Closed Thread

Old 03-17-23, 06:55 PM   #10381
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
"Caesar Flickerman is the host for the Hunger Games. He is famous for turning any conversation around for the positive, and is known to change the color of his lips, hair, and eyelids for each Hunger Games."
I despise the "Hunger Games" and all this HBO crap, but you got a point
Stanley Tucci's brilliant portrayal of Caesar Flickerman was primarily that of a die-hard regime loyalist and propagandist who, in the face of inhumanity and cruelty, cynically led the sacrificial lambs to the slaughter and feigned compassion when in reality he was just a murderous pig.

I like the films and the books, a lot. They really struck a chord with me, and I think in some ways our societies are actually slipping in the direction of Panem, generally speaking. When social unrest broke out in Asia, Malaysia I think it was, and the crowds showed the stubborn gesture of defiance of the Panem rebels, the military saw that as so dangerous and potentially threatening that they cracked down on them, ultra-hard even by their already harsh standards. The comparison may not be exact, but the social unrest in the world and the growing alienation between governments and the governed is moving in the direction of the model of civilisation presented in the Panem series - including the role of the media in controlling and calming, entertaining and deceiving the masses.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-17-23 at 07:11 PM.
Skybird is online  
Old 03-17-23, 09:20 PM   #10382
Skybird
Soaring

The time of disillusionment has come even for Ukraine.

https://www.politico.com/newsletters...diers-00086944

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...tion-shortage/

Quote:
“If you have more resources, you more actively attack,” the senior official said. “If you have fewer resources, you defend more. We’re going to defend. That’s why if you ask me personally, I don’t believe in a big counteroffensive for us. I’d like to believe in it, but I’m looking at the resources and asking, ‘With what?’ Maybe we’ll have some localized breakthroughs.”

“We don’t have the people or weapons,” the senior official added. “And you know the ratio: When you’re on the offensive, you lose twice or three times as many people. We can’t afford to lose that many people.”

[...]

His unit withdrew from Soledar in eastern Ukraine in the winter after being surrounded by Russian forces who later captured the city. Kupol recalled how hundreds of Ukrainian soldiers in units fighting alongside his battalion simply abandoned their positions, even as fighters for Russia’s Wagner mercenary group pressed ahead.

After a year of war, Kupol, a lieutenant colonel, said his battalion is unrecognizable. Of about 500 soldiers, roughly 100 were killed in action and another 400 wounded, leading to complete turnover. Kupol said he was the sole military professional in the battalion, and he described the struggle of leading a unit composed entirely of inexperienced troops.

“I get 100 new soldiers,” Kupol said. “They don’t give me any time to prepare them. They say, ‘Take them into the battle.’ They just drop everything and run. That’s it. Do you understand why? Because the soldier doesn’t shoot. I ask him why, and he says, ‘I’m afraid of the sound of the shot.’ And for some reason, he has never thrown a grenade. … We need NATO instructors in all our training centers, and our instructors need to be sent over there into the trenches. Because they failed in their task.”

He described severe ammunition shortages, including a lack of simple mortar bombs and grenades for U.S.-made MK 19s.

Ukraine has also faced an acute shortage of artillery shells, which Washington and its allies have scrambled to address, with discussions about how to shore up Ukrainian stocks dominating daily meetings on the war at the White House National Security Council. Washington’s efforts have kept Ukraine fighting, but use rates are very high, and scarcity persists.

“You’re on the front line,” Kupol said. “They’re coming toward you, and there’s nothing to shoot with.”

Last edited by Skybird; 03-17-23 at 09:30 PM.
Skybird is online  
Old 03-18-23, 06:11 AM   #10383
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Where exactly did Zelensky commit a war crime, or even several?

Did he give an order for ten thousands of children to be separated from their parents, deported and displaced?
This is what Nazi Germany did, and Serbia tried to later.
Precisely!

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 03-18-23, 06:18 AM   #10384
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Yeh that quote sort of spoiled it for Ukraine imo, I still back them, but I see that as a threat to any country that does not support Ukraine.
A lot of countries are just plain scared of Russia!!
Early signs of desperation me thinks

Old 03-18-23, 06:28 AM   #10385
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
China's lethal aid could prove to be a "game-changer" for Russia in Ukraine, even in small quantities, a US-based expert has warned. Dr Jonathan Ward, founder of Washington-based think tank the Atlas Foundation, has said the West must confront them in both Europe and the South China Sea, while telling Western companies must urgently cut business ties with China before it is too late.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...f93e81e1&ei=15
Chinas greatest weakness is its reliance of trade with the west.

Old 03-18-23, 06:49 AM   #10386
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-18-23, 07:23 AM   #10387
Exocet25fr
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 254

An arrest warrant is issued against Russian President Vladimir Putin by the International Criminal Court in the Hague.

Winston Churchill (Dresde bombing) ok he is dead!, when for Ukrainian in Dombass, USA in Vietnam, Guantanamo, Iroshima, Nagasaki, Bush in Irak and Israel....

CPI and OTAN are ridiculous.....
Old 03-18-23, 07:44 AM   #10388
Skybird
Soaring

Nine years of war.

Today marks the ninth anniversary of the occupation of Crimea by fascist Russia in violation of international law.
Old 03-18-23, 02:05 PM   #10389
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-18-23, 02:10 PM   #10390
Dargo
Admiral

Downloads: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
China's greatest weakness is its reliance of trade with the west.
With China's economy struggling, Xi wants to prevent the region from aligning too much with the United States on trade and investment restrictions affecting China. Xi Jinping's concern is not Russia or Ukraine but Western Europe, ultimately trying to give the Germans and French the impression that he has given it a chance. For Ukraine, China has long been a potential lifeline with enough influence over Russia to influence the war. Zelensky, encouraged by Washington, spent months trying to hold talks with Xi. He even sent his wife Olena Zelenska to deliver a letter to the Chinese delegation requesting a meeting at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. It is unlikely that China would risk supplying Moscow with arms and ammunition unless the Russian armed forces were on the verge of collapse. Beijing is willing to support Putin, but no more than necessary to help him stay in power and maintain a united front against the West.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
A victorious Destroyer is like a ton against an ounce.
Old 03-18-23, 02:21 PM   #10391
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-19-23, 05:53 AM   #10392
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

The Finnish volunteer fighter whose AMA I translated in post #10213 appears to be back in Ukraine (or he never left, idk).
He posted a photo of him in a hospital, likely having been wounded in the recent mortar attack on a Finnish patrol few days back. He says his family jewels and limbs are all intact, so all is well.

He also mentions he's got engaged to a Ukrainian woman who is in the UKR army and that he plans to stay in Ukraine after the war.
Old 03-19-23, 07:54 AM   #10393
Skybird
Soaring

^ There must be more things in life than just war. Good luck to them.
------------------------

Why the West is afraid of a Ukrainian victory.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2023/02/21...id-revolution/

Last edited by Skybird; 03-19-23 at 08:09 AM.
Skybird is online  
Old 03-19-23, 11:36 AM   #10394
Skybird
Soaring

I cant help it, I cannot point finger at details but - the man they now photograph and film on Crimea and in Mariupol - that is not Putin. I look at him, and something just is not right. I cant say what it is, but I am certain for my personal view at least. That is not Putin.
Old 03-19-23, 11:56 AM   #10395
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I cant help it, I cannot point finger at details but - the man they now photograph and film on Crimea and in Mariupol - that is not Putin. I look at him, and something just is not right. I cant say what it is, but I am certain for my personal view at least. That is not Putin.
I looked at two video clips with Putin the first where he visit Crimea the other where he is visiting occupied Mariupol.

First video - Crimea

Second video Occupied Mariupol

His face/head is more round visiting Crimea, while his face is more small visiting Mariupol.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online  
Closed Thread