SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-21-21, 03:54 AM   #1
Delfi
Sailor man

Downloads: 74
Uploads: 0
Exclamation Regular Menu Sounds Soft Quiet Sounds In Game

What do I need to do to fix this? I have everything up in the sounds setting yet crew sounds like they're whispering in game. They aren't. I have tried running without Discord loaded. I have tried running in compatibility mode. It actually does not help the sound issue and makes the game less stable. The only mod I am running is TMO 2.5. It does not seem anyone else has posted on this issue. I am sure I am not the only one. I use Razer Synapse 2.0 with headphones.

Please note that I have ALREADY TRIED running in compatibility mode and as Administrator. Neither fixed the problem. I do not want to have to turn my volume up to 100% just to play this game then have to turn it back down for everything else.
Delfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-21, 05:26 AM   #2
pabbi
Subsim Overlord

Downloads: 421

Did you hit the "z" key, it activates "silent running". If so just hit it again.

On the top of the world
pabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-21, 12:50 AM   #3
Delfi
Sailor man

Nope. That's not the problem.
Old 11-22-21, 10:33 AM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Have you checked the Options / Sound from the main menu?

I usually turn the Music down so I can hear the crew, and I'll notch the Radio volume down a pinch else that has a tendency to blast you out of the conn also. I do not alter the 3D Sound Channels, because that causes issues on every one of my computers, so I don't know if that is old sound tech that is no longer valid in the 'modern' Windows, or what. It does take some fiddling though to get a balance with the rest of your system. If that's not it, and you're not on Silent Running as pabbi suggested, then look to see if you have something with your sound system customized for the game.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-21, 02:17 AM   #5
Delfi
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Have you checked the Options / Sound from the main menu?

I usually turn the Music down so I can hear the crew, and I'll notch the Radio volume down a pinch else that has a tendency to blast you out of the conn also. I do not alter the 3D Sound Channels, because that causes issues on every one of my computers, so I don't know if that is old sound tech that is no longer valid in the 'modern' Windows, or what. It does take some fiddling though to get a balance with the rest of your system. If that's not it, and you're not on Silent Running as pabbi suggested, then look to see if you have something with your sound system customized for the game.
I've done all that as well. I can turn everything down and still barely hear the crew unless I turn my PC's volume all the way up which I don't want to do because I play other games and use Discord. As far as I can tell, this is not an issue that can be solved by playing with options and there are no mods I see that increase the volume beyond the in-game options. That is what I need. Louder sound files I guess, but I have no idea where to get those. I fixed the issue once, but can't remember what I did. I just know it didn't involve the in-game options settings. Literally the in-game sounds, without changing anything in options, are half the volume of the menu. That shouldn't be.
Old 11-23-21, 09:36 AM   #6
propbeanie

Are you using HDMI, and maybe the audio is going that route? and not through the sound card?

Old 11-23-21, 03:12 PM   #7
Delfi
Sailor man

Quote:
Are you using HDMI, and maybe the audio is going that route? and not through the sound card?
I use a USB headset. Just a thought. I noticed the same sound issue in Silent Hunter 5. Could it be in the way that 3D sound is being handled? If any of the old game devs are in the community, they might have some insight.
Old 11-23-21, 07:58 PM   #8
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfi View Post
I use a USB headset. Just a thought. I noticed the same sound issue in Silent Hunter 5. Could it be in the way that 3D sound is being handled? If any of the old game devs are in the community, they might have some insight.
If that box is check marked in the main options or the office options menu... I'd strongly suggest unchecking it...

Myself, I don't use it.

From what I understand of it... that is supposed to work, with those who have... surround sound set ups... which, I don't. So, I don't activate it in options.

Hope this info helps...

M. M.
Old 11-27-21, 09:30 PM   #9
Delfi
Sailor man

Can't find the check mark for turning off 3D sound in-game. I've just decided to work around it and use the equalizer to manipulate volumes between apps.
Old 11-27-21, 09:45 PM   #10
propbeanie

It's the same as above:

The slider controls the number of channels. All the way to the left turns them off, all the way to the right is like six or eight channels. My game will eventually crash if I set it anywhere other than the two, where it lays there in the pic. I do not know how they instituted their "3D Audio" in the game, but I do not think it complies to any of today's standards. Speaking of which, you have USB headphones, so is there a control panel for them? Are they emulating "surround sound"? or doing any "spatial" simulations? This is an old DirectX v9.0c game, and is rather primitive by today's standards. I get blasted out of the room by my game. I have the computer turned up, and have to back off to 16 on the Windows sound for SH4, or bring the Master down to about 1/4 of what you see in the pic.

Old 11-28-21, 12:54 AM   #11
Delfi
Sailor man

Quote:
It's the same as above:

The slider controls the number of channels. All the way to the left turns them off, all the way to the right is like six or eight channels. My game will eventually crash if I set it anywhere other than the two, where it lays there in the pic. I do not know how they instituted their "3D Audio" in the game, but I do not think it complies to any of today's standards. Speaking of which, you have USB headphones, so is there a control panel for them? Are they emulating "surround sound"? or doing any "spatial" simulations? This is an old DirectX v9.0c game, and is rather primitive by today's standards. I get blasted out of the room by my game. I have the computer turned up, and have to back off to 16 on the Windows sound for SH4, or bring the Master down to about 1/4 of what you see in the pic.
Actually they do emulate surround sound. It works...mostly for modern games. Still leads to some confusion in games like War Thunder. Like "what direction is that jet engine sound actually coming from?" or "why couldn't I hear that T-34's engine?"
Old 11-28-21, 01:21 AM   #12
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfi View Post
Can't find the check mark for turning off 3D sound in-game. I've just decided to work around it and use the equalizer to manipulate volumes between apps.
The box (that I was referring to) is that 1 tagged "realistic sound travel time".

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 11-28-21 at 01:53 AM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-21, 11:42 AM   #13
propbeanie

That "Realistic Sound Travel Time" on my systems also results in troubles. SH4 is very "sensitive" when it comes to 'sound', in that Windows wants to 'virtualize' the audio, whereas the game wants a set address to find things and wants to manage it all itself. Also, Windows does NOT like it when the audio stream changes bit-depth or format (DRM), and SH4 wants to manage, and is full of mono & stereo, 8k - 44k audio in wav, mp3, and ogg formats, all depending upon the "source" of the audio call. All that said, a headphone that is attempting to take basically a "stereo" feed from the game and convert it, might very well be confusing the issue. Is there a way to turn that off temporarily Delfi, and just have "normal" left/right from the cans, for a test? Some of your 'important' game audio might be being confused as 'background' audio for the rear channels.

Tags
issue, sound