SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-05-21, 12:07 AM   #1
TheCod
Watch

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Default Brand Noob Q's

Hi all,

SH IV and U-boat missions are at 75% off on Steam. Been trying to decide between these and U-boat for a while now. Decided to buy these, esp since my PC is about 8 yrs old. My Q's (for now!):

1. Can your add-ons & mods, etc on this site work with the Steam version?

2. I've read that patch 5 (1.5?) is needed to make the game worthwhile. Is that the U-boat missions? If not, is it available on this forum? Is is bought separately?

I have only been playing Silent Depth & the Crash Dive series, and I played Silent Service years ago for the Atari 800. I bought SS II from Steam but never played it. I realize there will be a long learning curve, and I'm in the busy time of the year for my work, but I couldn't say no to getting both these games for $5!

Thanks.
TheCod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-21, 01:11 AM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCod View Post
Hi all,

SH IV and U-boat missions are at 75% off on Steam. Been trying to decide between these and U-boat for a while now. Decided to buy these, esp since my PC is about 8 yrs old. My Q's (for now!):

1. Can your add-ons & mods, etc on this site work with the Steam version?

2. I've read that patch 5 (1.5?) is needed to make the game worthwhile. Is that the U-boat missions? If not, is it available on this forum? Is is bought separately?

I have only been playing Silent Depth & the Crash Dive series, and I played Silent Service years ago for the Atari 800. I bought SS II from Steam but never played it. I realize there will be a long learning curve, and I'm in the busy time of the year for my work, but I couldn't say no to getting both these games for $5!

Thanks.
Questions, answered....

1. Yes. Just have to make sure for which version of SH4 it is for, but... yes they will work. Other thing that needs to be made sure of, is following the directions for adding the mods in, make sure that you don't install either Steam or the game folder or Library as it is called, in either Programs folders in C drive.

Make sure to right click on the SH4.exe & uncheck the write only for it, so that the mods can work with it.

Make sure to use either a 4GB patch to assign the game 4 gigs of RAM access... or locate, download & use Large Address Aware or LAA as some refer to it... I, Myself... recommend LAA, as it is pretty simple to use. 3 step process & done.

Lastly, use of MultiSH4, if you are going to make & use more than 1 copy of SH4 and mod it. This tool, makes a separate game save folder for each modded copy of SH4...

2. Yes, Silent Hunter IV Wolves of the Pacific: Uboat Missions, is v1.5 & most mods now, rely on this version, in order to work.

On the aspect of having to grab both v1.4 to get v1.5, I am not 100% sure of... am thinking that it should work with just grabbing v1.5 only... as I did find it through the Steam search feature... listed with v1.4 as well... each with their own pricing...

Myself, I played Silent Service, but was on the original Nintendo system & got Me hooked on playing sub sims...

Hope this helps...

M. M.
Old 10-05-21, 11:48 AM   #3
TheCod
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Questions, answered....

1. Yes. Just have to make sure for which version of SH4 it is for, but... yes they will work. Other thing that needs to be made sure of, is following the directions for adding the mods in, make sure that you don't install either Steam or the game folder or Library as it is called, in either Programs folders in C drive.

Make sure to right click on the SH4.exe & uncheck the write only for it, so that the mods can work with it.

Make sure to use either a 4GB patch to assign the game 4 gigs of RAM access... or locate, download & use Large Address Aware or LAA as some refer to it... I, Myself... recommend LAA, as it is pretty simple to use. 3 step process & done.

Lastly, use of MultiSH4, if you are going to make & use more than 1 copy of SH4 and mod it. This tool, makes a separate game save folder for each modded copy of SH4...

2. Yes, Silent Hunter IV Wolves of the Pacific: Uboat Missions, is v1.5 & most mods now, rely on this version, in order to work.

M. M.
Does this mean that I should install the 2 games initially in a folder other than the default Steam folder series? I already have Steam installed it its default folder, but haven't installed the SH IV games yet.
Old 10-05-21, 01:51 PM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
Does this mean that I should install the 2 games initially in a folder other than the default Steam folder series? I already have Steam installed it its default folder, but haven't installed the SH IV games yet.
If you haven't invested in installing games, then I'd strongly recommend reinstalling Steam OUT of the default \Program files locality & reinstall outside of there. I did \Games\Steam itself in a 2nd HD I have installed & did the games library for Steam on the C drive in \Games\Steam\steamapps\common there... thereby, keeping any & all games out of Win's UAC clutches.

I know some do NOT have a 2 HD set up as I do... but, this should also work for a 1 HD set up, as well.

Win's UAC, doesn't like when folders & files in it's domain of either \Program files or \Program files (x86), messed with & using mods is well... is just that, dinking about in folders & files...

Hope this helps...

As for having to install both copies of SH4... Wolves of the Pacific & WotP: Uboat Missions... negative... just only need to install v1.5 only.

As previously stated, am unsure if with Steam that you have to buy both for v1.5 to work... but am thinking (again, not 100% sure on this, but strongly suspect that you don't...) that you should be safe in just grab/buying v1.5 SH4 only. Since both came up in the search, each with their own pricing for access to them. If you have the funds, & want to be on the side of caution, then by all means feel free to grab & buy both... just be sure to install SHIV-WotP:Uboat Missions v1.5, am assuming that you're looking to run with what... FotRS-U... which requires v1.5 to run properly.

M. M.
Old 10-05-21, 03:40 PM   #5
TheCod
Watch

Thanks. I've got several Steam games already installed, but I have installed a war game in another folder, but that might've been from a separate Gamersgate purchase. Stem's instructions for creating a separate install folder are outdated. It might be possible to move the install afterwards.

Steam did not allow purchasing the U-Boat missions without the SH IV purchase, but at $2.50/each...?
Old 10-05-21, 09:57 PM   #6
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
Thanks. I've got several Steam games already installed, but I have installed a war game in another folder, but that might've been from a separate Gamersgate purchase. Stem's instructions for creating a separate install folder are outdated. It might be possible to move the install afterwards.

Steam did not allow purchasing the U-Boat missions without the SH IV purchase, but at $2.50/each...?
At $5... perhaps 7 (after taxes/fees... whatever they (Steam) tacks on to the charge), not a bad deal...

M. M.