SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-29-18, 11:57 AM   #1
Captain Hammered
Seaman

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Default Yay, I have WoS!!! Now just a few questions...

Hallo folks - I picked up SH5 a loooong time ago, tried it a couple of times, said 'meh' and went back to SH4. But since 4 is now practically unplayable I decided to turn my attention to 5.

The downside is I bought the mess on Scream so most of the mods (WoS included) couldn't be used.
Nevertheless I found the vanilla game to be excellent - unlike SH4 one has a real sense of presence on the sea; long time spent in TC1 is greatly encouraged - it takes longer, is more intimate; you develop a genuine connection to your boat and crew. (And apparently the interior of a Type VIIB is exactly the same as the interior of a Type II...who knew? lol)

At any rate; I finally mustered up the patience to muckle my way through the convoluted process of getting WoS to work and have finally got it running.
Folks, I am GOBSMACKED; this is incredible! BRILLIANT work - while I found vanilla to be excellent (broken campaigns notwithstanding) this upgrade truly takes it to another level - marvelous!

I have had many questions, but have, slowly, bit by bit, been working my way through the system and have figured almost everything out. Only a couple of things remain, and this is what I would like to ask about.

The big one is determining the draught of the target - I love that the ship types have been vastly increased; quickly found the ship reference and was easily able to identify how to determine distance; that was easy. What I can't find, however, is any way to determine a ship's draught - kind of important when setting torpedo run depth. I have guessed on most of my attacks, guessed wrongly in most cases (lol); is not having draught data historically accurate or is there some way to determine it?

The second question is a slight adjustment I would like to make to my own personal game: that '5 degrees rudder' is just about useless; I would love to change it to either 10 degrees or make the command cumulative - i.e. 3 keypresses = 15 degrees, 4 = 20 etc. I doubt that is possible but how would I find the appropriate setting to adjust that keypress?

Thanks folks; wonderful work!
Captain Hammered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-18, 12:07 PM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Captain Hammered

Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Tutorials And Other Information Links In My Signature Below

Quote:
The big one is determining the draught of the target
Recognition Manual shortcut key E.

If you add the optional ships identification mod you will see the ships draught automatically and then you can place where you want the torpedoes to hit.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-18, 01:10 PM   #3
Captain Hammered
Seaman

Hi there, thank you - I found the recognition manual right away; I think it's absolutely fantastic.
I do have a ship recognition mod (named ERM in my JSGME); I left it out because I wasn't certain it was compatible with Wos - is that the one you mean?
Well - given the ease with which JSGME works; I suppose it's no problem at all to throw it in there and see if it works; thanks for the suggestion - I just wonder if it's compatible given the vast difference in the new ships from the old. Guess I'll find out
Edit:
Chuckle - trying to sink Polish minelayers had me screaming at the screen - they're so small that even with minimum depth set the fish were still underrunning until I switched to magnetic pistols. Did a little better with what was called a Rawlipindi; I remembered its pre-WoS draught and nailed her pretty solidly.

Thanks for your help - having tons of fun here

Another edit: Welp; that wasn't it lol - I put ERM in and it killed my TDC; not what I hoped for

Last edited by Captain Hammered; 01-29-18 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-29-18, 11:11 PM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

For your '5 degree rudder' problem: You can change to conventional dials when chosing the SH3 UI style in the 'OptionFileEditorViewer', you can freely set any degree you want and hit INS key to get mid-rudder again.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-18, 05:29 AM   #5
Captain Hammered
Seaman

Thanks much - that ought to be a big help.

Aaand FACEPALM TIME! lol; I FINALLY figured out what THEBERBSTER meant. When hitting 'E' I had seend the ship recognition sheets: "Frachter" "Frachter_02" etc. I hadn't seen the rec. manual's tab appear at the side of the screen. I just saw it now LOL.
Thanks folks; I think that was the last of my questions and successfully solved; thanks to you.