SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-12-20, 09:50 PM   #1
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

It's not important at all if you don't use mods. The alternative method is to install the game to the new E: drive Library folder, but you might have to un-install it first. No matter which way you go, it does take a while to accomplish... that is just the nature of Steam. Those files that you delete in the "manual" method of moving everything, are re-created after the move, so you do need a lot of hard drive space. Steam stays in the Program Files folder (for the most part), but the game and necessary Steam files for the licensing are in the new Library folder.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-20, 10:42 PM   #2
ironkross
Lieutenant

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
It's not important at all if you don't use mods. The alternative method is to install the game to the new E: drive Library folder, but you might have to un-install it first. No matter which way you go, it does take a while to accomplish... that is just the nature of Steam. Those files that you delete in the "manual" method of moving everything, are re-created after the move, so you do need a lot of hard drive space. Steam stays in the Program Files folder (for the most part), but the game and necessary Steam files for the licensing are in the new Library folder.
Thanks for the info and clarification PB.
I may leave as is for awhile. I just spent 2 days just making SH4 work again. That was enough tinkering for this week!
I'll move after my current mission is over.
Old 04-05-21, 03:20 PM   #3
Sosondowah
Watch

Downloads: 21

Starting today, I am encountering the same issue (see attachment). I wasn't even able to take a screenshot, I had to do a picture with my phone.

When I try to start the game normally, nothing happens and this message appears when I try to run the program as an administrator. I have the 1.5 version of the game, the "old" version, not Steam.

I've tried to take privileges, to drop security and so on, nothing helps. Did anyone found a solution for this? I mean a real solution, not a workaround.

https://ibb.co/XVsrdLP

It's funny, I am supposed to be the administrator of my PC, good or bad, but it seems there is a some big brother in a higher plane watching over my safety.

Sosondowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 05:24 PM   #4
propbeanie

Windows 10 and the 'modern' computing world demand a bit more of a person seeking to run 'legacy' software these days...

Read through this, and change the Properties setting of the SH4.exe file:
SH4 won't start after recent Win10 update

Old 04-06-21, 02:21 AM   #5
Sosondowah
Watch

Quote:
Windows 10 and the 'modern' computing world demand a bit more of a person seeking to run 'legacy' software these days...

Thank you, but it doesn't work, I just did that.

Old 04-06-21, 06:30 AM   #6
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosondowah View Post
Thank you, but it doesn't work, I just did that.
I'll ask again. After you logged in as an admin? As in did you open up the accounts page and see that there account actually has admin rights. There have been instances where Win10 updates have removed those rights.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-21, 07:24 AM   #7
Sosondowah
Watch

Yes, it works from the Administrator account, but that account is not customized. Also, it works perfectly from a user account on my other desktop, with the same OS and updates. But it doesn't from this PC from the regular user account.

Old 04-11-21, 09:39 PM   #8
propbeanie

From Page 1:
Quote:

What is "unsafe" about changing the High DPI behavior of an app? or setting its compatibility to something other than Win10? The game is put in a "sandbox" inside of Windows, even on the Home edition (one address space), but especially on a Pro version (multiple address spaces available). Windows 10 wants to "help" you with the "scaling" of all apps, but SH4 has no clue how to allow Windows to do that. SH4 can't even share the audio stream, much less the video stream. It is an old, "legacy", DirectX v9.0c game... kind of like some of the "legacy" members around - o-l-d... present company included...

Old 04-12-21, 12:01 AM   #9
Sosondowah
Watch

propbeanie, just in case your above message was meant to be directed to me: it's not safe for your computer to have UAC disabled, which is USER ACCOUNT CONTROL.

In my particular situation, that is the first and mandatory required step to do in order not to receive that crappy red message. Any other attempt failed and I have tried some.

And only the second step is to change the proprieties of the. exe file.

Last edited by Sosondowah; 04-12-21 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-13-21, 08:51 PM   #10
propbeanie

You shouldn't have to disable UAC to run SH4.exe - You have your computer set to log-in on restricted privileges. As 3catcircus mentioned, you can log-in on the admin account and change the settings for your "normal" account to run SH4.exe as an administrator by right-clicking on the SH4,exe file, by use of the Compatibility tab on the Properties page, and using the "Change settings for all users" and then change the settings as alluded to in previous posts. "OK" your way back out, log-out of the Administrator account, and log back into your "normal" account, and see if it won't allow you to run the program now. You should be set to "Run this program as an administrator" on the Properties page...

Old 06-25-21, 03:40 PM   #11
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

I have just posted in general comments about this - I am getting the red screen too. Will reinstallation fix this problem. Its currently residing on my E Drive which I use mainly for games.

The 'elevated' system looks complicated but will try it if I have to
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-21, 12:20 PM   #12
Sosondowah
Watch

Just in case anyone is still giving a damn on this issue ...

This is how this particular registry key should look like:

https://ibb.co/SXMgG5d

And this is how the SH4.exe file proprieties should be:

https://ibb.co/mXFkKpJ

Old 06-25-21, 04:14 PM   #13
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

On advice from a win 10 forum I did the following:

Search box, regedit and follow this path;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System

Open system and look opposite for enableLUA. Click on this and you will see on the pop up a rectangle with a 1 it it. change this to 0 And click OK. Close this down, close down the pc and then boot it up again. The problem was fixed on mine and I went straight into the game.

The problem was caused by a recent windows feature upgrade which has screwed many pc SH4 gamers up and probably others. I have asked an insider to speak to MS and kick them up the (cough). Telling them off for fixing something which was not broke.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-21, 07:18 PM   #14
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
On advice from a win 10 forum I did the following:

Search box, regedit and follow this path;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System

Open system and look opposite for enableLUA. Click on this and you will see on the pop up a rectangle with a 1 it it. change this to 0 And click OK. Close this down, close down the pc and then boot it up again. The problem was fixed on mine and I went straight into the game.

The problem was caused by a recent windows feature upgrade which has screwed many pc SH4 gamers up and probably others. I have asked an insider to speak to MS and kick them up the (cough). Telling them off for fixing something which was not broke.
I used this for FS9, but I had UAC deactivated. FS9.exe continues to don´t work. My SH4 and SH5 work fine with the latest update of W10, with and without UAC (the enableLUA entry in the registry). But MSFS2004 (FS9) is out, and I don´t know how to make work it. Died.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-21, 07:54 AM   #15
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Why You Shouldn’t Disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows
https://www.howtogeek.com/124754/htg...t-disable-uac/