SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-20-15, 07:46 AM   #76
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I'm seeing no evidence of trolling, simply a forum member creating a forum post stating what in their opinion the subject matter is identifiable as.

To each their own.....everyone is entitled to an opinion.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-15, 02:00 PM   #77
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Rockstar, if I wanted to troll I'd have made a derogatory remark about the Second Amendment in my opening statement, or gloated about how we don't get mass shootings as frequently in Europe or something like that.
Calling this action what it is, a terrorist attack, is hardly trolling.
Your comment and opinion has nothing to do with the current laws or facts. You identified an action based on a personal knee jerk emotional reaction.

Its no different than the mobs knee jerk reaction calling a cop a racist without knowing any facts of the case either IMO.

IF you want to come here and say someone is this or someone os that atleast wait until ALL facts of the case are in and those in authority have determined what the crimminal should be charged with.

If you were right then yippee you win the cookie. Otherwise IMO you are just trolling and being divisive and gossiping.

However even though I could care less what the mob thinks, you are entiled to an opinion. If you want to call the criminal a domestic terrorist without having any facts go right ahead. Its only your opinion, as for me I'll call him Santa Claus. Both opinions serve absolutley no purpose and IMO are about as useless as teets on a boar hog.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-15, 02:32 PM   #78
gregorm
Watch

Downloads: 15

White nationalist shoots nine black people in a church. How can that not be terrorism?

Ft. Hood shooting and all of the black on white violence aside, this was DOMTERR.

I understand that many people are very upset about the ongoing black on white violence that is totally ignored by the mainstream media. I get that. It makes me furious as well.

But what has that got to do with the price of tea in China?
gregorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-15, 02:53 PM   #79
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorm View Post
White nationalist shoots nine black people in a church. How can that not be terrorism?

Ft. Hood shooting and all of the black on white violence aside, this was DOMTERR.

I understand that many people are very upset about the ongoing black on white violence that is totally ignored by the mainstream media. I get that. It makes me furious as well.

But what has that got to do with the price of tea in China?
about 8 an 1/2 to 9 cents per pound

Why are two long time members even discussing the threads title

We the people needed to discuss this tragedy so where's the problem?

Forgive already even the FBI is investigating the terrorist seed thought.
Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-15, 02:53 PM   #80
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
You identified an action based on a personal knee jerk emotional reaction.
I identified the action with a man killing nine people in a church.

Does that mean I consider the Sandy Hook murderer a terrorist too? Yes, yes it does. Mental illness does not excuse murder. If anything it gives those people who have mental illnesses and haven't shot up schools or churchs a bad name. I know people who suffer with depression, but they haven't shot anyone or flown an aircraft into a mountain or indeed hurt anyone other than themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Why are two long time members even discussing the threads title
I really do not know.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-15, 03:44 PM   #81
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

OK, some is convinced its terrorism and find article that support their standpoint.

Some say its not and do the same as persons who say its terrorism

Some say something different.

I don't know what it is..maybe it is terror, maybe it ain't and maybe it is some kind of terror.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-15, 06:32 PM   #82
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
OK, some is convinced its terrorism and find article that support their standpoint.

Some say its not and do the same as persons who say its terrorism

Some say something different.

I don't know what it is..maybe it is terror, maybe it ain't and maybe it is some kind of terror.

Markus
Old 06-20-15, 08:51 PM   #83
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

The US is much different than any other nation, our melting pot includes many races, beliefs and religions...........and it often runs over.

Not sure if the man is connected heavily to a hate group, but long as he acted alone and they weren't part of it in any way, not much you can do.

Course politicians stacking on for as many brownie points as they can.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-15, 11:38 PM   #84
Von Tonner
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
The US is much different than any other nation, our melting pot includes many races, beliefs and religions...........and it often runs over.
Not sure I would agree with you there Armistead. I can think of many countries far more diverse than the USA with regards race, beliefs, religion etc.

"Knowledge is like a lion:it cannot be gently embraced"
- South African proverb
Von Tonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-15, 06:30 AM   #85
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

One of the issues in determining whether an act is or ain't terrorism is the motivation behind the act. Sometimes motivation is easy to determine, sometimes it is hard. This is especially true with the mentally ill.

I would rather focus on the act itself and not the motivation.

This jerk went into a church and shot and killed some people. I really don't care whether he is a terrorist, freedom fighter, demented superhero, concerned citizen, righteous defender of freedom, or even just a dumbass from the South. He unlawfully, deliberately, and with malice aforethought committed multiple murders.

Let's just focus on that.

Why focus on whether he is or ain't a terrorist? If he is a terrorist will he be executed twice or receive 20 life sentences?

Is the prosecutor going to do his job extra extra well if the defendant is a terrorist than if he was a multi-murderer?

It is not like we really need the federal government to step in and find evidence that the state can't find. Should the federal government conduct their own investigation independently of the state? Sure, I think it is a good idea for the federal government to determine if this jerk acted alone or perhaps was involved in terrorist organization. But the state has a multi-murder case to investigate.

I am also against the designation of "hate crime". It really should not make any difference if someone kills a little old lady because

1. She was there
2. She had money
3. She was of a particular race
4. She was of a particular culture

The crime was in the killing... not in the motivation behind the killing

"Mr. Jones, since this court has determined that the little old lady's race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or any other protective status was not involved in the motivation of why you hacked her to death, this court will be a little more lenient with you. We are only giving you the death penalty. Consider yourself fortunate that your motivation was not based on a protected class or the court would be forced to deal a much more harsh penalty."

Old 06-21-15, 06:59 AM   #86
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post

The crime was in the killing... not in the motivation behind the killing

"Mr. Jones, since this court has determined that the little old lady's race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or any other protective status was not involved in the motivation of why you hacked her to death, this court will be a little more lenient with you. We are only giving you the death penalty. Consider yourself fortunate that your motivation was not based on a protected class or the court would be forced to deal a much more harsh penalty."
Yea. That pretty well sums it up.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-15, 07:04 AM   #87
Oberon
Lucky Jack

It's a fair point Platapus, and terrorist or no terrorist the guy is a homicidal nutjob and should rot in a supermax for the rest of his natural (I say this rather than the needle since the punishment is longer lasting, rather than a quick and relatively painless death).
It is important though that we don't (and when I say we, I don't just mean people here, but everywhere) use mental illness as an excuse for these sorts of actions, or indeed come to associate mental illness with radical actions just as some associate Islam with terrorism.
It is important to help people with mental illness, just as it is important to help people avoid Islamic extremism, and so on. Hopefully in that way we will help to reduce the number of domestic terrorist incidents.

Is that me with an agenda? Perhaps, but it's an agenda to try to stop more shootings like this from happening.
Old 06-21-15, 09:01 AM   #88
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Why focus on whether he is or ain't a terrorist? If he is a terrorist will he be executed twice or receive 20 life sentences?
Been wondering that myself. Well said.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-15, 01:15 PM   #89
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post

It is important though that we don't (and when I say we, I don't just mean people here, but everywhere) use mental illness as an excuse for these sorts of actions, or indeed come to associate mental illness with radical actions just as some associate Islam with terrorism.

It is important to help people with mental illness, just as it is important to help people avoid Islamic extremism, and so on. Hopefully in that way we will help to reduce the number of domestic terrorist incidents.
The numbers are sobering ...

http://www.thekimfoundation.org/html...tatistics.html

Quote:
Mental Disorders in America
Mental disorders are common in the United States and internationally. An estimated 26.2 percent of Americans ages 18 and older or about one in four adults suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year.
http://america.aljazeera.com/article...ss-prison.html

Quote:
There are 10 times more mentally ill Americans in prisons and jails than in state psychiatric hospitals, a report published Tuesday April 8, 2014
The problem is getting worse not better ... the sanity of the law makers is to take away guns or to legislate gun laws so a mental patient can do no harm to society using a gun.

Dynamite, hammers, saws, knives, swords, rocks are yes, but guns are on the list to eliminate the legal right to obtain a gun.

The click of an empty gun is a pleasant sound to the one being shot at, but what caused the click in the mind of the person doing the shooting?

A judge in Houston, Texas, at a man's sentencing for shooting for killing his best friend, asked the young man why he did it.

The answer: "Because it looked so easy on TV"

330 million people in the USA need help from it's elected law makers, not just this mentally ill shooter named Roof.
Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-15, 02:02 PM   #90
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Not sure why so many have their panties in a bunch, surely Obama's henchmen will send some mercs out to off some so called white trash bikers and the scales will balance once again.

Tags
shooter