamics, Some of the public dialog's could be perceived as questionable.

Last edited by Gorpet; 08-17-22 at 10:06 PM.
Gorpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-22, 10:38 PM   #11
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

I miss the days of WAW too. I have to admit I haven't played a sub game in several years, though I did load up a fresh install of SH5 a year or so ago. I am in touch with Per and Jen on FB so, could let them know if something happens as far as a reboot of WAW happens.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-22, 12:37 AM   #12
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW3 View Post
I miss the days of WAW too. I have to admit I haven't played a sub game in several years, though I did load up a fresh install of SH5 a year or so ago. I am in touch with Per and Jen on FB so, could let them know if something happens as far as a reboot of WAW happens.
Great to see another of the Old Guard. Cheers, HW3.

I'm seeing a few more these days, and THAT is GREAT STUFF!

This is just a thought that you can take or leave. Considering leadership though, if the organizers could arrange for about three people, they could tag-team the responsibility of managing operations, with one considered to be senior, for any special circumstances to be dealt with.

I think you have something here, guys. SH3 and SH4 aren't going to be replaced by anything better.... In that respect, the platform field has settled out to what it is going to be, probably for a very long time.

To me, the idea sounds great for those that would like to do something organized and cooperative, but aren't really comfortable with 'live' multiplayer variations.

I think most of the arcade style players have moved on to other pastures, and this is not to say that you must have ultra-hardcore 100% realism style players. Some realism expectations are absolutely called for, but balance those expectations. I don't have a dog in this fight, but I am among the ranks of those who still suck at manual targeting. Guard against keeping your requirements ultra-narrow.

Anyway. What do I know.

I actually think that the time ripe for this sort of thing to come back! This is Subsim.com after all!

Give it a go, guys! Start your PM's and emails! Work those Enigma keys!

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-22, 09:01 AM   #13
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

I would be willing to help administer and the like for something like WAW.

As pointed out you would need at three people for admin purposes. I think we need to run a poll and see how much interest there is.

Old 08-18-22, 11:32 PM   #14
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

I'd definitely need help, and although I'd love to be a part of the hunting, time may not allow me to, especially if it kicks off and we get a lot of members; between personal life and my eventual return to sea and deployment, constant monitoring wouldn't really be feasible.

But hey, it seems to be getting a good amount of feedback. Maybe I'll have to figure out how websites work and build one up, if we don't use Subsim as a base.

Old 08-24-22, 05:20 AM   #15
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

There is a hardcore group out there. But you have to be very committed to play. I was part of it, but could not commit to the time required. I think starting a new group would be a breath of fresh air for this community.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote