SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-30-20, 10:51 PM   #166
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Big thing with Windows 10 is to right-click on the SH4.exe and "Run as administrator". Same with the install. Staying out of Program Files is if you intend to mod the game.

LOL, who in the right mind would actually play this game stock without mods?

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-20, 08:54 PM   #167
Yorktown_Class
Lieutenant

Downloads: 64

Ahh ok will try that. Just any other folder then?
Old 10-31-20, 10:18 PM   #168
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: SH4 install folder...

Yorktown_Class,

I created a altogether separate folder in C:\

Then named it Games

I run SH4 from a Steam install, which for Me, I have Steam on a 2nd hard drive installed in the tower. I have the library for Steam, in that folder as follows:

C:\Games\Silent-Hunter\SH4-Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific

I then, create folders & name them accordingly to the mega mod I want to add to them, as an example 'Fall of the Rising Sun':

C:\Games\Silent-Hunter\SH4-Steam\steamapps\common\PH-FotRSU-EN

I create the folder, aptly named 'FotRSU-EN' in the \commons folder, then go into the \Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific folder & copy the guts of the game (after having ran it 1 time... and 1 time only, Vasily, to allow for it to do what is needed to for it to set up then that is the very last time I run that, as I use it as My pristine copy to use as a boiler plate for the other SH4's I want to mod out.) & paste the guts into that newly created & named folder... making sure to include in that folder, MultiSH4, JSGME, run the JSGME once, to allow for it to create the necessary 'MODS' folder.

I then, drop into that created MODS folder, the needed mods to run it as needed, then run JSGME to activate them After that, I take a moment & rename the SH4.exe to the mod name then right click & select the 'Send to desktop' option. I then right click on the SH4.exe I sent to desktop & go into properties, where I then set it to run as Admin & ensure the box is unchecked to read only (located on the General tab of properties) so that changes can be written in as needed.

I then, run the MultiSH4 & name it as PHF (for Me, this is FotRSU-EN, with the added mod Pre Pearl Harbor by fred8615 - I did have to do a bit of tweaking to it, to correct an issue I ran into... it may work just fine on others who add it in...).

Lastly, I then run Large Address Aware (I have this installed elsewhere on My main drive) & point it to where the SH4.exe is located, in sect. 1 listed as 'Select an executable' and set it to run it with 4 gigs of RAM, in sect. 2 listed as 'Large Address Aware flag'.. then click Save in sect. 3 listed as 'Commit Changes' then close that out.

After that, I then send a copy of JSGME to desktop, the same way I sent the renamed SH4.exe there. I keep these both together on desktop so as to easily keep track of them should I need to do any editing at all.

After that I then run it when I want to take a sub out.

Hopefully this helps you out...

M. M.

Old 10-31-20, 10:21 PM   #169
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Yes, it is best to alter the install folder, such that when you get to the part about the install path, and whether it has
C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific
or if you are using Steam
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific
or whatever, it is best to edit that path such that you have one of your own creation, such as
C:\Games \Silent Hunter 4... etc
or
C:\Ubisoft \Silent Hunter 4... etc
or with Steam
C:\Games \Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter 4... etc.
Whatever the case may be, just eliminate the "Program Files" references and have it install where you want. I even change the name of the game folder itself from Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific to something more concise, like SH4, or if I'm modding the game, I will name it after the mod I will apply later, and then use MultiSH4 to name the Save folder after the mod, but now we are getting into the Weeds of Complexity (aka: WoC), and that can really WoC a person up... get your feet on the ground first with a good install outside of Program Files, then go from there...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-20, 01:50 PM   #170
Navelintel
Mate

Downloads: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardius View Post
Hi guys,

Although I signed up for Subsim about 12 years ago, I didn't participate much, partly because I didn't have much to contribute, partly because my poor english.

The fact is that after many years without using SH4, I decided to reinstall it and, although the installation went well, when I accessed the simulator I could only see the Ubisoft logo and the introduction, after which my screen became black. As my version was the original 1.0 on DVD, I bought the most current version, the Gold. After uninstalling the old one and reinstalling the new one (v 1.5) I still had the same problem.

I have read a lot here, in the Ubisoft forums, videos on Youtube that partly solve the problem but only allow you to use it in window mode at a resolution of 1024x768, which for me is unacceptable.

Ubisoft's support was nefarious, because after opening a ticket they only gave me some generic links on how to activate the compatibility mode we all know.

So I was about to throw in the towel and uninstall it when it occurred to me to test the compatibility mode and I found the solution.

This simply consists of activating the compatibility with XP ServicePack 2 and, the most important thing: activate the box "Disable full screen optimizations"... and I already have SH4 working at maximum resolution and with the maximum configuration of all effects and visual improvements.

Well, excuse me for this long post and I sincerely hope that it will help you to enjoy this wonderful simulator again.

And if someone already proposed this solution and I missed it, I apologize.

Greetings and good sea for all

Gerard
Thanks for the tip mate!

After another recent MS sneak attack via their infamous Windows 10 ‘update’, both my SH3 and SH4 programs were again trashed due to a settings issue that would not allow me to launch either game after the initial introductions. But your suggestion, to check disable full-screen optimizations, worked like a charm. Not sure why MS even offers this feature (i.e., full-screen optimizations) as it was supposed ‘to boost gaming performance and deliver a borderless full screen for you to enjoy your games’. Au contraire, MS blew it again on this one.

BTW, I utilize Uplay or now it's called Ubisoft Connect to access SH4 Gold Edition, and agree based on my experience, Ubisoft’s ‘support’ is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle!

So, stay well and stay safe.

Navelintel
Navelintel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-20, 06:13 PM   #171
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navelintel View Post
Thanks for the tip mate!

After another recent MS sneak attack via their infamous Windows 10 ‘update’, both my SH3 and SH4 programs were again trashed due to a settings issue that would not allow me to launch either game after the initial introductions. But your suggestion, to check disable full-screen optimizations, worked like a charm. Not sure why MS even offers this feature (i.e., full-screen optimizations) as it was supposed ‘to boost gaming performance and deliver a borderless full screen for you to enjoy your games’. Au contraire, MS blew it again on this one.

BTW, I utilize Uplay or now it's called Ubisoft Connect to access SH4 Gold Edition, and agree based on my experience, Ubisoft’s ‘support’ is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle!

So, stay well and stay safe.

Navelintel
+1 on what PB said, especially the installation location. re-install somewhere other than the the Programs folder.

Good Luck!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-20, 06:07 PM   #172
Navelintel
Mate

Downloads: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
+1 on what PB said, especially the installation location. re-install somewhere other than the the Programs folder.

Good Luck!
I also understand for most, it's an irrefutable but essential tenet, to re-install SH4 anywhere but in the Programs Files as one would be fully aware of the consequences, especially if they’ve owned the game since 2007, for as long as I have . . .

Thanks.

Navelintel
Navelintel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-20, 11:01 AM   #173
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navelintel View Post
I also understand for most, it's an irrefutable but essential tenet, to re-install SH4 anywhere but in the Programs Files as one would be fully aware of the consequences, especially if they’ve owned the game since 2007, for as long as I have . . .

Thanks.

Navelintel
no offense intended.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-20, 03:23 PM   #174
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Default Windows 10 the "latest" build and SH4 new install from scratch.

I'm working with the FOTRSU team in order to help de-bug certain features and I decided to un-install Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific and do a clean re-install from scratch. I do have archived complete installations of SH4 updated to v1.5 so, what could go wrong?

On my first try, I was able to get SH4 v1 reinstalled from my legacy CD. I was unable, however, to get the SH4 v1.4 patch and the SH4 v1.5 U Boat Missions executables to "execute." The Windows 10 Overseer invisible administrator would not allow me to execute either patch. It was telling me that "This app has been blocked for your (my) protection. An ADMINISTRATOR has blocked you (me) from running this app. For more information, contact the administrator."
I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR and I'm attempting to run the patches "as administrator!

No matter, I have my archived copies, so all went well. When I started SH4, it did require me to activate my v1.5 U Boat Missions for which I had the key.

I'm a "tinkerer". I keep trying. While I was doing some other tinkering within a multi-SH4 folder, I came across another executable which popped up the same information as above. I'm thinking, what the hell, I used to be able to execute this applet.

I started tinkering around and ended up using Large Address Aware on the applet and it worked. So....

I decided to have another go around to install SH4 from scratch. I uninstalled SH4, then used CCleaner to clean up my registry files etc., did a restart and proceeded to re-install SH4, this time with v1.4 and v1.5 patches made Large Address Aware compatible. Lo and behold it worked! I no longer got the Windows 10 Overseer Invisible Administrator error messages when executing these treated .exe files.
Just for kicks, I tried to execute an untreated copy of the v1.4 patch and the Windows 10 mother-in-law would not let me...

So, the next time you un-install and re-install a fresh copy of SH4 from scratch, using the original CD, the v1.4 patch and the v1.4 U Boat Missions, treat them with the LAA first. It worked for me. This fix will probably work for other legacy apps and applets which are blocked for your (my) own protection.

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-21, 06:46 AM   #175
GalaxianFive
A-ganger

Downloads: 183

Help I don't know what happened but after over 2 years trouble free running of SH4 it suddenly won't run. I start it up and it brings up the activation screen asking for the disc code, then contacts the server and then says my activation codes have expired and to contact support! I have the original disc version with a downloaded copy of u-boat missions three installs on my G drive not in program files. Have contacted support and they requested an image of my owners file which I uploaded to them, am now waiting for them to get back to me. SH2, SH3, SH5 all run fine I can even get the original SH1 to run with dosbox! so annoyed as SH4 is my favorite game! Anyone else have this problem?
GalaxianFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-21, 11:24 AM   #176
propbeanie

Are you saying that the game was installed, and properly functioning, and that after a Windows Update, or some other such "update", that the game ceased to function and you now get that message for the license key, or is this a re-install and you cannot now get the U-Boat Missions Add-On to activate?

Old 01-21-21, 07:20 AM   #177
GalaxianFive
A-ganger

The game was installed and running great all 3 seperate installs worked perfectly. Now I get this activation message!
Old 01-21-21, 10:09 AM   #178
propbeanie

I have had similar issues with the U-Boat Missions Add-On, but only when re-installing... The computer I have with that install is sitting over in the corner of the basement, and I have not run SH4 on it in quite some time, since I have newer gear that runs it oh so much better now, thank you very much! I'll try to find some time today, and give it a whirl over there... My original copy of the U-Boat Missions Add-On download quit working (refused the license key) quite a few years ago though. I contacted Ubisoft Support when that first happened, and they gave me a link to a new version of the software, and a new activation code. That did work for another installation I did roughly three years ago. I was informed by Ubisoft Support at the time of getting the new download, that there was a limit as to how many installations would run from that add-on. I do know that they have recently updated their "connection" software (from UPlay), and you might be running afoul of that #$%@, which messed-up my SH5 install, and that took me several days to "fix", with their help. Have you heard back from Ubisoft yet? Back when I first had trouble, it took a total of 3 days to get things resolved. This last issue with SH5 took over 10 days, since they are so slow to respond. I also had to log into my Ubisoft account, of which I couldn't remember my log-in ID, much less my password, and log-in and check "communications" on a daily basis, since they seem incapable of sending external email, unless it fits into their schedule... Of course, getting support on 12+ year-old software is somewhat surprising... if it was MS, they would say "we dropped support for that fourteen years ago. You might try a user's group somewhere and see what they recommend. It is suggested that you upgrade to the latest/greatest, most expensive game you can find. Thank you for choosing MS. Now, go away."...

Old 01-22-21, 07:05 AM   #179
GalaxianFive
A-ganger

I'm still waiting for ubisoft to get back to me although it's only been 2 days. If the worst happens and I have to buy a new copy of SH4+U-BOAT, which is better for modding, buying from ubisoft or steam?
Old 01-22-21, 04:37 PM   #180
propbeanie

That is about as wide as it is long... With SH5, there was a "fix" for the Steam version, and now there is a "fix" for the Ubisoft version. You still can't play Sober's mod in either. His needs the disk version... SH4 it doesn't seem to matter, and the same with SH3. They both do copy fine to another folder for applying MultiSH and any desired mod. It is advisable though, to not mod the initial install of the game, since that is the one that both of those vendors point to when you go to "verify game files". I have both a Steam and a Ubisoft version of SH5, a Steam SH3 and a Ubisoft SH4, and I do not have issues with any of them anymore. The only troubles a person runs into with these old games on the newer computers, is Administrator rights and video settings. This kind of stuff can be very frustrating to get set correctly.

Lest I forget - The Steam "base" SH4 game is v1.3 of Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific. You cannot use the Ubisoft "Sh4v1.4Patch" to update the game. You also cannot use the Ubisoft "Uboat Missions AddOn", if you have one. You ~MUST~ use the Steam version of Uboat Missions AddOn to get to version 1.5 aka: Gold Edition of the game. Ubisoft only sells the "Gold Edition" anymore. To have v1.4 of the game, if desired, you need a DVD-ROM version of the game, and the Ubisoft version of UBoat Missions AddOn - which is no longer available...