SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-21-08, 02:43 AM   #196
skookum
Weps

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0

I would like to know if anyone has solved this white line around submerged objects bug yet. I am running an Nvidia Geforce 8800GS. I get the white garbage around the submerged edges of my vessel no matter what settings I pick in Nhancer. Really irritating.

MODS:
TMO
TMO S-boat engine fix
RSRD
RSRD patch
Old 09-21-08, 10:13 AM   #197
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

No fix that I know of. IIRC Nisgeis or Kriller2 where working on a fix, but this either didn't work out or is still being worked on. Don't think it's something you can tweak out in nHancer or something.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-08, 01:03 PM   #198
skookum
Weps

If it helps any, the artifacting only showed up after I installed TMO. Previously I was running RFB and Environmental 4.X with no issues.
Old 09-22-08, 01:51 AM   #199
skookum
Weps

Okay, so I am back to RFB with PE4. The white outline underwater went away. now I have a different problem. The volumetric fog shows up on top of my crew, so as to make my bridge crew appear transparent. I have heard of this problem before. Is there a solution and what is it?

Also, the clouds are moving way faster that they would in reality.

Last edited by skookum; 09-22-08 at 10:49 AM.
skookum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-08, 04:39 AM   #200
Arclight
Navy Seal

Err, far as I know, transparant crew is something you have to live with. Could try setting "AA Compatibility 20000000: EA Strategy Games" in nHancer, but don't know if that will do anything if you aren't using AA.

Cloud speed is something that is changed by PE4 (as far as I know). If it goes screwy, it could be because of high TC. Don't exceed x2048 TC.

Haven't been playing much lately, kinda awaiting new RFB release. Let's hope someone who is more up to speed on these issues has any suggestions. (wink wink)

Old 09-26-08, 04:31 AM   #201
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Well, I've tried everything here to fix the graphics for SH4. I'm running two EvGA GeForce 8800GTS 512s in SLI, and the only way I can get the sun flare and other things to look right is to turn off AA completely. Which then looks like **censored**. It really sucks as I built this rig with SH4, SH3, BoBII, and CFS3+O.F.F. in mind. The other three games work fine except SH3 which looks kinda weird on the 28 inch LCD widescreen, as I can't get the widescreen workaround to work right.

I had been running the stock 169.44 drivers that came on the disk for the vidcards, and updated to the 178.13 drivers today. The drivers work fine but seem to cap the frame rates at about 60 fps no matter what screen I'm in.

So if I play with AA on, the screen looks like a 16bit application running on a 32 bit monitor. As the colors look blocky, like Red Baron 3D on a modern system without glide mode. Or I guess the best way to explain it, as the sets below the horizen, you can see the colr bands in the sky as it changes from light to dark. As an example, there's a patch of light grayish blue then a darker band, and a darker band, and so on until the black of night. About 10 to 12 bands of color, as opposed to the smooth transition of color as some pics show.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 12:33 PM   #202
kwbgjh2
Bosun

Downloads: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylander_1314
Well, I've tried everything here to fix the graphics for SH4. I'm running two EvGA GeForce 8800GTS 512s in SLI, and the only way I can get the sun flare and other things to look right is to turn off AA completely. Which then looks like **censored**. It really sucks as I built this rig with SH4, SH3, BoBII, and CFS3+O.F.F. in mind. The other three games work fine except SH3 which looks kinda weird on the 28 inch LCD widescreen, as I can't get the widescreen workaround to work right.

I had been running the stock 169.44 drivers that came on the disk for the vidcards, and updated to the 178.13 drivers today. The drivers work fine but seem to cap the frame rates at about 60 fps no matter what screen I'm in.

So if I play with AA on, the screen looks like a 16bit application running on a 32 bit monitor. As the colors look blocky, like Red Baron 3D on a modern system without glide mode. Or I guess the best way to explain it, as the sets below the horizen, you can see the colr bands in the sky as it changes from light to dark. As an example, there's a patch of light grayish blue then a darker band, and a darker band, and so on until the black of night. About 10 to 12 bands of color, as opposed to the smooth transition of color as some pics show.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I assembled my rig in Sep 2007 just for SH4. Everything was great.
I dont know anything about SLI systems-- i have a single nvidia 8800 GTX. Just 2 comments:

1.) The Monitor thing is easy to explain. If you are like me the owner of a digital monitor, no matter if LCD or TFT, the FPS are limited to the monitors manufactured refresh rate which is always 60 hertz. If you would have a low budget graphic card you may see 25fps or so but you could use the worlds best graphic card---60 fps is the limit.

2.) Since 1.5 (U-Boat Misssions) i always had a crappy ingame graphic when i activate a mod. Sometimes i had CTD, sometimes the game was frozen, sometimes no chance to load a savegame. I installed EVERY nvidia driver that was released no matter if it was only beta. And four weeks ago i hit the jackpot, the beta driver 177.79 solved my problems. I sweare as long as i have this graphic card or the SH4 game i will never change this driver.

My advice: Download all nvidia drivers you can get and test them one by one. If you have Vista use the option to remove all driver software in the deinstall window before you test the next driver. I wish you all luck.

kwbgjh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 01:18 PM   #203
Doolittle81
Commodore

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwbgjh2
... I installed EVERY nvidia driver that was released no matter if it was only beta. And four weeks ago i hit the jackpot, the beta driver 177.79 solved my problems. I sweare as long as i have this graphic card or the SH4 game i will never change this driver. ...
I will say exactly the same...though in my case it was the 177.26 drivers, released a couple/few months ago, which solved ALL my problems. I've not tried any drivers since then..no need to do so!

I also agree that a Set FPS rate (usually 60 FPS, as in my case) is what you'll get with LCD...(I have a 24" Samsung widescreen Monitor). Actually, I've never understood why people insist on having FPS above 60 anyway, other than for benchmarking bragging rights. Does it really make a difference in any game? In an academic sense, I'm curious.

You'll lose the sun flare, etc, if you go above 4X AA....but I don't find any significant improvement above 4X anyway.

My other suggestion is to run SH4 with SLI disabled. I've read somewhere that SLI is not all it was expected to be, doesn't work well with some games (SH4??), and that the new cards (8800, 9800) match or even exceed SLI visuals.
Doolittle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 02:16 PM   #204
kwbgjh2
Bosun

Downloads: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolittle81
I also agree that a Set FPS rate (usually 60 FPS, as in my case) is what you'll get with LCD...(I have a 24" Samsung widescreen Monitor). Actually, I've never understood why people insist on having FPS above 60 anyway, other than for benchmarking bragging rights. Does it really make a difference in any game? In an academic sense, I'm curious...
And to me the main joke is the following: Disable the vertical sync option in SH4 and hit ctrl+F8 and if you system is strong enough u may see 100 fps+ but that is only the number of frames the card sends to the monitor. The monitor is still limited to 60 hertz what means max 60 fps. Beleaving in any higher number of fps displayed on LCD is just self-deception.

kwbgjh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 03:21 PM   #205
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Thanks for the replies! FPS isn't that big an issue to me, as long as I'm not looking at a slide show. Too there is a maximum of how many fps the human eye can actually "see" anyways.

I will try the 177.xx drivers, and I will also try the disabled SLI configuration too. This is also my first LCD setup with a powerhouse graphics system, and enough horsepower to push it along at a nice poke. So I was just thinkin' when I bought all these cool components, and assembling them, that I'll finally for the first time have a powerful enough rig and not have to cut back on anything, or say well, that's good enough, when it really isn't.

Thanks again guys! I'm off to test some stuff!

---------------------

Old 09-27-08, 06:54 PM   #206
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Well fellas I tried about 10 different driver versions, and I get the same issue, the only time the sun has that nice corona around it is when I disable the darn AA. If I set it to 2x, 4x, 8XQ, 8x, 16X, or 16XQ, I lose the nice lighting effects, and the rest of the picture looks like it's running in 256 color mode.

So it's a tossup, nice picture with jaggies, or substandard picture with no jaggies.

What a pain.

---------------------

Old 09-27-08, 07:59 PM   #207
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylander_1314
Well fellas I tried about 10 different driver versions, and I get the same issue, the only time the sun has that nice corona around it is when I disable the darn AA. If I set it to 2x, 4x, 8XQ, 8x, 16X, or 16XQ, I lose the nice lighting effects, and the rest of the picture looks like it's running in 256 color mode.

So it's a tossup, nice picture with jaggies, or substandard picture with no jaggies.

What a pain.
Do you have nhancer? if so limit your AA to 4x Multisampling and make sure that your gamma correction box is unchecked; these two maintain your sun halo and also a good smoke effect. Also try the 20000000: EA Strategy Games on AA compatibility to have a better overall AA.
All these three are the main settings to have the best AA possible on Sh3/Sh4 for nvidia cards (well, i tested them only on a single 8800GT512 since the first post date).

If this don´t work on a SLI, then, #$%@, nvidia really needs to look at their drives.

Somebody knows if the new ATi 48x0 series also have these problems with AAxsun halo&smoke?:hmm:

Cheers,

Rubini.
Old 09-28-08, 04:52 AM   #208
Aniuk
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Anybody using the NVIDIA 178.13 geforce?

Im using Forceware 177.26 on my Nvidia 8800 gts (640 MB). Thanks to this forum. But once in a while I see a flickering while running TMO, PE4 and some smaller mods. Everything else is running smoothly. Should I consider the new 178.13 drivers to get rid of this?

I'm hesitating, maybe it is to much to ask and maybe I should live with the occasional and rare flickering of the sea :hmm: anybody?
Old 09-28-08, 06:45 AM   #209
Arclight
Navy Seal

Go for it. With every new driver you should see an improvement in performance, satbility and compatibility. That's the purpose of improving the things. Of course this is a (very) idealistic view.

The 177.xx drivers saw some changes, particularly under XP they changed the way shaders were handled. AFAIK the 178.xxs should be building on that and offer an improvement.

Only way to find out is try them. Easy enough to roll back.

Old 09-28-08, 07:13 AM   #210
Aniuk
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight
Go for it. With every new driver you should see an improvement in performance, satbility and compatibility. That's the purpose of improving the things. Of course this is a (very) idealistic view.

The 177.xx drivers saw some changes, particularly under XP they changed the way shaders were handled. AFAIK the 178.xxs should be building on that and offer an improvement.

Only way to find out is try them. Easy enough to roll back.
Ok thanks. convincing!! I'll go for it. Like I did last time, Large Task Force in the Sea of China, only 4 DD's. Had to roll back to a saved game then. Didnot stand a change :rotfl:

happy hunting,

Aniuk