SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-31-22, 08:39 PM   #16
coldDynamic
Swabbie

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 1

I think the best part of flotillas the way they lend a degree of unpredictability to a single player campaign. You can always have a random patrol grid given by SH3 Commander or the game itself to give some variance, but even then this is not very interactive. Having an actual set of orders to follow that can change depending on what happens during the patrol really livens things up and makes each patrol a bit more satisfying when you get back to port.

I was an admin for a flotilla a few years back (LWF) providing patrol orders and radio updates for each player’s individual campaign/patrols and basically acting as the “BdU” for them during each journey out to sea. It was good fun and I would not mind doing it again at all. I kept it fairly simple, with what I believe was a decent balance of background realism as far as orders and assignments went and actual enjoyment of playing the game (and it is after all a game, which can sometimes get lost the more realistic you want to make it). Life got in the way as it often does so I had to stop for a while but I’m in a position now to pick it up again I think.

There was never much fuss about which mods/megamods were being used as long as they weren’t overpowering U-boat weapons effects or detection properties as mentioned above. I think the members at the time all ran GWX but I see no reason that NYGM/LSH or others can’t be used as long as their features can work with the orders created by the admin (e.g. Milkcow boats and supply ships being available in GWX but not others etc.). The same goes for realism settings – if you are happiest playing the game with auto-targeting on, or having the stealth meter visible, then that is what you should play.

Anyone from this thread that is at all interested feel free to DM me as I am happy to help in any way I can if enough people are interested.

CD
coldDynamic is offline   Reply With Quote