SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-05-21, 01:45 PM   #3001
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
However, Truk also had extensive "terrain" changes to "dredge" the channels for ships to pass through, by previous modders, as well as the FotRSU Team, and that might also contribute to the little hiccups you experience in the area.
i would love to learn how to dredge.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 10:14 PM   #3002
Comder
Commander

Downloads: 83
Uploads: 0

Thank You propbeanie, I was beginning to realize that distance from the sub makes a difference on what you can see with the external camera. Now I know. I am glad to help. Thank you and all for your modding.

Comder

Asus ROG Strix Scar G732LXS-XS99
I9 10th GEN, 32gb MEM, RX2080 8GB nvidia, 2TB SSD
Windows 10 Pro

Warship? What warship?
Comder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 11:49 PM   #3003
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

So, see what you guys think:

both are really cool, but they do show the weaknesses of the game also, especially when there is a lot of ack ack in the air and other parts of the game can't draw as well... The PT boats didn't hit anything, just like in real life, but most did not survive in FotRSU... You'll also see in the Kamikaze attacks that ships are not equipped for collision detection from above too well... the masts take out a few of the divers, which then inflicts minimal damage to the ship. I did have one run of that mission where the Kamikaze sank two of the ships, but only once in about a dozen runs. Both vidz are rough drafts and have very poor "camera" work, which might make an old man dizzy, present company included...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-21, 01:41 AM   #3004
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 705
Uploads: 37

kamikaze looks awesome!
vickers03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-21, 09:34 AM   #3005
propbeanie

Thanks. Most of that is CapnScurvy's work from his Day of Infamy mod, that he rolled into FotRSU instead. We just copied off of him for another with the Judy D4Y4, which at the time of its development was supposed to be the next gen torpedo bomber, but ended up being used almost exclusively as a kamikaze platform. They even went to far as to install 3-rocket packs on their undersides to give them a little boost when diving on the target... the little fireballs that you see in a couple of shots in the video are something we have to track down though. Those are damaged planes that have "lost" their skin. I probably introduced a conflict we haven't found yet... sigh - we'll be releasing shortly without the Judy until we find the issue. In the meantime, another discovery on the Balao, as to why radar sometimes does not function like a person would want when submerged at Radar Depth... "Radar Depth" is not radar depth for the Balao. Raise up a few feet, and the SJ functions as expected. Trying to see which way the "issue" is, whether it is set too deep (the SD dish is above the "water" though), or if it is from any one of a number of other settings.

Old 04-09-21, 09:53 AM   #3006
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
both are really cool, but they do show the weaknesses of the game also, especially when there is a lot of ack ack in the air and other parts of the game can't draw as well... The PT boats didn't hit anything, just like in real life, but most did not survive in FotRSU... You'll also see in the Kamikaze attacks that ships are not equipped for collision detection from above too well... the masts take out a few of the divers, which then inflicts minimal damage to the ship. I did have one run of that mission where the Kamikaze sank two of the ships, but only once in about a dozen runs. Both vidz are rough drafts and have very poor "camera" work, which might make an old man dizzy, present company included...
watched the Kamikaze video.
i have never been witness to surface battles so it was kind of like watching a streaming documentary.
one question: what is the rapid-firing weapon that puts up the black, cotton balls? it is a great presentation of AAA however i do not believe it actually knocked down an aircraft. the puffs looked really neat. reminded me of the Eight Air Force action one can see in some WWII-era films.

LAA enabled
Old 04-09-21, 10:58 AM   #3007
propbeanie

The "puffs" have to be in front of the airplane, and it fly into them, but just like depth charges, a "roll of the dice" seems to determine a damage zone... Has anyone noticed that the PT boats had their spot lights on when attacking?... lol - not a very sound tactical decision on their part... Now, if they're going against a barge, fine, but when attacking anything like four DD, a Mogami, and 2 BB with a squadron of PT Boats, I would think that zigging and no lights would be the prudent decision... the next two squadrons that attacked after the video ends fared no better. They do however, delay the advance of the Strike Force, which throws off my well-planned schedule at the northern end of the Strait...

Old 04-09-21, 12:37 PM   #3008
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:

Loved the videos. The Kamikazes, could be quite terrifying when actually running the sim, I am sure a hit on a players sub would catastrophic(?). I love how the flak "puffs" are visible now. Something I need to add, they are too small and not visible long enough during mass air attacks.

If I can ever get kamikazes working in TMO, will be great as I have the raids scripted perfectly. Leyte, Lingayen, Iwo (attack on Saratoga and Bismark Sea), Okinawa etc. Get them to randomly show up where could attack players.

The Baka's are a nice touch lol. Reminds me of back in the Combat Flight Simulator 2 days. An amazing modder added kamikazes and bakas into the sim, made late war missions extremely challenging. Even flying the F4U-1D or C (20 MM cannons) and may nail some of them, even with the AA from the fleet, some always got through. The ships were simple and damage models simple in CFS 2(lol) so they usually were sunk. Some modders added in better ships so the carriers did not instantly sink when hit. Have not played it in years since SH 4 keeps my interest but was some of the most intense flight sim time have logged.

Surigao Strait video was excellent as well. I would definitely remove the spotlights from the PT lol since they use them foolishly or create a special PT unit for the battles without spotlights. Note to myself for Surigao Strait in TMO . Early on when I began my TMO update I scripted Leyte Gulf and the battles, Surigao Strait included. Once have AI torpedoes for the PT and DD's it will be great.DD's slugging it out with the BB and CA in southern force, kind of silly without torpedoes. When what remains of the Southern force into the battle line of the old US BB's, pretty cool to observe, if in position fire some torpedoes their way. Especially interesting when on surface and a stray BB round lands near you lol I have a shell splash mod for TMO, makes the large guns shells have larger shell splashes, it conflicts with vicker's smoke mod, though so trying to get it worked out.

Anyways, excellent videos, thanks for sharing.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-21, 01:02 PM   #3009
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:

On the PT boats.. what would the chances be... of maybe cloning a set, without the spot lights & having them used as called on set of PT boats in that set up...? cause like you say, in a follow up post & I quote you here:

Quote:
Has anyone noticed that the PT boats had their spot lights on when attacking?... lol - not a very sound tactical decision on their part... Now, if they're going against a barge, fine, but when attacking anything like four DD, a Mogami, and 2 BB with a squadron of PT Boats, I would think that zigging and no lights would be the prudent decision...
Is kind of like a burglar, contacting the police to say, Oh yeah... I plan on being at 'X' & robbing the place... on the spot lights...

& PT boats were known for using their small size, powerful motors that they had.. or at least when the concept was conceived & implemented at any rate.. of slipping in like a knife fighter & slipping the shiv (torps) into a victims gut & slip away... or at least that again, was the general idea behind their design.

& 1 question that comes to mind from that.. are they able to be set up, of being able to launch fish.. besides just sitting there, as they rove about, spitting out .5 cal death..

Other than that, rest of it looked pretty good... & didn't get too dizy from the camera work...

M. M.

Old 04-09-21, 05:07 PM   #3010
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
The "puffs" have to be in front of the airplane, and it fly into them, but just like depth charges, a "roll of the dice" seems to determine a damage zone...
what was the weapon?

LAA enabled
Old 04-09-21, 07:53 PM   #3011
propbeanie

Mixed, with 20mm & 40mm, as well as 5", all AA

Old 04-09-21, 10:22 PM   #3012
Comder
Commander

Downloads: 83

Good Evening Gentlemen,
Propbeanie, both videos look good. I can not wait to play the next release. Good job gentlemen.
Comder

Asus ROG Strix Scar G732LXS-XS99
I9 10th GEN, 32gb MEM, RX2080 8GB nvidia, 2TB SSD
Windows 10 Pro

Warship? What warship?
Comder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-21, 10:26 AM   #3013
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366
Default 20mm Oerlikon DG

Ahoy,

06Jan1944, 18:00 hrs
USS Tautog, Tambor Class
Pearl Harbor, Patrol Area 8

I purchased the 20mm Oerlikon paired 4 inch/ 50 Caliber Deck Gun when in home port the last time. The 20mm is on the bow and the 4 inch/ 50cal is on the stern of the boat. The 4 inch/ 50cal deck gun slots remained on the Crew Management page <F7> but, the 20mm didn't come with any gun crew slots to man the gun. My question is, can this be fixed?

Thanks,
Larry
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-21, 10:45 AM   #3014
propbeanie

Had you removed your gun crew and put them back to the repair team prior to exchanging? Is your 4" gun in the same location as before? If you have not left base yet, remove what you did, and make certain your gun crews are off the guns. Save the game, exit and come back in to that career. Try the gun swap again. There should be four slots for the 4" gun, and 2 slots for the 20mm, no matter which of the fore and aft combos you use. If not, back it off again, and try the other combo and see if you get the crew. If you do not, do not leave port. We'll try the "gun fix". Something goes awry in the Save folder apparently, and finding that is more than a bit of a bother. This has been with the game since the get-go. Just remember that before you attempt to do Battle Stations, if you do have crew slots, that you have to Save, Exit and return again for the new gun crew to show at their stations...

Old 04-10-21, 11:27 AM   #3015
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366
Default 20mm Oerlikon DG

Thank you PB for reply.
Quote:
Had you removed your gun crew and put them back to the repair team prior to exchanging? My DG crew comes from top skilled crew members in the boat, example, the leader is one with most leadership with good gun skills, the gunner has highest gunnery skills, the assistant gunner has the next highest and the loader has the next highest skill. The crew is only moved from their duty stations when the deck is to be manned for action. Is your 4" gun in the same location as before? I didn't change the gun location.If you have not left base yet, remove what you did, and make certain your gun crews are off the guns. Save the game, exit and come back in to that career. Try the gun swap again. There should be four slots for the 4" gun, and 2 slots for the 20mm, no matter which of the fore and aft combos you use. If not, back it off again, and try the other combo and see if you get the crew. If you do not, do not leave port. We'll try the "gun fix". Something goes awry in the Save folder apparently, and finding that is more than a bit of a bother. This has been with the game since the get-go. Just remember that before you attempt to do Battle Stations, if you do have crew slots, that you have to Save, Exit and return again for the new gun crew to show at their stations...
Sadly, I made this change earlier this year, March time frame I think. And real time caused me to stop. When I started playing again, I forgot to check the crew management page to see if the slots for the DG crew where there. And I keep my save folder short unless I think that problems might occur. Do you think when I get back to home port from this patrol, purchase a deck gun like I had before, place it in the position, check the crew management page to see if anything changed and if everything looks good, go out 100mn. Save the mission and close the game. (I always wait about one minute before exiting the game for the files to be written.) Restart the game. And return to home port and purchased the combination again to see if it works this time?
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote