SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-25-21, 08:26 PM   #1
billkunert
Swabbie

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 won't start after recent Win10 update

I've been successfully running SH4 on a Dell Inspiron 15-5501 with a 10th gen I 7 and 12 gig of ram and 64 bit Win 10. Microsoft recently updated Win 10 and since then SH4 won't start. I've removed and reinstalled it with no success. I found a supposed cure on YouTube about changing thr resolution and that did nothing. I'm wondering if anybody else started having problems after a Win 10 update within the past week. Mine is a download version from Amazon and has the German campaign.
billkunert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-21, 10:52 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by billkunert View Post
I've been successfully running SH4 on a Dell Inspiron 15-5501 with a 10th gen I 7 and 12 gig of ram and 64 bit Win 10. Microsoft recently updated Win 10 and since then SH4 won't start. I've removed and reinstalled it with no success. I found a supposed cure on YouTube about changing thr resolution and that did nothing. I'm wondering if anybody else started having problems after a Win 10 update within the past week. Mine is a download version from Amazon and has the German campaign.
best advice: re-install SH4 in a non-Program Files folder.
Win10 is markedly different than Win7 and if you install SH4 in the default Windows folder it will not run properly.
try a folder like C:\UbiSoft\Silent Hunter 4\
any folder name will work as long as it is not the default Program Files.
good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-21, 01:51 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Win10 has been messing with me also lately. When using MultiSH4, the folder created for the Saved games don't always end up in the Documents folder, and are sometimes found in the root of the C drive. A few days later, OneDrive syncs, and presto-change-oh, there the folder is, in the Documents folder. Very strange, but only since I've gotten the "new" Windows... Messed with all of my web sessions also, change my program associations (again), and deleted stuff that I apparently didn't need anymore... extremely rude behavior.

But anyway, what I've been finding is that I have had to change the settings of the SH4.exe properties page more lately. I used to get by with none, or maybe one of the boxes ticked, depending upon the computer. Now I have to tick all of these on the one:

I never had to do the "Compatibility" before, but the new desktop machine I have now requires that, set to Windows 7. The laptop doesn't. Then there is the "Disable full-screen optimizations", which I now have to use on two of three computers, both of which have relatively new nVidia cards - but nothing fancy. The "Run this program as an administrator" is only needed on the laptop for whatever reason, and it does increase the UAC (User Access Control) interruptions much more frequently, but you do what you gotta do. Last, but certainly not least, I have had to click on the "Change high DPI settings" button on the same two desktops, and then click "Overide high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by: Application". Three computers, all three set differently now than before, and no two alike, all three intel...

It is easiest to get SH4 running if you set Windows to use the "native" resolution of your monitor, which windows will show as "Recommended". Then in the game, set it to the same resolution. The main fix for my newer computer is the "Disable full-screen optimizations", because Windows otherwise tries to makes things "prettier" and "in-focus"... which the game does that itself. But you'll have to experiment with them all. If all else fails, you could try to open the Data/ Cfg / Main.cfg file in a text editor, and set the resolution in there to match your computer:
[VIDEO]
Resolution=1920,1080,60,22
DynamicShadows=No
FullScreen=Yes
Synchronized=Yes
TextureResolutionHigh=Yes
Or even try setting the FullScreen=No

Still do what KaleunMarco suggests though...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-21, 08:49 AM   #4
Captain Dave
Officer

Downloads: 398
Uploads: 3

The latest Win10 service pack changed all my font and colors. It also deleted all my restore points.
Old 03-26-21, 03:18 PM   #5
billkunert
Swabbie

Downloads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
best advice: re-install SH4 in a non-Program Files folder.
Win10 is markedly different than Win7 and if you install SH4 in the default Windows folder it will not run properly.
try a folder like C:\UbiSoft\Silent Hunter 4\
any folder name will work as long as it is not the default Program Files.
good luck.

SH4 is in C:\UbiSoft\Silent Hunter 4. I changed the resolution in Cfg to match my computer, fiddled with the SH4.exe property settings(compatibility, etc. Still doesn't even try to start. Every thing worked fine until Microsoft installed a second March cumulative update KB5001649 on the 23rd.. I guess I could try removing that update and see what happens. I can't believe I'm the only person having this problem.

I removed KB5001649 - still doesn't work.

Went into config and set resolution 10 1024X768 and it starts. Set to 1920X1080 in game options and I'm up and running.

Last edited by billkunert; 03-26-21 at 04:00 PM.
billkunert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-21, 04:19 PM   #6
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Win10 has been messing with me also lately. When using MultiSH4, the folder created for the Saved games don't always end up in the Documents folder, and are sometimes found in the root of the C drive. A few days later, OneDrive syncs, and presto-change-oh, there the folder is, in the Documents folder. Very strange, but only since I've gotten the "new" Windows... Messed with all of my web sessions also, change my program associations (again), and deleted stuff that I apparently didn't need anymore... extremely rude behavior.

Still do what KaleunMarco suggests though...
PB, you have GOT to get off OneDrive. It is a moral and security imperative.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-21, 09:47 AM   #7
propbeanie

I am not on OneDrive. It is not installed on my computers. However, that is what Microsoft uses for the backup images it creates when doing Windows Updates now. They apparently retain said images also. Everybody that has Windows 10 now appears to be tied to OneDrive, whether they like it or not. You may or may not have a OneDrive folder on one of your own hard drives that is visible, but MS does use the "cloud" to back-up your files to, while it Updates your machine. If there is a problem with the Update completing, Windows will restore from the "cloud", and if they have a problem with that, they ask the User to verify which restore point they want to use, and if you have multiple computers on a home network, you better make certain which computer you are pulling their restore point for... This can really "trash" a person's computer, and MS will disavow any and all knowledge of their Impossible Mission team's existence...

Look at the recent spate of people "losing" their Save folders... I did a fresh install of SH4 the other day for testing what we hope is the final mix of FotRSU, and did a new MultiSH4 Save folder. That folder was NOT in My Documents, or anything even close to that folder initially - of which, I used Windows File Manager to point to a My Documents folder on the E: drive (a clue! a clue!!). The SH4 Save folder was hanging on the root of the C: drive... It took me a while to find it, because here I am trying to "test" the mod, and after a few tests, I wanted to clear the Save folder again to pull in fresh data... It took me ~forever~ to find it. Several days later, there is was in E:\Users \UserName \Documents, where it should have been to begin with. How? is what I want to know. Did Windows "sync" itself with my computer?? But with a different install, that Save folder has not moved to Documents yet... ??? But it sure looks like Windows 10 Update is using the "cloud". Maybe someone with more MS "top-secret" knowledge can enlighten us... ??

Old 03-27-21, 11:03 AM   #8
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Perhaps you should have a bit less paranoia Mr beanie and consider changing your account settings instead, that's enough piss taking for now.

Have a read of the link below and decide if you want a local account or a Microsoft one, from what I can remember of all this account and update nonsense it's that Win 10 Home editions and Win 10 pro editions are slightly different, that's up to the user to look into if you go down this path.

The Difference Between Local and Microsoft Accounts in Windows
https://www.lifewire.com/local-vs-mi...indows-3507003
Old 03-27-21, 11:18 AM   #9
propbeanie

I signed-up (having been a MS "Insider" at the time) for the Windows 10 previews, prior to the Release Candidates and "beta" versions. I really enjoyed their initial releases. I did the same thing for Windows 2000 and XP back in the day, but did not have enough time during either Windows 7 nor 8 to do the same. So I have an MS account, which automatically links all of my various copies of Windows 10 (two desktops, 1 laptop of mine, plus the 2 boys' computers), which is why I am basically stuck with that sign-in. My boys do not have the issue, since they use Local accounts. Such is life. I do still have a "Preview" version on the one computer, and I do still enjoy the "bleeding edge" of the OS game, though I can no longer afford the latest/greatest new hardware that I used to stay up with back in the 486 DX2-66 to Pentium days... - I do not "bad-mouth" Windows as much as I do Apple or even Linux anymore... - That is a good link there, and there are even several good articles and threads on some of the MS sites, of which I don't have any links to at this time... but you do have to wade through some of the pages of "automatic" replies there anyway... A person with multiple Win10 installs with MS account sign-ins, does have to be careful when it comes to the Updates, especially on a Home install.

Old 03-27-21, 12:19 PM   #10
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dave View Post
The latest Win10 service pack changed all my font and colors. It also deleted all my restore points.
I purchased a copy of Macrium just in case. I do a full backup monthly, a differential weekly, and an incremental every night.

Once I buy a new PC, I'm considering playing with my old one and installing Mint or Ubuntu instead of Windows - I understand that both SH3 and SH4 are able to run on Linux.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-21, 02:57 PM   #11
c6owboy
Nub

Downloads: 77
Default Windows User Account control blocks sh4 from running

I wish I could get a picture of the error message I bought a new laptop a few days ago SH4 won't run on it now. If I try to run it as administrator it says this application has been blocked from for your protection by an administrator contact the administrator . Microsoft messed with the application and browser protection smartscreen. Even if you turn the setting off it still blocks it from running.
c6owboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-21, 03:50 PM   #12
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6owboy View Post
I wish I could get a picture of the error message I bought a new laptop a few days ago SH4 won't run on it now. If I try to run it as administrator it says this application has been blocked from for your protection by an administrator contact the administrator . Microsoft messed with the application and browser protection smartscreen. Even if you turn the setting off it still blocks it from running.
Are you logged in as an admin?
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-21, 05:15 PM   #13
propbeanie

You most likely have to change the SH4.exe Properties, as illustrated above.

Old 03-28-21, 10:50 PM   #14
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

c6owboy! after a long silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-21, 03:38 PM   #15
Sosondowah
Watch

Downloads: 20

I am in the same situation, trying to launch the game normally nothing happens, and I receive this when I try to do it as an administrator.

https://ibb.co/XVsrdLP

It' doesn't work even with these two options off, so I guess I am no longer the master of my domain. I mean my desktop.

https://ibb.co/0GSBYdB

Maybe Microsoft has decided SH4 is a menace to society and it should be banned. And also, since most likely I am not able to take care of myself, they will take care of me and my cyber security against my will.

Honestly, I have been thinking for some time to become a Linux (Ubuntu) user, maybe it's a good time to make this step.

Last edited by Sosondowah; 04-05-21 at 03:51 PM.
Sosondowah is offline   Reply With Quote