SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-07-21, 06:08 PM   #151
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revus View Post
So, might have found an issue.
Its 1 Apr 43, 0700. 12-12N 138-16E. Just finished a whole night of surface attacks on a NE bound convoy (1 DE, 4 AK's) (quite the experience, tell yall later). While in pursuit, the sound of the engines changed and sounded distorted in some odd way, like static in addition to the normal sounds yo hear while going full speed. Once in position ahead of convoy, tried to manually track on sonar, but I couldnt change bearing on it. It was stuck at 000r, 000t and wouldnt turn. Automatic "follow" commands worked fine, but I couldnt follow them on my own, making submerged evasion a hassle.

Finished attack with a coup de grace on a dead-in-water HAKUSIKA MARU last night, sound issue still happening. saved and exited.
Came back to it today, same issue.
Had an issue last patrol where gunfire and impact noises were non-existent. I have a feeling it has something to do with the EAX mod.

Heres my list:

TMO
Nav Map MakeOverTMOUpdate
NavMApMakeOverTMOUpdatePatch
AlliedShips
Ships
EAXsoundsim_without_WebstersManeuver_TMO
TMO2_different_smoke
IJN_Radar_Fix_2
GatoLadder
TMONewDepthChargesType2
TorpexTorpedoesV3
SEA_LIFE

Took no damage from guns or DC's, but if its "broke" in sim, may just go back to port and end patrol for "maintenance". If its a mod list issue, hopefully I can salvage this one.

*edit: tried in a quick mission, and it works without issue, went back into saved game, still broke...

That is strange, definitely going to look into it. Honestly, highly doubt it is eax sound mod, have used it for years with no such problems, ever. The sonar stack and gauges stuck bug is usually caused by saving game when other units are nearby, especially other submarines. FOTRS also had same bug with AI subs as well. I did not have the bug in testing, nor have encountered on patrol.

This patrol, was this a reload after saving? Were there any other units in the area? Not just visual but anything audible on hydrophone, even if very distant or radar? Of course it is possible were just outside your detection, but were nearby. Were your engines stopped when saved? I remember the bug from years ago, all the dials, including sonar would lock up and one preventive step was to make sure engines were at all stops when saved. The sim, especially when modded has always been weird about saves. I've noticed on all computers have ran SH 4 with various mods from RFB to TMO, when sim reloads with mod weird things can happen....ranging from bugs like the one you encountered, to not crediting ships sunk or objectives achieved before save, or the "high in the water" ship bug where some ships are sitting high in water, where their props are just out of the water and thus can't propel themselves, or the torpedo bug where every torpedo will be a dud, run deep, or no prematures happen. Issues are not with every save, but does happen from time to time.

Thank you for the detail error report, especially with date/time and coordinates, will make it easier to track down any possible issues. I have a patrol running currently, do not like to tab out of the sim as can cause issues, but when back in port will run it down.

I look forward to hearing about your repeated night attacks on the convoy. Really is one of my favorite things in the sim. Find myself and a convoy in a large piece of open ocean, pursue for days, sometimes a week before, repeat attacks. Going on the coordinates, you are in area about 362 NM NNE of Palau Islands, roughly north of Ulithi and Palau in area Flower Bed. Nice open area of ocean. Were you ordered there or ?
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-21, 06:42 PM   #152
Revus
Mate

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
That is strange, definitely going to look into it. Honestly, highly doubt it is eax sound mod, have used it for years with no such problems, ever. The sonar stack and gauges stuck bug is usually caused by saving game when other units are nearby, especially other submarines. FOTRS also had same bug with AI subs as well. I did not have the bug in testing, nor have encountered on patrol.

This patrol, was this a reload after saving? Were there any other units in the area? Not just visual but anything audible on hydrophone, even if very distant or radar? Of course it is possible were just outside your detection, but were nearby. Were your engines stopped when saved? I remember the bug from years ago, all the dials, including sonar would lock up and one preventive step was to make sure engines were at all stops when saved. The sim, especially when modded has always been weird about saves. I've noticed on all computers have ran SH 4 with various mods from RFB to TMO, when sim reloads with mod weird things can happen....ranging from bugs like the one you encountered, to not crediting ships sunk or objectives achieved before save, or the "high in the water" ship bug where some ships are sitting high in water, where their props are just out of the water and thus can't propel themselves, or the torpedo bug where every torpedo will be a dud, run deep, or no prematures happen. Issues are not with every save, but does happen from time to time.

Thank you for the detail error report, especially with date/time and coordinates, will make it easier to track down any possible issues. I have a patrol running currently, do not like to tab out of the sim as can cause issues, but when back in port will run it down.

I look forward to hearing about your repeated night attacks on the convoy. Really is one of my favorite things in the sim. Find myself and a convoy in a large piece of open ocean, pursue for days, sometimes a week before, repeat attacks. Going on the coordinates, you are in area about 362 NM NNE of Palau Islands, roughly north of Ulithi and Palau in area Flower Bed. Nice open area of ocean. Were you ordered there or ?

Know what? Im sure you're right. It seems I saved just after suracing, RIGHT before finding these guys on SJ. I've had nearly all of the rest of those "save glitches" before. Especially before knowing most of the fun idiosyncrasies of SH4. Quite a few MARUs are on the bottom that got no credit. At this point, I pretty much have a checklist for saves:
-Surfaced
-Control Room
-Moving
-No contacts near (as best as possible)

I was able to scan manually with the mouse wheel however. Its still tough though. not able to visualize where Im searching with a dial, but it works.

This was actually on my way to a photography mission in the Yellow Sea that Im most likely going to not accomplish. Ill probably get back into the patrol tonight and chase them down. Seems like they went back to 030, but I have a feeling the DE is going to be trailing back to prevent that.

Not sure about the gun noises though. tried that in a few scenarios & no change
I put this particular attack on the main SH4 page for a detailed readout.

Last edited by Revus; 10-07-21 at 07:04 PM.
Revus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-21, 07:04 PM   #153
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revus View Post
Know what? Im sure you're right. It seems I saved just after suracing, RIGHT before finding these guys on SJ. I've had nearly all of the rest of those "save glitches" before. Especially before knowing most of the fun idiosyncrasies of SH4. Quite a few MARUs are on the bottom that got no credit. At this point, I pretty much have a checklist for saves:
-Surfaced
-Control Room
-Moving
-No contacts near (as best as possible)

I was able to scan manually with the mouse wheel however. Its still tough though. not able to visualize where Im searching with a dial, but it works.

This was actually on my way to a photography mission in the Yellow Sea that Im most likely going to not accomplish. Ill probably get back into the patrol tonight and chase them down. Seems like they went back to 030, but I have a feeling the DE is going to be trailing back to prevent that.

I put this particular attack on the main SH4 page for a detailed readout.

Ah, most likely the issue but to be sure, I will investigate upon return to port.

Yellow Sea, man that is a long haul from Brisbane lol. One of those silly issues, where game does not update orders when transfer. I am going to post instructions on how to easily edit orders here soon, for future reference.

I would just sink ships in boundaries of Brisbane's sphere of operations and not worry about the photo mission to Yellow Sea. Not sure where it is in Yellow Sea, but good as pretty much did every port to stop such crazy missions, chance you will get there and fine a subnet and most likely a surfaced and submerged minefield preventing your from achieving the recon(those orders are often pure hollywood lol, like the Tokyo Bay ones lmao) or killing you. Sinking ships makes up for not achieving the orders, won't affect your standing. Not worth it in my mind, but up to you.

I plan to change up the recon missions in future versions, will conduct recon missions subs actually did, such as recon of landing beaches before invasion.

Since you are commanding Silversides, check this out

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=250572

Last edited by Bubblehead1980; 10-08-21 at 06:34 AM.
Old 10-09-21, 05:16 AM   #154
Mav87th
Watch

Downloads: 89

Hi Bubblehead - what an immense and beautiful work you have done.

Thanks again

One question though. Have you implemented OTC in the overhaul?

Best regards
Mav87th
Mav87th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-21, 08:06 AM   #155
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav87th View Post
Hi Bubblehead - what an immense and beautiful work you have done.

Thanks again

One question though. Have you implemented OTC in the overhaul?

Best regards
Mav87th

Thank you, glad you are enjoying it. There is more to come.

I have not implemented OTC into the mod and while am open at some point as an optional mod, I have no plans to fully incorporate it into the mod. If someone would like to make OTC compatible with the TMO Update, that is fine with me.

However, I would encourage to try the mod without first as I incorporated my Real Scopes mod into the sim. These mods were designed to enhance manual targeting and work within the sim to overcome the shortcomings of the stadimeter and mast height issues. I adjusted some mast heights in the .cfg files of the various ships and enhanced the zoom level to a more reasonable level (scopes were underpowered previously, especially the observation scope). There is a clear difference between the way the attack scope and observation scopes look based on current light outside...observation had a larger head and was better for viewing.

I play without map contacts probably 60-70 percent of the time and my current career in Salmon class have went without SJ radar(just got it in port will have for next patrol) and when torpedoes actually work lol, i have had great accuracy sinking 1-2 ships patrol, few misses due to plotting errors, all torpedo malfunctions. I included in the download the early war scopes mod to be used on Salmon, Sargo, Porpoise, and S Class boats, as well as late war scopes for 1945 (green reticles an night scope as some US boats did get them in 45 along with ST radar, which is being worked on for future release, but is already included on the Tench Class.

In later war with boats like the Gato, you have the 3D TDC and radar ranging unit which is a HUGE advantage. If one is not aware of how to use it, definitely look the mod up and learn, it is not complicated really and it is a game changer. As said, would encourage to try as it is.
Old 10-10-21, 09:37 PM   #156
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

guess i got too get the old sugar boat out and give it a run guess i can change the capt pictures and posters without messing the mod up
les green01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-21, 04:19 AM   #157
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by les green01 View Post
guess i got too get the old sugar boat out and give it a run guess i can change the capt pictures and posters without messing the mod up

Enjoy and let us know how your patrol goes. Careful though, S boats are not the tanks they used to be, were revised to be a bit more reflective of their limitations. Definitely do not dive as deep as they used to.

Are you talking the capt pictures and posters in the office while in port? If so, then yes, should be no issues if worked previously with TMO.

If are referring to the interior mods, not sure. I do know vickers interior mods are not compatible with TMO as this time, but he has said TMO versions are in the works.
Old 10-11-21, 10:48 AM   #158
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Enjoy and let us know how your patrol goes. Careful though, S boats are not the tanks they used to be, were revised to be a bit more reflective of their limitations. Definitely do not dive as deep as they used to.

Are you talking the capt pictures and posters in the office while in port? If so, then yes, should be no issues if worked previously with TMO.

If are referring to the interior mods, not sure. I do know vickers interior mods are not compatible with TMO as this time, but he has said TMO versions are in the works.
good that what i want to hear bring on the fun and torture use to a s-class mod that made them closer to real life yep in the office both work good so got betty grable on the desk nice pin ups on the walls
les green01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-21, 12:08 PM   #159
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by les green01 View Post
good that what i want to hear bring on the fun and torture use to a s-class mod that made them closer to real life yep in the office both work good so got betty grable on the desk nice pin ups on the walls

Yes, do not see why would be any problem with the office photos and pictures, nothing has changed regarding those. Enjoy
Old 10-12-21, 08:10 PM   #160
Ghost Dog
Planesman

Downloads: 114

where can I find: TMO2_Different_smoke_and_splash_effects by Vickers03 ??

free image host
Ghost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-21, 08:43 PM   #161
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
where can I find: TMO2_Different_smoke_and_splash_effects by Vickers03 ??

Check the folder in the TMO Update download labeled Docs w Required and Optional Mods. Next, check the subfolder labeled OptionsMods_TMO Update BH. The different smoke and shell splash mod is in the there.
Old 10-13-21, 10:21 AM   #162
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 810

Hello everyone .. I don't know why .. I tried a lot of things .. in the graphics settings .. other smoke mode ... there is nothing to do I have "MDR" smoke I start to tiring with the sh4 series .. are these problems especially since in the past I didn t have these problems more I play with approximately the same settings from one mod to the other is on the same machine ... but before I was under window7. .d elsewhere I had much better results .. at all levels is less problems .. if someone can help thank you I'm window10 nvidia 1080 gtx

Here I had to start a career detecting my first convoy this smoke is so horrible that I would not continue if I do not find a solution ...hey Bubblehead1980 I had already raised the problem some time ago I told you that I would come back to it it's done ...
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-21, 11:52 AM   #163
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_Maximus_U669 View Post
Hello everyone .. I don't know why .. I tried a lot of things .. in the graphics settings .. other smoke mode ... there is nothing to do I have "MDR" smoke I start to tiring with the sh4 series .. are these problems especially since in the past I didn t have these problems more I play with approximately the same settings from one mod to the other is on the same machine ... but before I was under window7. .d elsewhere I had much better results .. at all levels is less problems .. if someone can help thank you I'm window10 nvidia 1080 gtx

Here I had to start a career detecting my first convoy this smoke is so horrible that I would not continue if I do not find a solution ...hey Bubblehead1980 I had already raised the problem some time ago I told you that I would come back to it it's done ...

Has to be something on your end, machine, settings, if you are running an environmental mod not included etc? Smoke does not like like that on my end, when I am running a patrol. Could be something with windows 10. I am not sure, I have a PC I use specifically for SH 4 and does not have windows 10. The smoke mod is somewhat older, its from vickers03 but again does not look quite like that on my end. Ill get a screen shot next time on patrol.

Having said that, don't think its a reason to not run a patrol lol its not terrible, not how it should look and again not how looks on my end, but the advantages of having the smoke outweigh a minor cosmetic glitch no? Smoke mod is a game changer, can actually track targets visually at long range as real subs did, and with some improvements I have made to AI crew visual sensors ( bit ridiculous you can see the smoke at ten miles but the lookouts cant) for the upcoming patch, it it is great.
Old 10-13-21, 01:46 PM   #164
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 810

Default problem smoke

I remind you that I have tried everything in mod combinations and I don t use third party mods only yours ... everything is genuine. Something else in Luzon the convoy that I spotted had a strange behavior he sailed very slowly 5 to 6 knots surrounded by a good dozen destroyer while they themselves were only 5 or 6 tankers are cargo ships they all seemed to be waiting for something thing ... moreover the destroyers are particularly aggressive ... submerge at more than 170 fts at more than 5000 nautical miles
they came straight towards me there were 3 ... how could they have spotted me while I was sailing in silent running ..
I really like your work ... which I find really more fascinating ... the periscope is much better ... I also like the atmosphere .. during the day pay attention to aviation ... bravo I can't wait to see this patch .. with the vision of your corrections .. that I was able to read in the other thread .. especially the smoke to correct. What version of the game are you playing? ubi or steam or other ...
[MODS]
TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5_UpdateBH Revised Final=1
Nav Map MakeOverTMOUpdate=2
NavMapMakeOverTMOUpdatePatch=3
AlliedShipsTMO=4
ShipsforTMO=5
FJB Color Navigation Map=6
Sobers Compass mod_color=7
EAXsoundsim_without_WebstersManeuver_TMO=8
TMO2_different_smoke_and_splash_effects=9
TMONewDepthChargesType95=10
IJN_Radar_Fix_2=11
BATTLEFLAG_CONNING_STINGRAY_SS186=12
but I had made a pose because of this smoke me I like when all works with onions if not that m agasses ...

Last edited by Kal_Maximus_U669; 10-13-21 at 02:02 PM.
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-21, 02:54 PM   #165
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_Maximus_U669 View Post
I remind you that I have tried everything in mod combinations and I don t use third party mods only yours ... everything is genuine. Something else in Luzon the convoy that I spotted had a strange behavior he sailed very slowly 5 to 6 knots surrounded by a good dozen destroyer while they themselves were only 5 or 6 tankers are cargo ships they all seemed to be waiting for something thing ... moreover the destroyers are particularly aggressive ... submerge at more than 170 fts at more than 5000 nautical miles
they came straight towards me there were 3 ... how could they have spotted me while I was sailing in silent running ..
I really like your work ... which I find really more fascinating ... the periscope is much better ... I also like the atmosphere .. during the day pay attention to aviation ... bravo I can't wait to see this patch .. with the vision of your corrections .. that I was able to read in the other thread .. especially the smoke to correct. What version of the game are you playing? ubi or steam or other ...
[MODS]
TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5_UpdateBH Revised Final=1
Nav Map MakeOverTMOUpdate=2
NavMapMakeOverTMOUpdatePatch=3
AlliedShipsTMO=4
ShipsforTMO=5
FJB Color Navigation Map=6
Sobers Compass mod_color=7
EAXsoundsim_without_WebstersManeuver_TMO=8
TMO2_different_smoke_and_splash_effects=9
TMONewDepthChargesType95=10
IJN_Radar_Fix_2=11
BATTLEFLAG_CONNING_STINGRAY_SS186=12
but I had made a pose because of this smoke me I like when all works with onions if not that m agasses ...

I am not sure about your smoke issue, I do not have the issue on my end and first have heard of it. I will check again this evening when am at home
and will consult with some of the modders here. The mod list you posted looks fine.

I have a hard copy of SH4 (disc) and mod was built using it, not steam version . Not sure if that could be the issue.

Can provide exact date and time in the sim of you encounter please?

Looks like you are in early war say Dec 1941,and ran into Aparri , Philippines invasion force. They are supposed slow down to simulate the launching of landing craft and barges. Daihatsu type landing craft spawn and head ashore, simulating the landings. However, if player happens to be within 20 NM or so at time they are not supposed to do so, they will not spawn, quirk of SH 4.

Yes, the invasion forces tend to be large and well escorted as they were in real life.I used historical references/orders of battle to build the invasion forces, make sure each ship in the game represents a real life counterpart.

Yes, escorts are aggressive in TMO in general, it is something that sets TMO apart. In this case the , they are possibly a little more aggressive due to high concentration of skilled escorts guarding the invasion force., a high value target.

5000 nautical miles? I assume you mean 5 nautical miles or 5000 yards perhaps? No way the detected you at 5000 nautical miles lol.

How did they detect you? Well can think of several ways, without knowing exact details of approach, and attack etc.

#1 and most likely is the escorts or an aircraft spotted you before you submerged, or an aircraft observed you while you were at periscope depth or before went deep, went to silent running, and destroyers came looking for you based on the aircrafts report. Also, the warships such as the light cruisers have better visual sensors than merchants and even escorts, this reflects the excellent optics japanese had for gunnery and especially night fighting. So possible the light cruisers in the invasion force spotted you and reported to escorts, who came looking for you or some combination of all.

Those light cruisers have scout planes that spawn from them, usually single engine floatplanes like the "JAKE" or "PETE" . Likely the aircraft overhead spotted you while submerged, especially before you were deeper.

In the clear and calm waters of the pacific, enemy aircraft in TMO can spot you when submerged , even in early war at some deeper depths, depending on sea conditions. So a strong chance that a low flying aircraft spotted you while submerged and radioed your position, the nearby escorts came hunting for you.

A change in my update is that enemy escorts and aircraft will come from further away than before to look for you if you are contacted. I don't want to disclose the exact number, but it is much higher than the absurdly low 15 minutes it was previously . Meaning before the update, if a enemy unit received a call about your submarine , but was 16 minutes away would not respond, but if was 15, or 14, they would come lol. Now, they will come from hours away to look for your submarine as sub hunters really would.

#2 is in the calm seas, possible ideal sonar conditions for skilled escorts , especially when moving slow and they do not have noise of their own props and those of convoy affecting their passive listening ability. Perhaps they heard you before went to silent running and came to investigate. Of course if one hears you, reports it to others. So picking you up at 5000 yards or even 5 nautical miles is not out of the realm of possibilities. So many variables involved here.

Glad you are enjoying the mod, enjoying it myself. Yes, not having air search radar at start of war does add a certain element, hinders players daytime movements as running on surface is a huge risk. Then once obtain the SD air search radar, things change, as does when receive air search radar.