SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-23-07, 10:25 AM   #16
EAST
Sparky

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Destroyer Command isn't the only game to offer command of a ship. Enigma does as well. You can command historical ships, as well as a couple of one off ships like a German converted Flower class corvette (historical evidence exists) against very good submarine AI.

Depth charges, torpedo runs, anti-aircraft, anti-ship; if you haven't tried it then you are missing a compelling experience.

Note: Many simmers here are thrown off by the alternate history, particularly our British friends (they lost WWI in Enigma), however, we didn't just throw together some ill-conceived and fantasy based history; we researched real history, found critical points of divergence in real history and followed those.

For all of Enigmas (no budget) mistakes, omissions, and choices, it was made by people who love the era, are knowledgeable about it, and devoted years to creating it. The add-on will give you the ability to change how any ship behaves, how the weapons perform, reload times, etc. Craft your own missions or campaigns and, if you choose, we'll even convert your 3ds Max models to the format needed to run inside the game. Not to mention the add-on will remove the cd check and copy protection.

Enigma isn't facile and it isn't dull; if you aren't trying it because of the naysayers, you are missing out.

Destroyer Command is worth buying because any product that isn't complete garbage and is in this game space is worth supporting.

Kelly 'East' Asay
Tesseraction Games, Inc.
Old 10-23-07, 04:12 PM   #17
Sea Demon
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 33

Yes. I finally went out and bought Enigma. It is a very enjoyable game. I would recommend both Enigma and Destroyer Command. For different reasons. Both give a different perspective of command, have different goals, but both offer unique gaming experiences. In all honesty, I'm glad I own both of them.
Sea Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 01:43 PM   #18
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsa
For you Steve.

DC is an open canvas to virtually any gun based naval sim

Horsa, are these mods ready? :hmm:
Old 10-30-07, 07:26 AM   #19
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 3

Very hard to give a clear cut answer to that.

Obviously interest in something like this is going to be pretty limited because of the era chosen and a somewhat "old hat" game engine. Currently I've a fairly laid back approach to the whole thing, which includes avoiding a situation where I make myself a hostage to a timetable.

Having said all that the "plan" is to release bundles of assets in stages, so the gaming environment is functional, but develops and expands with each release. The bundles will use placeholders a lot.
The "Raiders of the Deep" approach is perhaps the closest to this that I can think of. There are differences of course. RaidersDeeep has its own game engine and is also more innovative.

I'm under no delusions about this being any sort of cutting edge supermod that's going to set the world alight. Its an indulgence on my part to satisfy an old need to create a WW1 naval environment. DC/SH2 has a lot of scope for enhancement and despite its age and limitations can produce a more than acceptable gaming experience.

For general information :-
Its part of a project called Iron Seas which has its own forum here
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=226

horsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 07:50 AM   #20
PhilM
Swabbie

Downloads: 25
Default How come the water looks so good

Those screen shots by Horsa

I just installed DC for the first time since it came out.

Couldn't stand the dark water then and I still can't now, but I'm going to try to ignore it and concentrate on game play.

So whats the story with the dark ocean. I have seen some other shots here with lighter colored water also.
PhilM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 07:24 PM   #21
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Don't get it then. Don't get it now unless for 2 bucks or less.
Old 06-23-11, 12:50 PM   #22
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2

Get Hires ocean and wakes at { 2/3 mods } sorry I don't have link right at hand. They have plenty of mods here to dress it up, would be a little more fun to get campaigns for the Heavys.
yubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-11, 10:20 PM   #23
PhilM
Swabbie

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubba View Post
Get Hires ocean and wakes at { 2/3 mods } sorry I don't have link right at hand. They have plenty of mods here to dress it up, would be a little more fun to get campaigns for the Heavys.
Thanks yubba, got em but haven't tried them yet.

I tried to edit the water2.tga file myself in PSP ( well it looked like the dark ocean file to me) and replaced the original, but it was still the same old dark ocean when I run DC again.

I'm not a modder. Am I missing something in trying to get my edited tga file to show.
PhilM is offline   Reply With Quote