SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-14-11, 12:35 AM   #3826
SS-0 Sub-Zero
Seaman

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deceptiboat View Post
The new US secret project: X-688F class Flying Submarine

The ballistic missile hit, and destroy the whole fleet

This is what will happen if you launch a ballistic missile under the keel of a ship
Never messed up with a ballistic missile by the way how do you make the LA sub flying? and What a blast from the Ballistic missile throwing the ship into the sky
SS-0 Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 01:44 AM   #3827
deceptiboat
A-ganger

Downloads: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-0 Sub-Zero View Post
Never messed up with a ballistic missile by the way how do you make the LA sub flying? and What a blast from the Ballistic missile throwing the ship into the sky
Increase the speed of the LA then dive to the maximum depth then blow ballast, your submarine will fly
My completed X360 game: Battstat:Pac & Mdwy, TF:ROTF&Wr Fr Cybrtrn, AC I&II&Brotherhood, Tom Clancy's HAWX 1&2, Ace Cmbt 6, Mass Effect I&II, MotoGp 09/10&10/11, The Saboteur, Fallout 3&NewVegas, Halo 3&Reach, AVP, Far Cry 2, Lost Plnt 2, BF:BC 2, COD:MW 2&Blck Ops, SplntrCll:Cnvctn, Mafia II, MOH, Vanquish, Nrt:Ult.Ninj Strm 2, StrWrs:TFU II, Drgn Age II, Homfrnt, F1 2010, Crysis 2,And Many More
deceptiboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-11, 12:59 PM   #3828
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Wildcats doing CAP.

Last edited by Armistead; 04-16-11 at 04:46 PM.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-11, 09:47 PM   #3829
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

Armistead those planes look an awful lot like Brewster Buffalos and not Wildcats.

Old 04-16-11, 10:48 PM   #3830
Armistead
Rear Admiral

I'm not even sure the game has Buffalos as they were hardly used after Midway. The Buffalos front doesn't narrow like the Wildcat, but they do look somewhat alike. Both the Wildcat and Buffalo had the rear metal canopy to glass conversion, so you could find that on both depending on type.

This is a Wildcat..

Edit....Upon further review looking at other SS's they do look more like Brewsters as they don't have the tapered nose, can't really see it in the SS here so I just said Wildcats since I took that SS in 44. In the ME, nothing for a Buffalo, but a generic fighter and I'm pretty sure that's it in the SS. The ME doe's contain a Wildcat fighter bomber with the tapered nose, those in my SS don't have it....so you might be right. Course it's a game and the game uses this possible Buffafo through the war, which would be wrong.

Either way, you're more right than wrong, so I'll stand corrected on the tapered nose itself.

Last edited by Armistead; 04-16-11 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-16-11, 11:11 PM   #3831
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

This is a Brewster Buffalo.

This is a F4F Wildcat. The main differences are the canopy, tail and engine.
Old 04-17-11, 01:06 AM   #3832
Armistead
Rear Admiral

I agree, the Wildcat has a tapered nose. Just the game uses the Brews through the war which is wrong, they weren't used on carriers after 42.

I didn't realize the Brewsters were in service long enough to go from the yellow tail to the red and white, but they probably did.

If I recall, they weren't even used on carriers at Midway, seems the army flew them at Midway. I believe Wildcats were carrier planes then because Thach flew one, but I'm weak on planes...

I guess it was the Hellcat that took over after the Wildcat... I've flown in several warbirds at airshows, the Hellcat was awesome.
Love to fly in a P51, but $300 for a 15 minute flight in a Hellcat was enough, P51 rigged for an extra was $2000 for 30 minutes last airshow....and it flew non stop all day, that's a hell of a business.
Old 04-18-11, 07:35 PM   #3833
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

The yellow tail, fuselage band and cowling were pre-war carrier colors. The landing gear on the Brewster was too weak for carrier ops, so they were goven to the Marines as usual. If the Navy can't or won't use them, give 'em to the Marines. The upper wing surfaces were bright glossy chrome yellow for hi viz reasons over open ocean, or in case of a forced landing in the water. Your squad mates could fly cover until a seaplane got there (hopefully).

January 5, 1942
National Aircraft Insignia were returned to both right and left, upper and lower wing surfaces. Rudder markings were changed to 13 Red and White horizontal stripes.

May 15, 1942
The red disc in the center of the National Aircraft Insignia and horizontal red and white rudder striping were eliminated.

Here's a cool little link explaining the bright pre-war colors for the different carriers, and squadrons on the carriers. http://www.cybermodeler.com/color/usn_preww2.shtml

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-11, 07:43 PM   #3834
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Another very huge difference the Buffalos have rounded surfaces and the F4F has much more squared surfaces and is much less "stubby" looking.Sadly generally speaking the Buffalo was pretty much a complete failure as a fighter.Seems like Brewester had bad luck designing war planes they made a few other naval single engine aircraft that where all generally mediocre.

You know the Finns flew some Brewesters in WWII and they did not perform so badly in their hands as they did the US the Dutch also flew them in some in their colonies but with pretty bad results the Buffalo was pretty much bait for the Zero.

As Hylander says above the Navy did not like them much so I assume the ones that other nations flew where ones that the Marines did not get or Brewsters attempt to sell their desgin to a different customer as a land based fighter.

The Brewster Buffalo the kid that always gets picked last during school team sports at it tries.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 10:39 PM   #3835
Anthony W.
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 130

Elco vs ADCAP

Anthony W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 10:48 PM   #3836
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

Nice video.. but relax with moving the camera lol, my eyes hurt a little
Old 04-21-11, 11:35 PM   #3837
Anthony W.
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post
Nice video.. but relax with moving the camera lol, my eyes hurt a little
Yeah - I agree. Too bad I don't know how to use moviemaker, so thats all raw footage
Old 04-22-11, 04:51 AM   #3838
chrysanthos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 488

i just want so bad a myoko cruiser playble then i will stop complaining...
chrysanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 04:49 AM   #3839
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
I'm not even sure the game has Buffalos as they were hardly used after Midway. The Buffalos front doesn't narrow like the Wildcat, but they do look somewhat alike. Both the Wildcat and Buffalo had the rear metal canopy to glass conversion, so you could find that on both depending on type.

This is a Wildcat..

Edit....Upon further review looking at other SS's they do look more like Brewsters as they don't have the tapered nose, can't really see it in the SS here so I just said Wildcats since I took that SS in 44. In the ME, nothing for a Buffalo, but a generic fighter and I'm pretty sure that's it in the SS. The ME doe's contain a Wildcat fighter bomber with the tapered nose, those in my SS don't have it....so you might be right. Course it's a game and the game uses this possible Buffafo through the war, which would be wrong.

Either way, you're more right than wrong, so I'll stand corrected on the tapered nose itself.
In the manner of Stymie from the Little Rascals:

"Dems Brewsters what is Brewsters."
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 01:25 PM   #3840
Anthony W.
Grey Wolf

The most obvious tell is the landing gear

It all obvious to me tho. I fly IL-2 combat flight sim

Proud Ford Mustang owner

"Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" - Admiral David Farragut

Run silent - run deep - keep the baffles clear - targets front and center.

Private pilot and history buff

Tags
screenshots